Home Heating Settings

TomTucker

You want to get a programmable Thermostat so that you can set different temperatures for different times of the day, a lower temp for when you are active during the day and a slightly higher temp when you aren't doing much in the evening. Lots out there and usually a pretty simple switch over from the old dial type.

http://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co.uk/pro...ts-c-21_31.html

You should also consider getting your house insulation updated in both the rood space and the walls. I think there are government grants to help with this.

house is a cavity wall insulated thermalite block, legoland jobby about 5 years old so apart from a bit of rockwool in the attic cant see theres much more i can do.

i have 2 way valves on each radiator with the usual increments they dont strike me as thermostatic as this would imply that they open when the radiator has

given up some of its heat. have just run the boiler on constant and the turned the thermostat down to 5degrees and after a while the heating went off so thermostat must work ok. i have turned it up to 15degrees and the heating came on so will try it at that.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i have 2 way valves on each radiator with the usual increments they dont strike me as thermostatic as this would imply that they open when the radiator has

given up some of its heat. have just run the boiler on constant and the turned the thermostat down to 5degrees and after a while the heating went off so thermostat must work ok. i have turned it up to 15degrees and the heating came on so will try it at that.

You definitely should consider putting thermostatic valves on those rads.

You definitely should consider putting thermostatic valves on those rads.

had a quick read online and they seem like a good idea for the long term so long as i plan to keep the heating on constantly, as i am presently trying this as a proof of concept ill have to wait and see how it works out. thanks for your advice tho.

i have 2 way valves on each radiator with the usual increments they dont strike me as thermostatic as this would imply that they open when the radiator has given up some of its heat

If they look similar to this they are thermostatic. It's unusual for a new build house these days for them not to be.

post-96-1228326472_thumb.jpg

You want to get a programmable Thermostat so that you can set different temperatures for different times of the day, a lower temp for when you are active during the day and a slightly higher temp when you aren't doing much in the evening. Lots out there and usually a pretty simple switch over from the old dial type.

http://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co.uk/pro...ts-c-21_31.html

You should also consider getting your house insulation updated in both the rood space and the walls. I think there are government grants to help with this.

Yes, they do. I think DLGE will pay half the cost.

I want a boost button on my boiler :(

I asked Mrs Stav if she had a 'boost button' and she said yes, it's connected to end of her foot it'll boost me up the backside next time I ask her any dumb arse questions!

I'll take that as a no then.

Whack the thermostat up to max, or take it out completely - they are next to useless anyway and if you haven't got them already, put thermostatic rad valves in. Then, heat the rooms you use the most to the desired temperature. It doesn't take long to figure out where to set the rad valve to get the desired temperature - just adjust it upwards until you are comfortable. You can then switch off any rads in rooms you don't use.

Presently I have the hallway, kitchen, conservatory and spare bedroom radiators switched off completely with just the lounge, bedroom and bathroom heated.

Unfortunatly that will not work fully if you have a correctly plumbed system as you need one rad without thermostatic valves to allow a flow loop for the system which is why you make sure this is in your index area with the thermostat

Whack the thermostat up to max, or take it out completely - they are next to useless anyway and if you haven't got them already, put thermostatic rad valves in. Then, heat the rooms you use the most to the desired temperature. It doesn't take long to figure out where to set the rad valve to get the desired temperature - just adjust it upwards until you are comfortable. You can then switch off any rads in rooms you don't use.

Presently I have the hallway, kitchen, conservatory and spare bedroom radiators switched off completely with just the lounge, bedroom and bathroom heated.

Unfortunatly that will not work fully if you have a correctly plumbed system as you need one rad without thermostatic valves to allow a flow loop for the system which is why you make sure this is in your index area with the thermostat

never heard of a bypass valve?

We currently have our roomstat set to 17.5C, house is cavity wall insulated and loft insulated, all rads have TRV's (except the bathroom of course) set to around 2 and the temp in the house is comfortable

When it's bath/shower time for the kids, we just turn the stat up to about 20C for 10 mins or so beforehand

Edited by RC-Drift.com

never heard of a bypass valve?

A bypass valve will ensure the flow but will not give an index space temp for optimum heating control plus not many systems have them installed nor do many people know where to put them correctly

One of the things I used to find when talking to customers about the thermostatic rad valves, was the fact that most people tend to only run the heating for maybe a couple of hours ( due to fuel costs ) in the morning before work or school, and another few hours in the evening ( again due to fuel costs )...Only problem I saw in doing that was the fact that the rooms would only just be getting hot enough for the thermostatic valves to activate, then the heating would be due to go off on it's timer...which in my mind was negating the use of the thermostatic valves...which would bring you back to the OP's question of, is it cheaper to have the heat on all day and use the thermostatic valves as the contols for each individual room ??, which I suspect only the person that pays the fuel bill would be able to answer...same thing would apply to the question of, is it cheaper to have the immersion heater on all the time ? or let the tank run to cold then put the immersion on to heat the whole tank from cold ??..

One thing I would always advise any customer wanting thermostatic valves installed is to have 1 room without the stat to act as the bypass ( in fact most modern boilers have bypass loops built in them ) and invariably that would always be the bathroom..

And as for turning rooms off you don't use, do you not think that the rooms you've left on would try to compensate for those cold areas left off ??