Too Pc?

ai_Droid

A bbc presenter phoned a taxi company and asked, off air, for a white, preferably female driver to collect her 14 year old daughter. She was sacked from her job.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/343...ughter-out.html

Was she being racist? Or was she just protecting her daughter? That protection was mis-judged, but is that the same as being racist? How come asking for a woman wasn't stated being discriminatory but asking for a white driver is?

Or on the other hand you could say she's not only being racist, but she's potentially raising a racist too, but did she despite that deserve the sacking? Do her off air dealings with a taxi company justify the BBC's action?

I'm of the opinion that she was certainly wrong, misguided and someone should set her straight, but a sacking is a step too far.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What she actually said was

A guy with a turban on is going to freak her out.
which is a little bit different to how you put it. But the fact still comes down to personal choice, she was a customer, she was paying for a service and should be able to have it tailor-made to her needs as she sees fit and not be penalised or sacked for it. You are definitely right, everything is too PC.

Was she being racist? Or was she just protecting her daughter? That protection was mis-judged, but is that the same as being racist? How come asking for a woman wasn't stated being discriminatory but asking for a white driver is?

I'd guess she was being racist and sexist.

She should have used her own mobile for the call

What she actually said was
A guy with a turban on is going to freak her out.
which is a little bit different to how you put it. But the fact still comes down to personal choice, she was a customer, she was paying for a service and should be able to have it tailor-made to her needs as she sees fit and not be penalised or sacked for it. You are definitely right, everything is too PC.

...she was a customer...but she should have been told to piss off because she is being disgustingly racist, as a lesson for her to modify her behaviour, and her behaviour and language is far more of a good reason to deny HER service rather than not accept the offering of a service from a person wearing a turban.

The 14 year old would be wary of other culture because of the mother.

And I don't know what sort of world you want to live in, but no, she should not have her service tailored made.

In a purely capitalist system, which we do not live in (fortunately), we can look at her requests as needing to be met as she is the customer demanding what she wants from the market. But we live in a slightly better system, one where much oppressive behaviour is beginning to be stamped out. She should not be allowed to oppress people in this way and should be stopped and made aware of her behaviour.

Sacking was wrong, but certainly public humiliation and demonstration of her blatant racism is well deserved!

What I would add that the title of the thread would be better saying "Too racist?". This isn't about political correctness per se. People need to wake up to the idea that as well as those ridiculous things you hear institutions ban or change, when oppressive behaviour does exist that we are too ignorant to understand the impact of it is ridiculous to rush to the term PC. PC is beginning to become a rather dodgy shield for those who aren't aware of their ignorance and bigotry.

And asking for a woman is discriminatory too and just as bad.

Edited by La_Dolce_Vita

She does not sound a very pleasant person from the recording - even ignoring her crass racism:

The operator replies: "We would class that as being racist. We can't penalise the Asian drivers and just send an English one," before Mason retorts "You've managed it before"....

When she is then passed to a male operator, she tells him that his female colleague has a "bad attitude."

She says: "I work at the BBC. I'm far from racist and that uneducated woman has no right to call me one.

When she calls someone 'uneducated' I am reminded of Franky Howard's oft used comment that "it takes one to know one".

I will not argue if she was right or wrong but I do wonder if all this song and dance would have been made if she asked for a black male driver

There would certainly have not been as much or any because it has always been the white man (women) that have oppressed the black, it doesn't run the other way. A white person could not truly oppress other white people by asking for a black driver, racism doesn't work that way. But it would be wrong still, though not as important

Then you'd be being racist, but should you lose your job for it?

Yes but she said...

I work at the BBC. I'm far from racist and that uneducated woman has no right to call me one.

That's what brings her employment into it. It seems as if she is using her position get her own way. It then becomes a matter for her employers.