Too Pc?

ai_Droid

Its white people who keep up with all this pc bollocks that're keeping racism alive.
BUT YES, TOO PC............
As far as I'm concerned, pc is bollocks
Whether the PC brigade would class that as racist

Okay, a lot of people think this is about political correctness. Therefore, would someone explain how this has anything to do with political correctness because I think I missed that part. This is an issue about whether the woman's behaviour is racist or not, it is not about whether the language she used was politically incorrect or not.

you can never be too careful, ref your childrens safety in todays society. we dont know her reasoning behind the request, therefore cant judge on that, BUT, and its a big BUT, she has one, (reason), and do we need to question it, if its for the sake/safety of her kids?

I think this is missing the point. Maybe this parent does have concerns, as always would, about how her child goes from A to B on their own. But how does race fit into this? The parents MAY BE trying to ensure the protection of her child BUT in reality what would it matter whether the driver is sikh or not. Any right-thinking person should be able to recognise, unless they themselves held racist stereotypes, that the racial background of the driver has nothing to do with the childs safety. And because of that very fact and because racist is not something that should be condoned we HAVE to question it and criticise it.

While I would support her asking for a woman driver for her 14-year-old daughter, I don't agree with her specifying race. Which I find interesting, I'm OK with a sexist decision but not a racist one - hmm, perhaps enlightenment is further away than I thought.

We actually should not be all right about the sexist part of this, it makes no difference if it is a man or woman, but we are far more receptive to accusations of racism and believe it to be very different to sexism, and it isn't.

I don't see a problem asking for a women driver, you're paying for a service.

Is asking to talk to the UK based support office rather than the Indian base centre racist?

I don't know if you read my earlier response to this point, but you CANNOT just get what you want if that means being racist, homophobic, or sexist.

And asking to speak to someone in the UK depends on why you are asking. Can you not understand what the Indian person is saying? Can they not understand you? If that is the case then the issue is not a racist one. If you simply do not like the idea of having to converse with an Indian person then it is racism.

I have asked for a particular person to deal with me on occasions as I could not understand the 'foreign person' who I dealt with on another occasion and ended up paying for a service I could not understand, nor could they understand the questions I asked.

Whether the PC brigade would class that as racist is up to them but to me if I cannot get the service I am paying for I would defend my position.

When you are not receiving the service you are paying for because of communication issues then it is quite fine to ask to speak to someone else, and it is a wise assumption that someone from your own country or of your own culture is going to grasp your situation and requirements far sooner than someone else. But if you objected simply because you object to their accent and not being able to just speak with an english person then your racist reasons should certainly not be listened to at all.

prejudice has gone on for years, between black and white and any other colours. you will never change peoples minds about something they feel strongly about, so get a life.

And that is just perplexing. So your opinion is that because prejudice has gone on for such a long time we should resign ourselves to it and allow it? Why should we? Why not stop it and change these ideas that people have that are based on false assumptions and damaging stereotypes?

And prejudice has NOT gone on in the same manner and in a reciprocal manner between black and white. It has been white people who managed to enforce and reinforce their dominance in discourse and in society, and only until relatively recently has this been changed. But the extent and impact of racism originating from black and other communties against white people cannot even begin to compare to that perpetrated by whites.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus, give it a rest. As far as i've read, she started out just asking if they could send a taxi driver that isn't asian, which is fair enough imo, she's paying for the taxi and doesn't want to worry her young daughter. You're only reading a manuscript of what was said, not any tone of the conversation. She said to the manager that the lady had a bad attitude, so i can read into that the taxi call girl was being pretty negative and unhelpful, hence the "look if someone turns up in a turban its going to freak her out" comment, which in itself is not racist, in fact none of what this woman has said can be construed as racist. All the following actions equal PC bollocks.

La Dolce, its people like you keeping racism alive, you're the people who keep bringing up the cultural divide, you're the real racists with your, over-the-top, patronisms. If this woman had asked for an english driven taxi, got one, kept her job and no outcry, all would be fine, there would be no racism, as it is, people who do think we are all different, usually whites, do outcry and racism is alive and well. Strange world we live in.

Edited by the mo beats experience

If this woman had asked for an english driven taxi, got one, kept her job and no outcry, all would be fine, there would be no racism

No, there still would be, you just wouldn't have heard about it.

I understand all this stuff about struggling to make yourself understood to a foreigner and that can be good grounds to ask for someone with better communication skills but this was a taxi driver! They're the lowest of the low, the dumbest of the dumb and the only thing their job relies on is the ability to get from A to B without crashing. Seeing as this woman already said it was nothing to do with language, it was all about her daughter being freaked out by asians in turbans (!), then it's a bit of a red herring to throw in the language issue.

Really surprised how many people in this thread aren't seeing what's so wrong about what she said.

A couple of points:

One is that minicab drivers in all the major UK cities have a reputation for being unreliable. This is often because they are recently arrived immigrants who don't really know their way around the area that they're working in or, with English often being their second language, have problems with communication. (N.B. regardless of colour)

There is also a perception that young white females are particularly at risk from assault by ethnic males and it is clearly a perception that this particular female endorsed in trying to be protective of her daughter.

Had she simply declared a preference for a female driver, there probably would not have been any problem (even if some would regard that as 'sexist').

I am not, in any way, condoning, what the lady said; but the part I find annoying is "Mason was subsequently suspended and then fired 24 hours later when the operator passed a transcript of the conversation on to The Sun newspaper, who then contacted the BBC."

I will do my best to ignore the clearly slanderous statement made by ans since I've no doubt that those more intelligent than he will be aware that 'the lowest of the low, the dumbest of the dumb' are actually employed by the Sun newspaper and are far better rewarded than the average, hard-working and honest taxi driver - most of whom are at least as intelligent as Fred Housego. ;)

A couple of points:

One is that minicab drivers in all the major UK cities have a reputation for being unreliable. This is often because they are recently arrived immigrants who don't really know their way around the area that they're working in or, with English often being their second language, have problems with communication. (N.B. regardless of colour)

There is also a perception that young white females are particularly at risk from assault by ethnic males and it is clearly a perception that this particular female endorsed in trying to be protective of her daughter.

Had she simply declared a preference for a female driver, there probably would not have been any problem (even if some would regard that as 'sexist').

I am not, in any way, condoning, what the lady said; but the part I find annoying is "Mason was subsequently suspended and then fired 24 hours later when the operator passed a transcript of the conversation on to The Sun newspaper, who then contacted the BBC."

I will do my best to ignore the clearly slanderous statement made by ans since I've no doubt that those more intelligent than he will be aware that 'the lowest of the low, the dumbest of the dumb' are actually employed by the Sun newspaper and are far better rewarded than the average, hard-working and honest taxi driver - most of whom are at least as intelligent as Fred Housego. ;)

presumably the taxi operator was subsequently fired for being in a breach of her contract by divulging company proceedings to a 3rd party

where are you getting your taxis?? i, on many occasions visit england and have to say the majority of taxis i HAVE to get, ie, no choice of alternatives, and yes, in a major city, the drivers turn up in full national costume, can hardly speak the queens, and I HAVE TO GIVE THEM DIRECTIONS..........

but this was a taxi driver! They're the lowest of the low, the dumbest of the dumb and the only thing their job relies on is the ability to get from A to B without crashing - whilst: not indicating, not looking where they are going, cutting people up, moaning about the new taxi licencing regulations, moaning about how quiet things have got recently, and talking to their mates on the mobile phone...

Fixed.

Jesus, give it a rest. As far as i've read, she started out just asking if they could send a taxi driver that isn't asian, which is fair enough imo, she's paying for the taxi and doesn't want to worry her young daughter. You're only reading a manuscript of what was said, not any tone of the conversation. She said to the manager that the lady had a bad attitude, so i can read into that the taxi call girl was being pretty negative and unhelpful, hence the "look if someone turns up in a turban its going to freak her out" comment, which in itself is not racist, in fact none of what this woman has said can be construed as racist. All the following actions equal PC bollocks.

La Dolce, its people like you keeping racism alive, you're the people who keep bringing up the cultural divide, you're the real racists with your, over-the-top, patronisms. If this woman had asked for an english driven taxi, got one, kept her job and no outcry, all would be fine, there would be no racism, as it is, people who do think we are all different, usually whites, do outcry and racism is alive and well. Strange world we live in.

It's hard for me to not think you are utterly ignorant of what prejudice is.

She doesn't want to worry her daughter by having an asian man drive the taxi. You have to question why she believes that worry would come about, and recognise how it is irrational and how it constitutes prejudice. There are no valid reasons for this request. It is unacceptable to tailor a service based on prejudices that leads to oppressive practises taking place. It simply isn't good enough to state that she BELIEVES that an asian person driving the taxi would lead her to have concerns. The tone of her conversation it completely irrelevent because her message conveys the racism itself.

You can have the sweetest, loveliest person come out with the most vile racist comments, she may not recognise the racism but it is still racism.

"look if someone turns up in a turban its going to freak her out" - Of course this is racist. The woman is making an allusion to Sikhs or possibly Arab drivers and making a statement that simply because of their appearance they will scare her daughter. Now the turban is their cultural clothing, as tarty dressed woman on a weekend might be ours. Now it is not the driver's fault that the mother is ignorant and that the daughter may have had no interaction with other Sikhs, yet a driver may be sidelined in his job due to this racist request.

PC doesn't even enter this issue. Racism very much does. To poo poo this as yet another bonkers PC thing is to completely ignorant of this oppressive behaviour.

Now as for your second paragraph, what a load of rubbish. I am keeping racism alive? If you hadn't already noticed it is something that is FAR from dead. But what I am interested in knowing is exactly how I am bringing up a cultural divide? Please go ahead and inform me as from my perspective it is YOU who placing importance on the racial and cultural divide, not me. You are the one who would condone the woman's behaviour which effectively seeks to highlight a cultural or racial division. I am simply recognising that this is what is happening.

I don't understand how if the woman was able to get an English driver afer having excluded Asian drivers this would not be racist.

And though you mind find what you don't understand to over-the-top patronisms at least try and understand what racism and prejudice are and how they occur. I think it far more likely that those who are ignorant of what constitutes prejudice and its effects in society are the ones far more likely to be actively racist.

What she could have asked for is a driver who speaks clear English, which is an understandable request. There is nothing wrong with that, but rather this woman placed emphasis on the cultural background of the driver.

Sikhism is a religion - not a race. Just pointing that out, not debating it.

Sikhism is a religion, quite right. But Sikhs are Indian and or may be British in this instance. So this is in no way limited to religion. One need only look at the request of the mother to see that the issue is not about religion per se, it is about the appearance of a sikh, which demonstrates a different culture.

Sikhism is a religion, quite right. But Sikhs are Indian and or may be British in this instance. So this is in no way limited to religion. One need only look at the request of the mother to see that the issue is not about religion per se, it is about the appearance of a sikh, which demonstrates a different culture.

Ballcocks! Anyone can be a Sikh, even you if you want. Just pointing that out, not debating it ;)

Ballcocks! Anyone can be a Sikh, even you if you want. Just pointing that out, not debating it ;)

Anyone can be, but I don't think this woman was referring to a white Sikh and there are very few about.