i feel like ms have taken the piss abit really .. vista has only been out 5 minutes and will soon be made redundant after a short spell of updates as they did with xp twats..

what about us people who have only had vista 12 months out of its short shelf life will there be free upgrades or at worst subsidised upgrades..???

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Windows 7 still contains lots of the problems that Vista has though, a big issue for me was the quality of the album art on Windows Media Centre. Even if you have embedded album art in your MP3s, Windows will create new hidden thumbnails called 'albumartsmall.jpg' and will use these 200x200 size jpgs for the thumbnails

You can imagine how rubbish they look on my 30" Dell screen, even worse on a 55" HDTV. Lots of people complained about it, especially shop salesmen showing customers the wonderful Media Centre on their in store HDTVs, only to have tiny jpgs stretched out and looking awful.

Copy and Pasted from another forum

There's small tool on Microsoft's Power Toys page named Image Resizer.

Place all music files in a folder. Open that folder. Press CTRL+F and research for folder.jpg files. Select all by pressing CTRL+A. Using Image resizer resize them. Right click any ne of while all selected. You will see resize pictures option. Choose it. In popup menu choose custom and figure what size you want. DON'T CHECK resizing original. Press apply. Now you had small jpg copies of folder.jpg's named "folder (Custom).jpg.

Open main folder again. Research for folder (Custom).jpg files. Select all. Right click while all choosed. Choose renaming option. Change name into AlbumArtSmall.jpg. Apply for all. That's all

this would tend to imply you can have a better size thumbnail

Edited by mbx

Copy and Pasted from another forum

There's small tool on Microsoft's Power Toys page named Image Resizer.

Place all music files in a folder. Open that folder. Press CTRL+F and research for folder.jpg files. Select all by pressing CTRL+A. Using Image resizer resize them. Right click any ne of while all selected. You will see resize pictures option. Choose it. In popup menu choose custom and figure what size you want. DON'T CHECK resizing original. Press apply. Now you had small jpg copies of folder.jpg's named "folder (Custom).jpg.

Open main folder again. Research for folder (Custom).jpg files. Select all. Right click while all choosed. Choose renaming option. Change name into AlbumArtSmall.jpg. Apply for all. That's all

this would tend to imply you can have a better size thumbnail

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately all my album art is embedded into the tag of the MP3. Would make a lot more sense if Media Centre just looked for / and used the embedded image first

i feel like ms have taken the piss abit really .. vista has only been out 5 minutes and will soon be made redundant after a short spell of updates as they did with xp twats..

what about us people who have only had vista 12 months out of its short shelf life will there be free upgrades or at worst subsidised upgrades..???

Why on earth would you have started using Vista in the first place? It always has been, and remains, utterly shite. (I got a new laptop for the missus a few months ago, one of my absolute top priorities with it was making sure there was a full XP driver set avalable for it, so that as soon as it arrived I could rebuild it with XP.)

XP is still fully supported by MS, there's really no excuse.

By all accounts Windows 7 is just an improved and streamlined Vista, there's nothing staggeringly new about it, but it does run a hell of a lot better than Vista.

Windows 7 vs XP and Vista in multicore benchmarks... XP wins.

May be something improved upon post beta... Long live XP! :P

If you benchmarked Windows 95 against XP on a 2001 machine 95 would have been faster. That does not mean that 95 was better.

I guess it depends on your reading ability, 95 beating XP in a multicore benchmark? an '01 machine running a multicore CPU...? :huh:

Edited by Virtual_Boy

Windows 7 vs XP and Vista in multicore benchmarks... XP wins.

May be something improved upon post beta... Long live XP! :P

If you benchmarked Windows 95 against XP on a 2001 machine 95 would have been faster. That does not mean that 95 was better.

I guess it depends on your reading ability, 95 beating XP in a multicore benchmark? an '01 machine running a multicore CPU...? :huh:

Newer versions of operating systems are almost invariably slower than older versions operating systems when used on the same machines. The assumption will always be that the machines have got faster to make up for that.

Do you understand now?