Apple Iphone And Manx Telecom

£96.89 for the 8 meg 3G model @ £29.38 per month for unlimited 3G data and WIFI looks good.

The 3.0 software update offers tethering to a laptop [ie use your iphone as a 3G modem] -> therefore for lots of people this is moving towards a deal which will also be all the internet they need in a single package. That's with 75 minutes talk. £5 more gives them 600 minutes.

Are you saying that the O2 prices seems relatively cheap or relatively expensive ?

For 18 months? Expensive! That's £640 quid for the term of the contract for the cheapest version? That's crackers money for a mobile phone. I can't understand how people bleat so hard about broadband costs but accept these kind of iphone tariffs without a blink.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^ seems 02 have decided to impose a charge for tethering. Although i bet that they will end up changing their minds.

Guardian

Apple has explicitly allowed such "tethering" in the new version of the software controlling the iPhone, which will be released on June 19.

But O2 has decided that it will impose an extra monthly charge to allow such use. A 3GB allowance costs £14.68 per month, and a 10GB allowance costs £29.36 per month.

For 18 months? Expensive! That's £640 quid for the term of the contract for the cheapest version? That's crackers money for a mobile phone. I can't understand how people bleat so hard about broadband costs but accept these kind of iphone tariffs without a blink.

Well in some ways I agree. But then I'm relatively tight with money and don't really see the point of paying for 3G data on the IOM which is so small that I'm seldom far from my own wifi. Or if I'm in a city somewhere then there is almost certainly wifi. Or I'll go to Starbucks or even McDonalds.

And if I'm away from wifi and really need 3G or Edge then I'm definitely not on the IOM and there is no way I'm going to pay roaming charges so will get a local sim card and a usb stick.

So yeah - I see where you are coming from. But I think that goes for 3G data charges in general and not just the iPhone. Give or take a few quid.

• 2 weeks later...

Ariel from page 16:

The latest date Apple said was they will be in 30 countries by August. Until we have information about cost and expected date I can't say anything about how much they will be, I will keep pushing to find out more and ultimately to get them in for sale as quickly as possible!

On the subject of the 3GS, rather than take the massive hit on buying myself out of my current iPhone 3G contract (six months in, twelve to go), only then to give MT another wedge of cash to get a 3GS, and then have a fresh 18 month contract on top of that, I figure I'll just get a properly unlocked brand new 3GS off Fleabay, sell on my current 3G as fully unlocked (they fetch good cash in the UK), and simply remain on my existing 3G contract.

Presumably MT have no way of knowing which handset my SIM is in, as I'm just using a different fully unlocked iPhone on the network?

It seems to me this would be much cheaper than doing everything via MT, unless I'm missing something?

When will MT have a 3G network that actually works properly? I have to switch my 3G off as when it's on my iphone can't even handle txt messages and seems to store them up until I switch 3G off.

I never have a problem with it TBH (either on my iPhone or my previous handset), when I was over in the UK recently I was shocked at how shit the 3G in a major city was compared to what we have over here, in terms of both connectivity and speeds.

Are you sure it's not a problem with your phone?

Presumably MT have no way of knowing which handset my SIM is in, as I'm just using a different fully unlocked iPhone on the network?

It makes no difference to the Telco what phone you are using, you pay for the contract which includes 2gb of data, this data is included in the APN that connects to the network. Networks can tell if its not an Iphone so if you were using another phone, like a nokia and you used up 2gb of data then you (Might.) be charged because its not being used by the iphone. If you are going to buy a 3GS (we all seen this coming but no date was put on the release so I do feel sorry for people who have just signed up for an 18 month iphone.) then it will not make a difference to the contract because in effect all you have done is swapped handset to a similar model.

When will MT have a 3G network that actually works properly? I have to switch my 3G off as when it's on my iphone can't even handle txt messages and seems to store them up until I switch 3G off.

I never have a problem with it TBH (either on my iPhone or my previous handset), when I was over in the UK recently I was shocked at how shit the 3G in a major city was compared to what we have over here, in terms of both connectivity and speeds.

Are you sure it's not a problem with your phone?

I get the opposite, when in the UK (London) the 3G network was working superb. It's the same on the other iPhones we have in the office. Seems to hold all the sms messages and then if you turn 3G off it seems to flood them all through. Oh well...