Perfect World

DjDan

_45207759_466-ap-exodus.jpg

_45227916_pa_fireworks466.jpg

I feel it is very sad to see how selfish and inward looking our world has become. This issue was highlighted to me in watching the BBC News this morning. In one report they talked about the crisis in Congo, and how Aid agencies were pleading for more financial assistance to desperately feed those people who have been displaced from their homes, comfort and food supply. Yet - on the next BBC News report, it showed the lavious party held in Dubai celebrating the launch of the world's most expensive hotel.

On the one hand we have intense suffering:

The UN said on Monday that "up to 100,000 people" including 60,000 children, had fled the fighting in the past week alone, adding that 250,000 had been displaced since the resumption of fighting at the end of August.

On the other we have extreme luxuries:

As fitting with the luxury destination's budget, the opening was touted as the most expensive private party of all time, costing in the region of £20 million for the evening's festivities.

Following the performance, and the sky was lit up at midnight with a record-breaking fireworks display, which featured £7million worth of computer-guided rockets, making it seven times bigger than the display which opened the Beijing Olympics.

Just how many lives would £20 million save if that were gifted to Aid agencies in Congo?

This world has gone mad.

Enjoy a HUGE CELEBRATION - for ONE night.... or save hundreds, if not thousands of lives.

Please tell me I am not alone in thinking this?

It is a very sad world when people simply do not care about others, and get carried away in their own selfish greed.

Edited by DjDan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO

The problems in the Congo will not go away no matter how much money is spent on aid (this has been tried with many African nations and problems still exist) - corrupt governments (not just in Africa) seem to be one of the main reasons for the problems inflicted on people.

I admit to not being knowledgable enough about what can be done to help but just whining about countries spending money on luxuries sure ain't doing any good - if you care enough get your act together and find out how to help!

I appreciate that, but it's not really about me. The point of the topic is not about how to solve the 'problems' of Congo, but a comparison of how while the rich enjoy their lives and [waste] £7 million on a fireworks display, that same amount of money could save the lives of innocent and unfortunate people.

That is what i find so disappointing.

I appreciate that, but it's not really about me. The point of the topic is not about how to solve the 'problems' of Congo, but a comparison of how while the rich enjoy their lives and [waste] £7 million on a fireworks display, that same amount of money could save the lives of innocent and unfortunate people.

That is what i find so disappointing.

It is about you and anybody else who feels the need to denigrate others -

It's not your compassion or words they need -

If it gets to you so much get off your ass and do something!

Many rich people enjoy their lives and still give plenty of aid to the less fortunate - you can't expect people not to enjoy themselves just 'cos of the amount of money available to them.

It is about you and anybody else who feels the need to denigrate others -

It's not your compassion or words they need -

If it gets to you so much get off your ass and do something!

Many rich people enjoy their lives and still give plenty of aid to the less fortunate - you can't expect people not to enjoy themselves just 'cos of the amount of money available to them.

You seem like a nice friendly chap...