Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Minxie

Kitchen Flooring

I'm looking at possibly getting some new flooring the replace the old lino in my kitchen. When I do replace it I want to put down something decent that will look nice and be hard wearing. Where is a good place for flooring, and any recommendations on type of flooring please?

Karndean is your best best. Looks good and bullet proof. Speak to Ken or Peter at Timberland in Onchan.

Karndean is your best best. Looks good and bullet proof. Speak to Ken or Peter at Timberland in Onchan.

seconded - superb stuff, never regretted having Karndean in our kitchen.

Not cheap though..

Seconded! Speak to my dad Peter :P

As for B&Q - stay well away! Not good quality and doesn't last as long

Seconded! Speak to my dad Peter :P

As for B&Q - stay well away! Not good quality and doesn't last as long

I've fitted plenty of B&Q laminate flooring over the years. The cheap stuff isn't great but the other flooring will last for years.

However, it's important that it's fitted properly. Regardless of how much you pay, a poorly-fitted flooring system won't last at all

Edited by Keith brief

Whereabouts in Onchan are they? Didn't they used to be in the shop on the corner near the pet shop that's now an ironing service place?

Karndean is good as is Amtico (although Amtico is more expensive).

We found ours on the internet, got the price and then called up one of our friends Graham Burden who helped us get the right stuff shipped over and then fitted it.

Does supply and fit or fit only, and is a good price.

He's in the phone book, in Laxey....

I'm looking at possibly getting some new flooring the replace the old lino in my kitchen. When I do replace it I want to put down something decent that will look nice and be hard wearing. Where is a good place for flooring, and any recommendations on type of flooring please?

B&Q had a deal on the solid wood stuff, might be worth a look.

Whereabouts in Onchan are they? Didn't they used to be in the shop on the corner near the pet shop that's now an ironing service place?

They are literally just around the corner, where the dentist used to be. Avondale Court.

A few things to think about -

Ceramic tiles look the biz, but drop an iron or heavy pan on a tile and its buggered.

Stone tiles would be my choice, but think about making your breakfast in the morning standing on a solid stone floor - its cold! Consider under floor heating. Its a natural product so the floor surface will vary - but will out live you.

Laminate - make sure its water proof, a leak from your dishwasher/washing machine/ sink trap will wreck the whole floor in an instant. It will swell when wet and can jam cupboard kick boards against appliances and cupboard frames, shagging them up to. I have a nice knife dent next to my dishwasher that I cannot match up with filler! Lay it correctly, with proper underlay and it should last.

Solid wood - warm, takes a bashing or two but needs work to keep it looking good. Important in a kitchen that is a magnet at party time.

Vinyl - don't go there - one knife dropped and you can say goodbye to the lot. Get water under it and it goes miles - try to move anything on it and it drags and ripples. Soon looks horrid and dated.

So my current choice of concrete floor with a big rug on it seems like the best bet.

Yep

Industrial chique - very 2009.