Seriously...

Irwezsh

Our government is made up of a bunch of Muppets.

James Brown MHK - Manx Chief Minister, an electrician and small-town shop owner. You can walk into his shop and see him being shouted at by his wife! Not exactly head of state material. What-ever Mr. Corkhill did or did not do at least he wasn't a complete idiot. Shown more and more with Mr. Brown's dealings with the UK government.

Allan Bell MHK - Treasury Minister, Educated at Ramsey School and a Retailer. Not exactly a economist, or maths graduate. Perhaps he's good behind a till?

Martyn Quayle MHK - Tourism Minister, A civil servant and later director of Isle of Man Farmers Ltd, once again involved in some sort of retail. I don't know what he did in the civil service, but still not sure he is good material for being in charge of second biggest areas of income.

William Teare MHK - Health and Social Security Minister, He's a ****ing banker, what the hell! Why, oh why is he in charge of our health?

Annie Craine MHK - Education Minister, Okay so she sat on the board of education for a bit, but why not make the teacher 14 years, John Shimmin DoE Minister, scared he might know what he's talking about?

David Cretney MHK - Trade and Industry Minister, might be the first okay placements, once again a shop owner, is often described as a businessman though. Maybe he's not too bad. That's a big maybe, he's better here than in Tourism.

Adrian Earnshaw MHK - Local Clown (Home Affairs Minister), made up such a cock-up in tourism, he was moved... Why not take his ministerial position?

David Anderson MHK - Transport Minister, a farmer in charge of transport, why not DAFF? *sigh*

Phil Gawne MHK - DAFF Minister, at least he's a bit of a character. Not a position for him though, once again a shop owner (or I should post office), at least he's got a University Education.

John Shimmin MHK - DoLGE Minister, See Annie Craine

In politics you get what you deserve; who voted these people in?

Of all the people you list, the two who have any true standing or gravitas are John Shimmin and Alan Bell, IMHO.

However, before getting on a high horse you may just want to check the names, last I heard of James Brown he was knocking out a few tunes and William Teare may not be happy taking the flak for his brother, Eddie.

Perhaps we should stop having elections and just put those born as ministers straight into the position when they undergo their rites of passage into adulthood? I for one am against ordinary people being voted in by ordinary people to run a country on their behalf. Long live hereditary ministerhoods!

On another subject...

Our political commentators are muppets!

Irwezsh - some gimp with 17 forum posts to their name with just enough knowledge of the realities of living in a small democracy to make them go off on one for no particular reason on internet forums! Why isn't he heading the BBC's political coverage of the Island instead of being relegated to leaving anonymous comments online?!

Edited by Dr Gonzo

James Brown MHK - Manx Chief Minister....

For a dead soul man he's not doing too bad a job. I love it when he shouts "Say it loud - I'm black and I'm proud" followed by an emphatic "Huh" every time he's asked a question in Tynwald. Then wins the debate by saying "Everybody get up and do my thang".

A really major question is why Manx politics is attractive to people drawn from retail and trade and seems so unattractive to managers, entreupreneurs and professions needing advanced qualifications - does a single MHK have a higher degree - oh heck - the bishop, but then again he's in Legco?

I'm not necessarily knocking the retail and trade professions - they are hard work, take nouse and require an understanding of the local market.

That in away is, I think, the answer to my original question - lets be realistic, Manx politicians are going to have difficulty actually doing anything major. Nouse and local tactical awareness is a skill in a local councillor - and lets get off our little Mann high horse the IOM government has no more power than a small UK Council - IOM government budget £600 million odd - Kings Lynn & West Norfolk Borough Council £300 million.

Our MHKs are spectators on the world's events - and have little ability to do anything particularly influential - even for Manx citizens - they've been totally irrelevent in the Icelandic bank problems etc. The results are parochial debates and parish pump politics - these have a role - people do need to have someone to complain about traffic lights, traffic wardens and dogs on the beach, but lets face it, it isn't a career to attract a real go getter, more someone who wants to get mucking in to the local community - and that is what we've got.

Me - I think we need to rationalize the tiers of government - flatten the structure massively; creating a semi-unified local system (North, South, West, Douglas) and have a smaller, but more professional upper body. Plus the department of Tourism needs to be abolished and its functions rolled into Home Affairs and DTI - which should be remained Department for Trade, Industry and Services.

James Brown MHK - Manx Chief Minister....

For a dead soul man he's not doing too bad a job. I love it when he shouts "Say it loud - I'm black and I'm proud" followed by an emphatic "Huh" every time he's asked a question in Tynwald. Then wins the debate by saying "Everybody get up and do my thang".

Excellent! :D

Regarding Richard Corkill, many people in Onchan now realise what a good politian he was. Perhaps that is by comparison with who they voted in last time, I don't know.

I would say though, that if he was unable to diplomatically resolve a spat with a couple of gruff local builders, he might not have been too useful as an Island representative with the big boys in Westminster. I would probably be happy enough discussing piles ointment or something with him, but let's not go there.

A really major question is why Manx politics is attractive to people drawn from retail and trade and seems so unattractive to managers, entreupreneurs and professions needing advanced qualifications - does a single MHK have a higher degree - oh heck - the bishop, but then again he's in Legco?

Popularity? A local shopowners going to be known by the voters, where a manager at a bank dealing with offshore clients isn't ever going to get any kind of local exposure.

Also, who'd want to do it? Last thing I'd want to do.

Popularity? A local shopowners going to be known by the voters, where a manager at a bank dealing with offshore clients isn't ever going to get any kind of local exposure.

Also, who'd want to do it? Last thing I'd want to do.

But doesn't that really say something about the electorate - here are two C.V.s one for a prominent local politician, and a made up one of your banker dealing with offshore clients, are people really going to choose the person they can buy a bog brush from? Why is he more "popular"?

- I run the local electrical and hardware store, was a part time dance hall DJ, became a local councillor and then an MHK for 20 odd years sitting on various commitees, holding Ministerial Positions and then wearing a wig and saying order, order for a number of years.

Verses

- I have a BA in Economics, and an MBA, have been a Chartered Financial Analyst for 20 years. I have brokered multiple multi-million pound deals and have been a non-executive director of various Manx based financial companies, enabling me to understand the business community and the needs of the employees in this vital sector of the IOM's economy.

I really hope that in an election, the bogbrush salesman would loose out, but have a feeling that he would be re-elected mainly for him taking credit for things that happened on his watch.

But basically I feel that one of the main problems is that it is highly unlikely that such a banker would ever stand - as I said earlier they aren't interested in dogs running on beaches, a section of footpath on private land and re-invigorating the tourist industry.

Until there is a better separation of the parish politics from real relevent decision making they just won't stand.

Heck another random idea - expand the Keys - move the councillors up a level and make them MHKs, but cut out the redundancy - turn the councils into commitees of the Keys - you'd end up with fewer overall politicians and the local debates would go on within the relevent comittees leaving genuine pan-island and international issues for a group of real ministers with genuine powers questioned by the full Keys.

The speaker would be genuinely powerful because he'd set the agenda - no this is not a relevent question for the main chamber and should be directed to the committee etc etc.

This is of course just a random suggestion on an internet forum - but one thing is clear to me - the Island needs political reform.

I favour a total consitutiona review - separation of Church from state, clarity in our relation with the Monarch and the UK, democratic reform/abolishion of Legco and a restructuring of local government. These issues are too fuzzy and woolly with multiple overlapping oversight which is badly done with few taking responsiblillity and lots of comments from the peanut gallery - its no way to ensure a prosperous society.

- I have a BA in Economics, and an MBA, have been a Chartered Financial Analyst for 20 years. I have brokered multiple multi-million pound deals and have been a non-executive director of various Manx based financial companies, enabling me to understand the business community and the needs of the employees in this vital sector of the IOM's economy.

But you probably wouldn't want to do the job on an MHK's salary when you can earn far more in finance

Chinahand...IMO, until we come up with better ways/incentives to encourage higher calibre candidates to come forward, I think the electoral cycle and the results we get from it is doomed to repeat itself. If the sh1t hits the fan over here economically over the next couple of years, that might be the first catalyst towards change.

Also, IMO, if LV had been started and driven more by someone other than PK (or other existing MHKs had got onboard), perhaps we might have seen a meaningful change via that too. I think if PK really wants to see the island benefit from party politics, he should take that thought on board and use himself as a vehicle to recruit higher calibre people and other MHKs - and take a back seat and get away from thinking he is the new 'Brian'.

Regarding Richard Corkill, many people in Onchan now realise what a good politian he was.

I always did think he was a good politician, especially when compared to some of the alternatives. I always voted for him, which is why I was so disapointed with him regarding with the Ballacain saga