Too Pc?

ai_Droid

I will not argue if she was right or wrong but I do wonder if all this song and dance would have been made if she asked for a black male driver

There would certainly have not been as much or any because it has always been the white man (women) that have oppressed the black, it doesn't run the other way. A white person could not truly oppress other white people by asking for a black driver, racism doesn't work that way. But it would be wrong still, though not as important

Of course it is bloody important racism is wrong whoever does it be they black, white or green, or are you saying racism is ok so long as it is done by a non white person (Racism = Noun - hostile or oppressive behaviour towards people because they belong to a different race ) note no distinction between races who do it. Oppression in history has nothing to do with it. One thing I can say LDV at least your well balanced as you seem to have a chip on both shoulders

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

to be honest i dont really care about it, send me any driver as long as i get home, dont worry me,

but maybe there is a reason why she asked for a white driver,

have u all ever thought that maybe this girl has been attacked by a black person, or maybe just a bad experiance of them,

and that there could be a reason as to why she wanted a white driver,

or she could not just like them

if shes been sacked because of just that then it is 2 pc, if its because of useing the bbc name then its probaly in her contract about useing it or something, havent a clue,

but i still think its prob going to be blowen out of the water just like evrything eles the papers get hold off

I will not argue if she was right or wrong but I do wonder if all this song and dance would have been made if she asked for a black male driver

There would certainly have not been as much or any because it has always been the white man (women) that have oppressed the black, it doesn't run the other way. A white person could not truly oppress other white people by asking for a black driver, racism doesn't work that way. But it would be wrong still, though not as important

Of course it is bloody important racism is wrong whoever does it be they black, white or green, or are you saying racism is ok so long as it is done by a non white person (Racism = Noun - hostile or oppressive behaviour towards people because they belong to a different race ) note no distinction between races who do it. Oppression in history has nothing to do with it. One thing I can say LDV at least your well balanced as you seem to have a chip on both shoulders

I did not say it was NOT important, just not as important. A white woman calling a taxi service to request another white woman and not a sikh (i presume) follows the recognisable racism perpetuated by white people against those of other ethnic backgrounds. History and power relationships have a LOT to do with the issue in terms of impact and oppressiveness. Regardless of dictionary definitions that only serve to explain what racism is, it is white people, especially in this country who constitute the dominant power in many power relationships between white and black. Therefore, to be racist is to oppress. In this instance the woman was being totally racist but also oppressive with it, and the impact is great because it is perpetuating stereotypes and behaviours that have a meaning in our culture that should be removed. But is she asked for a black man or a sikh or whatever she IS being racist. She is being racist because her request revolves around the colour of someone's skin. But she is not oppresses white people, it wouldn't make sense. White power are dominant in this context and she is white herself.

I was going to finish a different way, but curious, why do you think my posts on these matters mean I have a chip on my shoulder(s)?

I would prefer a woman taxi driver if I wanted to be assured of my 14 year old daughters safety...but then you can never be sure.

As for colour, that shouldn't even come into it.

you can never be too careful, ref your childrens safety in todays society. we dont know her reasoning behind the request, therefore cant judge on that, BUT, and its a big BUT, she has one, (reason), and do we need to question it, if its for the sake/safety of her kids?

some taxi firms refuse to take kids on their own, prob also thats wrong (agreed , in a diff way), but right in todays society? maybe she SHOULD have trusted a reputable company, which i presume the BBC, or employees of, would know, to send a respectable/professional/qualified driver! whatever the colour/gender!

BUT YES, TOO PC............

While I would support her asking for a woman driver for her 14-year-old daughter, I don't agree with her specifying race. Which I find interesting, I'm OK with a sexist decision but not a racist one - hmm, perhaps enlightenment is further away than I thought.

The whole phone conversation (if the transcript is accurate) shows her to be insensitive and ignorant - and using the BBC as some kind of trump card is unlikely to be a popular move with her employers who are always under scrutiny from the competition.

Justified sacking? Probably, on the evidence I've seen.

Isn't using the phone at work for your own use classed as stealing anyway?

Whatever, for a BBC local radio personality to do such a thing, and not expect repercussions, is at least naive in the extreme and deserves a sacking anyhoo, especially with all the Ross/Bland sh1t flying around at the BBC at the moment. Duh.

A bbc presenter phoned a taxi company and asked, off air, for a white, preferably female driver to collect her 14 year old daughter. She was sacked from her job.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/343...ughter-out.html

Was she being racist? Or was she just protecting her daughter? That protection was mis-judged, but is that the same as being racist? How come asking for a woman wasn't stated being discriminatory but asking for a white driver is?

Or on the other hand you could say she's not only being racist, but she's potentially raising a racist too, but did she despite that deserve the sacking? Do her off air dealings with a taxi company justify the BBC's action?

I'm of the opinion that she was certainly wrong, misguided and someone should set her straight, but a sacking is a step too far.

As far as I'm concerned, pc is bollocks, prejudice has gone on for years, between black and white and any other colours. you will never change peoples minds about something they feel strongly about, so get a life.

Edited by buzz

You should be able to get the service you are paying for.

I have asked for a particular person to deal with me on occasions as I could not understand the 'foreign person' who I dealt with on another occasion and ended up paying for a service I could not understand, nor could they understand the questions I asked.

Whether the PC brigade would class that as racist is up to them but to me if I cannot get the service I am paying for I would defend my position.

He who pays the piper ....etc.

He who pays the piper calls the tune as far as I am concerned. I have asked the call centre of my bank on a few occasions to put me through to someone who can speak english properly as I am paying for the call and am sick of having to explain something over and over again.....As it stands though, even when I do get to speak to someone in the UK they still cannot give me a straight answer so I guess its just a cr@p bank!