Patient Transfers

hi all

i have an appointment at a hospital in the uk in the next few weeks

i have heard mixed reports about the flight that now goes to chester

i am not a good traveller and am seriously considering making my own arrangements to go on the boat

it takes me all my time to go on a normal flight but believe this is only a small plane

i would appreciate hearing about anyone elses experiences on this flight before making my desicion

My Son has been going across recently for treatment in Wales but he has been flying on the normal flights with Flybe and then hiring a car in Liverpool to get to Wales, the hire car cost is sent to him by cheque on His return to the Island. I think he also has the option of a Taxi transfer from the Airport to Wales as well. He said everything is ok and its just like a normal trip across (apart from the worry of the Hospital Visit )

Hope this Helps

My Son has been going across recently for treatment in Wales but he has been flying on the normal flights with Flybe and then hiring a car in Liverpool to get to Wales, the hire car cost is sent to him by cheque on His return to the Island. I think he also has the option of a Taxi transfer from the Airport to Wales as well. He said everything is ok and its just like a normal trip across (apart from the worry of the Hospital Visit )

Hope this Helps

thanks for your help the flight i am refering to is the one to chester with fly 2.com i was told they are no longer using flybe

Edited by kathy

Recently flew to Leeds on one of Manx2's craft and it was a pretty smooth journey. The planes are pretty small, so I must imagine they don't do too well in bad weather, but we had a reasonable amount of wind and didn't have any problems at all.

It's pretty intimate .. this was the view from my seat:

post-2038-1233563317_thumb.jpg

Quite enjoyed it actually.

--------------------

My Tech Blog - ManxFriends Profile - Catch me on Twitter

Here's what's going on in the Manx Blogosphere Manx Online

Kathy, I know exactly how you feel as I'm terrible when it comes to getting on a plane. Nothing anybody says seems to make you feel better or safer when it comes to flying.

My son has had to go on a regular basis to Alder Hey hospital since he was about 6 and I used to dread the weekly flights....I couldn't eat for days and would have sleepless nights prior to flying. Depsite all the flying I've done with him it's not made me any less nervous. In fact, due to a woman who went absolutely crazy and screamed like a lunatic during some pretty bad turbulence and scared the living daylights out of me, I've become gradually worse over the years. If my son was going for some lengthy treatment I did arrange with Patient Transfer to take the car and go on the boat so you could speak to them to see if they're prepared to arrange that for you.

Luckily, my son only has to go over every 12 weeks now and as my dad is retired he travels with him for his check ups. They've not been since the Chester flights have started so can't give any opinion/advice on that particular route. I have, however, travelled recently to Belfast with Manx2. As they're not trips for hopsital appointments I do now resort to Diazepam and a couple of vodkas (yes, before anyone starts crowing about the danger of drinking with medication, I do know but it's how I have to deal with the flight!) prior to boarding. The planes are very small and quite claustraphobic, in my opinion, and I am scared to death getting on one but I am still here to tell the tale! I think you can notice noises and bumps more on the smaller planes and I do tend to get sore ears on them as well. I personally don't like the fact that you're so close to and can see the pilot, it makes me more scared. I've probably not helped you much but I'm giving you an honest opinion. Hope it all goes well for you whichever mode of transprt you decide to take.

Recently flew to Leeds on one of Manx2's craft and it was a pretty smooth journey. The planes are pretty small, so I must imagine they don't do too well in bad weather, but we had a reasonable amount of wind and didn't have any problems at all.

It's pretty intimate .. this was the view from my seat:

post-2038-1233563317_thumb.jpg

Quite enjoyed it actually.

--------------------

My Tech Blog - ManxFriends Profile - Catch me on Twitter

Here's what's going on in the Manx Blogosphere Manx Online

That plane looks like it's made out of cardboard :o

hi all

thanks for your replies the alcohol sound like a good idea but unfortunatley im not allowed a drink so that rules that out

apart from the fact that i am terrified of flying i have a brain condition and my head dosent cope well with noise so am wondering is it very noisy on these little planes?

thanks

Kathy, I know exactly how you feel as I'm terrible when it comes to getting on a plane. Nothing anybody says seems to make you feel better or safer when it comes to flying.

My son has had to go on a regular basis to Alder Hey hospital since he was about 6 and I used to dread the weekly flights....I couldn't eat for days and would have sleepless nights prior to flying. Depsite all the flying I've done with him it's not made me any less nervous. In fact, due to a woman who went absolutely crazy and screamed like a lunatic during some pretty bad turbulence and scared the living daylights out of me, I've become gradually worse over the years. If my son was going for some lengthy treatment I did arrange with Patient Transfer to take the car and go on the boat so you could speak to them to see if they're prepared to arrange that for you.

Luckily, my son only has to go over every 12 weeks now and as my dad is retired he travels with him for his check ups. They've not been since the Chester flights have started so can't give any opinion/advice on that particular route. I have, however, travelled recently to Belfast with Manx2. As they're not trips for hopsital appointments I do now resort to Diazepam and a couple of vodkas (yes, before anyone starts crowing about the danger of drinking with medication, I do know but it's how I have to deal with the flight!) prior to boarding. The planes are very small and quite claustraphobic, in my opinion, and I am scared to death getting on one but I am still here to tell the tale! I think you can notice noises and bumps more on the smaller planes and I do tend to get sore ears on them as well. I personally don't like the fact that you're so close to and can see the pilot, it makes me more scared. I've probably not helped you much but I'm giving you an honest opinion. Hope it all goes well for you whichever mode of transprt you decide to take.

hi thanks for being so honest i spoke to patient transfers and they said if i went on the boat i would have to pay for my own transport i have a brain problem and i dont cope well with noise so am also worrying about that too

That's too bad that they won't pay for your travel on the boat, can't imagine there'd be much difference in the cost to them. They must've changed their policy with regards travel to the UK. It's bad enough that we have to travel to the UK in the first place but it's even worse that we can't have a choice in how we get there. You'd think they'd be more accomodating and take people's fears into consideration. Did they give a reason for not paying the fare on the boat?

The Manx2 planes are noisy, probably not much noisier than Flybe but noisy nonetheless.

That's too bad that they won't pay for your travel on the boat, can't imagine there'd be much difference in the cost to them. They must've changed their policy with regards travel to the UK. It's bad enough that we have to travel to the UK in the first place but it's even worse that we can't have a choice in how we get there. You'd think they'd be more accomodating and take people's fears into consideration. Did they give a reason for not paying the fare on the boat?

The Manx2 planes are noisy, probably not much noisier than Flybe but noisy nonetheless.

hi minnie

they told me to see if i could get a letter from the doctor about being changed to flybe i asked what would happen if i arranged to go on the boat and was told i would have to pay myself i didnt ask as to why to be honest

kathy

That's so bad about the boat. Maybe it'd be worth trying to get your doctor to see if he could pull a few strings and get them to pay for the boat fare? I know it's awkward and people don't like to "rock the boat" (pardon the pun) when it comes to patient transfer but there's no harm in trying. We've dealt with them for almost 9 years now and you get to the stage where you're not afraid to be cheeky and ask for something that's going to make your life easier and less stressful.