Seafood In Douglas. Where Is Best?

Sidney

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mc Farlans would be my choice

The food is first class and at least they are honest about where it comes from

The other seafood option would not know local seafood from stuff farmed in a bog in Bangladesh

You may remember their picture in the press showing the chef holding up the catch of the day, one of which was a dogfish

Not the kind of thing you would eat out of choice let alone pay big money for

Also the dozens of glowing reviews were mostly posted by themselves.

I didn't think you knew what local seafood was, well you couldn't find any last year?

I find your attitude to those people who bought YOUR restaurant for MONEY from YOU absolutly abominable. Your comments and gratuitious self publicity has all the class of that wispy moustache you insist on wearing.

You should take a long hard look at yourself before you fire torpedos at everyone else you don't like. What number restaurant is Route 66 maybe number 4 in 10 years, doesn't exactly instill you with confidence, does it!

Also your charging ten quid for minced beef and chips I believe that to be a rip off in comparison.

And by the way, I walk past Tanroagan nearly every night and suprise suprise they're almost always full.

Chew on that!

MacFarlanes is fantastic, if you go for the lunctime specials it's (IIRC) £12.99 for two courses, choice of starter and main or main and pud, think you can get all three courses for a bit extra.

The main menu is quite pricey, but the food is absolutely superb, far better than you'll get in most other places.

I'm not actually a massive fish fan (and they do a decent choice of non-seafood dishes), but the fish dishes I've eaten there have been excellent.

Very highly recommended.

Ended up going to Ciapelli's in the end. Superb food, impeccable service but bloody expensive. I had the rabbit for main course (First time ever, very impressed) and the missus had the halibut.

Couldn't fault a single aspect of the whole experience, certainly proves the point that you get what you pay for!

Next year is my 40th birthday so we are planning to go the The Fat Duck, reputedly the best restaraunt in the world. Anyone been there?

Nope, but saw the place on the telly last week when he was doing his bit to save Little Chef.

Deffo a place I'd like to try out sometime, just for the egg and bacon ice cream alone! - Oh yeah, book WAY in advance!

I wouldn't mind trying Le Manoir too, my brother and father went there a few years back (lucky bastards!).

Glad you had a good night fella. :)

mr Cheeky Boy (mmmm)

Is this a case of sour grapes or smelly fishy tales ?

Is there fish in the sea around the island - YES THERE IS

Rock salmon/dogfish prepared and cooked imaginatively is a really tasty piece of fish. The other fish in the photo was hake, and aswell as lobsters, scallops, queenies, pollock, squid, soles, ling, skate, monkfish, dublin bay prawns these all come from local waters. It takes a professional chef to cook this wild harvest and not as one restaurant did - moan about the state of the industry and return to frying burgers.

May be this forum and the Where To Eat site should look at Mr Cheeky Boys accusations re glowing reports making defamatory statements - naughty

Personally I find a restaurant that bangs on about Renee Zellweger and Ewan McGregor as guests all the time a bit off-putting. It sort of cheapens the place. I've dined there and it wasn't bad the seafood was good, but get over yourselves.

Well I hate to piss on their parade again but Rene Zelwgger and Ewan McGregor ate there when I owned it

Regarding Local seafood, I have actually worked in the industry and fished here since childhood

I believe the Tanrogan owners ran a hotel in the midlands before coming here

As regards taking their money, I sold them a damn good business which continues to make them money, they were the ones who began this spat by trying to take me to court for opening Driftwood

Rock salmon/dogfish prepared and cooked imaginatively is a really tasty piece of fish. It takes a professional chef to cook this wild harvest and not as one restaurant did - moan about the state of the industry and return to frying burgers.

Imaginatively cooked dogfish, you mean disguised by a sauce and artfully arranged on a plate with some fancy garnish

This was exactly the kind of bullshit cooking which made Manx restaurants a joke amongst visitors and locals for years.

The ethos of the original tanroagan was not to "imaginatively prepare" fish dishes, it was to take the very freshest fish, cook it simply and serve it with a little salad and a bowl of good chips. Unpretentious, fresh, honest food.

The reviews we got in the national and international press speak for themselves

If we ever get our exclusive 12 mile fishing limit and control of our own fisheries then I will open another fish restaurant

Until then I will continue to sell good honest simple MANX burgers

This was exactly the kind of bullshit cooking which made Manx restaurants a joke amongst visitors and locals for years.

I'm disappointed in you cb, someone who's bleating abut the state of the fisheries and the fishing industry should be supporting the consumption of an underused fish like the dogfish to help the popular fish populations recover.

Rock salmon/dogfish prepared and cooked imaginatively is a really tasty piece of fish. It takes a professional chef to cook this wild harvest and not as one restaurant did - moan about the state of the industry and return to frying burgers.

Imaginatively cooked dogfish, you mean disguised by a sauce and artfully arranged on a plate with some fancy garnish

The ethos of the original tanroagan was not to "imaginatively prepare" fish dishes, it was to take the very freshest fish, cook it simply and serve it with a little salad and a bowl of good chips. Unpretentious, fresh, honest food.

The reviews we got in the national and international press speak for themselves

If we ever get our exclusive 12 mile fishing limit and control of our own fisheries then I will open another fish restaurant

Until then I will continue to sell good honest simple MANX burgers

Loads of UK food cooked good. do you not thihk any restrictions on fishing should extend further than just your "back yard"!??