Browns Of Laxey

My wife and I have just had the most foul take away from Brown's. For a kick off the girl who was serving didn't know the prices and just seemed to randomly hit the keys on the till, we were vastly over charged to the tune of about £5! The amount of oil that was left in the polystyrene tray was unreal, not to mention the amount that had pooled in the food itself. The fish was tough and full of bones, yes I know fish have bones but you go to Peel, Port Erin or even Port Jack (at a push) and you will NEVER find a bone in your fish. I can't believe that yet again we are being served over priced gruel and expected to put up with it. I hope who ever owns this place reads and takes note. Until then I'll be going to Peel for my fish supper.

That mirrors my own experience.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whatever happened to her lovely daughter?

• 2 weeks later...

Browns cafe/restraunt/chippy/chinese/indian/kebab house or whatever its trading under has become somewhat of a mystery? Reflection of personality perhaps? Its obvious that working conditions arnt great for staff employed there as they never seem too impressed to see a customer.Misery from above perhaps? I think browns has great potential arguably the best spot in laxey just a shame its in the wrong hands with the wrong ideas,how many more expensive errors before we get our browns back!

Agree. I've been again based on a decent experience last time. This time, total muck! Under cooked, soggy pale battered fish(with bones) and smelly chips.(Its time to change the oil I think!) And there was no one else there so not because they were busy. Even the mushy peas were watery and tasteless.

How someone can make that much investment in a place and then not concentrate on the most important things, quality and consistency, is beyond me. They seem to be too busy outside having a fag!

The outside area, which would be a nice attraction is a tip. Loads of higgledy bits of tired furniture, a broken fridge and a scrap heap at the back. Weeds and ovegrowth everywhere. What a shame. Its the attention to detail which will win over on the day. The fact is that if your sitting in the dump outside surronded by uglyness then the food always gets the full brunt of the critique.

Come on guys. It could be great. Cleanliness is so important. Tidy up, cook the food properly and make it a positive experience. Not worth the visit at the moment and the locals will vote with their feet i'm afraid.

Agree. I've been again based on a decent experience last time. This time, total muck! Under cooked, soggy pale battered fish(with bones) and smelly chips.(Its time to change the oil I think!) And there was no one else there so not because they were busy. Even the mushy peas were watery and tasteless.

How someone can make that much investment in a place and then not concentrate on the most important things, quality and consistency, is beyond me. They seem to be too busy outside having a fag!

The outside area, which would be a nice attraction is a tip. Loads of higgledy bits of tired furniture, a broken fridge and a scrap heap at the back. Weeds and ovegrowth everywhere. What a shame. Its the attention to detail which will win over on the day. The fact is that if your sitting in the dump outside surronded by uglyness then the food always gets the full brunt of the critique.

Come on guys. It could be great. Cleanliness is so important. Tidy up, cook the food properly and make it a positive experience. Not worth the visit at the moment and the locals will vote with their feet i'm afraid.

I'm surprised at the bad comments regarding the new chippy at Browns. I was always underwhelmed when I went to Douglas for my fish and chips having given up on Peel when it changed hands. I tried it a few days after it opened and found the food was great. Now I'm a regular. After our meal we popped outside for a ciggy the other day and had a good long chat to the proprietor who was indeed having a smoke herself after a busy period! I only heard good comments as customers left. The portions are excellent, the fish was cooked fresh and the wine was good and inexpensive. My nephew is hooked on the milkshakes!

Compared to what it was I think they've worked absolute wonders.

I'm surprised at the bad comments regarding the new chippy at Browns. I was always underwhelmed when I went to Douglas for my fish and chips having given up on Peel when it changed hands. I tried it a few days after it opened and found the food was great. Now I'm a regular. After our meal we popped outside for a ciggy the other day and had a good long chat to the proprietor who was indeed having a smoke herself after a busy period! I only heard good comments as customers left. The portions are excellent, the fish was cooked fresh and the wine was good and inexpensive. My nephew is hooked on the milkshakes!

Don't worry we are used to someone joining the forum and their very first post is to praise an establishment everone else is stating you should avoid, please tell your employer or relative we have noted the comments.

had a very interesting conversation last night in a pub in laxey with a group of locals.Talking about wheres good to eat and funny enough browns was mentioned.These guys swear browns was very good and on the verge of something and yes with the current owners about 2 years ago.From what i can gather browns had a cracking chef, trade was ok, word was getting round then he was told to wait on tables?Apparently he was very good at that too, customers always asking after him, bit of a joker, local lad well known, then hes sacked or told they couldnt afford his wages.Then a waitress who has to wear gloves because of a skin condition is employed in the kitchen to handle food.Madness at its madest.So you see i couldnt possibly have any sympathy for them after hearing this all there problems are employed by the couple who own the place together.The local people have voted and not just with there feet there are surprisingly many other good places to eat in laxey i recommend the pub grup?Lets hope they dont try to buy the queens or the mines!

things people do for a free meal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Ate at Browns mid-September 2010. Steamed haddock & jacket potato with salad and a shandy. Quick service, good food, clean establishment.

Under new management now with much having been spent on refurbishment, safety and improvements. Easy to park nearby. Negative comments above likely to have accrued from past ownership, or memories of such.