Tesco Brains

If you shop at Tesco then why would you not want a Tesco Clubcard? You'd be crazy not to - they send you money off vouchers which you can use as cash in the store.

Yes, great - and in return I tell some nameless marketing guys my name, address and shopping habits - great stuff. "Oh, look - Mr Smith bought catfood, tesco value candles and two tubes of KY Jelly - wonder what he's up to..." Why not just tell them everything about myself in exchange for some £5 vouchers? "Hey, come in to my house, have a good look around - why don't you..."

Sorry, but Tesco is a "cash only and certainly no clubcard" territory for me - I can't be against the nanny state, constant invasions of my privacy and weak data protection while telling them everything about myself every time I shop - it's just not on...

Every time I go to that miserable place, the checkout people ask the same question: "Have you got a clubcard?" And every time, my answer is the same: "Certainly not."

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is it me or does everyone find that the management and staff have no clue about how to run the place.

Order your stuff online for £5 its worth avoiding the rude, the ignorant, the inept and the smelly. Its a dreadful store full of dreadful people and as you rightly pointed out shelf stackers with dreadful personal hygiene problems.

That's how I shop all the time, rather spend the time on the computer than battling crowds in the shop. What I complain most about shopping this way is, why do those shoppers in Tesco insist on finding goods with a sell by date that expires in a few days, I often get a really big order to last a couple of weeks but half the fridge items actually run out that night. Stange on the odd occasion I go into the shop if I run out of something, I can always find fridge items with a much longer date on them. We trust these shoppers in the store to pick our goods but most of the fruit/veg and fridge items must be ready for the reduced section at a fraction of the cost I pay, we are not second class citizens and pay full price for our goods, not expecting items ready to be reduced.

Doesn't matter how often you compain about this problem, they still insist on doing it this way.

Why don't you get out of bed at a reasonable hour on a Sunday morning and do your own shopping?

I work 6 days a week and spend Sunday doing all the housework, washing and cooking for the family, who all come over for their Sunday dinner, if I shop online, I find it easier to make a shopping list over several days when I get the time, then hopefully I won't forget too much. Would be a great idea if I didn't work so many hours and have a family I guess.

I was down at 10am today, it was surprisingly quiet, the shelves were well stocked and I was able to navigate the store easily without the usual morons clogging up the aisles.

I used to always shop on a Sunday morning but once the online shopping became available, I found it easier, as I would see items on the site, I may not notice in the supermarket, it is a big advantage for me to spread the list over several days, then less risk of forgetting something when you are there, or one of the family have a browse to see if there is anything they want, as they definitely wouldn't want to come shopping with me. Working a lot more hours at work, has stopped me going on a Sunday morning now, as I just don't have the time like I used to. Think the online shopping has spoilt me, selling the items nearly out of date or brown bananas when you wouldn't pick them yourself is my biggest complaint.

Also, in the winter when the weather can be so bad, I don't get soaked loading the shopping in the car, as I usually spend about £200, so would take quite a while loading it all into the boot.

Sorry, but Tesco is a "cash only and certainly no clubcard" territory for me - I can't be against the nanny state, constant invasions of my privacy and weak data protection while telling them everything about myself every time I shop - it's just not on...

Are you bonkers? Your bleat about Nanny States, invasions of privacy and the holding of mass data amounts to an objection to centralisation and homogenization of our lives. So why do you shop at Tesco - prime movers in this initiative, a fact you acknowledge by your refusal to have a clubcard. If you are so paranoid about this firm that you won't use a bank card there, why are you supporting them. Do you see it as going behind enemy lines and tog yourself out in cammo, shades, and balacalava to foil their dasterdly CCTV?

i ordered online to avoid the uneducated school dropouts that inhabit the store. i cant believe the driver managed to start his van let alone find my house, on the other side of the island. unfortunately he managed to loose £45.00 worth of goods on the way. no explanation, no apology and i get to be questioned by their call centre staff who cant believe my story. give me shoprite any time.

If you shop at Tesco then why would you not want a Tesco Clubcard? You'd be crazy not to - they send you money off vouchers which you can use as cash in the store.

Yes, great - and in return I tell some nameless marketing guys my name, address and shopping habits - great stuff. "Oh, look - Mr Smith bought catfood, tesco value candles and two tubes of KY Jelly - wonder what he's up to..." Why not just tell them everything about myself in exchange for some £5 vouchers? "Hey, come in to my house, have a good look around - why don't you..."

Every time I go to that miserable place, the checkout people ask the same question: "Have you got a clubcard?" And every time, my answer is the same: "Certainly not."

Don't forget they are out to get you.

Just more paranoid mumbo-bollocks. So what if they know you bought a f*&king carrot. I don't think the Terror Police are coming to get you just yet. Or maybe they are.

i ordered online to avoid the uneducated school dropouts that inhabit the store. i cant believe the driver managed to start his van let alone find my house, on the other side of the island. unfortunately he managed to loose £45.00 worth of goods on the way. no explanation, no apology and i get to be questioned by their call centre staff who cant believe my story. give me shoprite any time.

Did you raise your complaint with the store or are we the lucky ones to recieve your gripe?

I'm sure Shopeshite would welcome the custom. If you could find anything in there that is.

Yes, great - and in return I tell some nameless marketing guys my name, address and shopping habits - great stuff. "Oh, look... bought catfood, tesco value candles and two tubes of KY Jelly - wonder what he's up to..."

Your suggestions, please as to what Amadeus is up to ! :ph34r:

Are you bonkers? Your bleat about Nanny States, invasions of privacy and the holding of mass data amounts to an objection to centralisation and homogenization of our lives. So why do you shop at Tesco - prime movers in this initiative, a fact you acknowledge by your refusal to have a clubcard. If you are so paranoid about this firm that you won't use a bank card there, why are you supporting them. Do you see it as going behind enemy lines and tog yourself out in cammo, shades, and balacalava to foil their dasterdly CCTV?

I've the same attitude as Amadeus to this. If you actually ask under the DPA to see the data they hold on you, they have been shown (BBC documentary) to have 10 page records about people including info such as 'diabetic' etc. If that or other 'join the dots wrongly' information gets passed to insurance companies etc. (ooh and Tesco have an insurance company don't they!) that is unfair and wrong (e.g. when it might be you shopping for granny or someone else). Sky got into similar trouble recently by announcing in one of their magazines that you had to 'opt-out' of their data collection methods.

I still shop at Tesco cos: 1. it's easy to do so, and AFAIC, 2. the opposition here is crap. If anyone asks me for my details in any shop I tell them where to get off, but if they insist, as one or two have saying 'our systems work that way' (e.g specsavers), then I pity the poor sods that live on 'Acacia' or 'Letsbe' Avenues. It's also surprising just how many people in shops don't notice when you put 'Mr M.Mouse' or 'Mr D.Duck' on forms.

I don't get any junk snail mail either, and have a junk e-mail address which I only log on to once a month as anything important only goes to my main email address. My mate has this down to a fine art. Everytime he receives a pre-paid junk mail envelope in the post, it goes back filled with Tea-Bags and other such kitchen waste.

Well it seems the power of complaining to head office does work, went in last sunday and today both just as they opened and on both occasions cleaners had already finished mopping, trolleys of produce left at end of isles out of the way whilst the carry boxes to shelves and dotcom shoppers keeping tolleys out of way, being polite as they pass and all in clean pressed uniforms. So the lesson is complain and post on a forum it sometimes works.

I don't get any junk snail mail either, and have a junk e-mail address which I only log on to once a month as anything important only goes to my main email address. My mate has this down to a fine art. Everytime he receives a pre-paid junk mail envelope in the post, it goes back filled with Tea-Bags and other such kitchen waste.

If you really were as bothered about your privacy and data as you say, then you would not be using email.

My email goes via Google. Therefore I see almost no spam. Even my old spam -> in accounts go via Google. And if you use a pop3 or IMAP client then you will not see the Google advertising either. Although personally I don't mind them showing me links.

Even your spam account probably provides marketing data about you which is more useful than you might imagine btw.

Well it seems the power of complaining to head office does work, went in last sunday and today both just as they opened and on both occasions cleaners had already finished mopping, trolleys of produce left at end of isles out of the way whilst the carry boxes to shelves and dotcom shoppers keeping tolleys out of way, being polite as they pass and all in clean pressed uniforms. So the lesson is complain and post on a forum it sometimes works.

More likely things have calmed down a bit now that the Christmas rush is over.

Edited by pongo