What Windows Vista was supposed to be may be here at last.

Several leaked versions have been doing the rounds on the torrents for the last few weeks but nobody really knows whether they're the final Beta releases.

The official Beta release from Microsoft may be out by the end of this week.

Anyone tried it yet?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the final release is due in 2 weeks i think .. the build 6.1.7000.0.081212-1400 has already been leaked and the next public version is Windows 7 beta build 7000 only both are 32 bit tho.

you can install and run windows 7 beta build 6.1.7000.0.081212-1400 without a product key.

i havent yet installed or run it yet in a virtual enviroment i am waiting for feed back at a security forum i help out at..

Edited by manxman2

I've tried it, not really in anger, but enough to have had a decent poke around and it's actually very nice. A lot of the things that were stumbling blocks to early Vista adoption are gone, they've obviously had a good long look at MacOS and been influenced by some of their cleverer ideas and, dare I say it, improved further on some. There are a few really nice little tweaks and things to get excited about.

It's cleaner, it's faster (although I'm running it virtualised so I'm comparing it to VM Vista I guess but a couple of other people with hard installs I know have said it's definitely faster than a clean install of Vista) and it's probably the first Windows OS I'm strongly considering upgrading to without waiting for the first service pack. Thumbs up MS, you've actually started to listen to your users.

installed Build 7000 today on a Dell D800 worked very well and does seem fast and stable, no wireless drivers for the laptop tho so cant see it staying on there very long. which is a shame cos i do quite like it.

Have you tried using equivalent Windows Vista drivers for the same chipset?

I'm surprised that they are bothering with a 32 bit version.

I dunno, I've been working quite a lot with the 64-bit server platforms and there's a surprising amount of stuff that still isn't available in 64-bit. There are ways to make the 32-bit counterparts work, but most of it is simply bodge work, that a lot of the time isn't supported.

I dunno, I've been working quite a lot with the 64-bit server platforms and there's a surprising amount of stuff that still isn't available in 64-bit. There are ways to make the 32-bit counterparts work, but most of it is simply bodge work, that a lot of the time isn't supported.

Surely part of where they keep going wrong is with trying to maintain backward compatibility - on both the hardware and software sides.

Windows XP is fine for everything which is already running fine on Windows XP. Now they need to draw a line in the sand and build something which doesn't have to carry a lot of legacy baggage. ETA: it would give the software industry a shot in the arm to have to release 64 bit versions based on a tighter security model too.

I heard an ex Microsoft engineer on a podcast the other day, talking about how good they hope this will be. There is a lot of trust in the guy who is leading the project apparently. He said that they have gone back to building it in c/c++ - rather than trying to do it in .net - which (he said) was part of the story of why Vista ended up in such a mess.

Lets hope that the weird Microsoft marketing people don't cock it up by trying to bring it out before it's finished (or something), or in umpteen different versions. A decent regular version of Windows (and more importantly one which people have faith in) is probably quite important for the economy. ETA: the worst outcome is that 7 ends up being another stop-gap product.

Edited by pongo

Never mind this! Windows Mobile 7 is far more important.

If the do it right it'll be all touch based and with no need for styli we can have capacative touchscreens like the ipod has. That'll mean the opportunity for the perfect mobile phone.

I.e. ones with a decent, apple-like touchscreen, but that also do loads of stuff really well and can be written for by anyone.

But I bet they won't. So non apple users will be stuck with great technical specs hampered by shitty resistive touchscreens still.

Bah.