Cervical Cancer

Chinahand

But men should also make sure that they get their PSA checked on a regular basis and act quickly if t starts to rise.

Not proven I'm afraid. There's quite a body of evidence to suggest that using PSA to screen for prostate cancer does more harm than good.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't pretend to have ever liked her, but nobody ever deserves that sort of shit luck. Tragic for her young family too.

Cancer sucks, it's about time they cured the fooker.

they would rather spend their money on bombs and defending us from the boggieman..

useless tossers ... another young woman dying needlessly because the worlds governments have their collective heads shoved up their collective arses..

{Deep breath}

I actually agree with MM2 on this. I really, really can't stand Jade Goody, she serves no purpose but to be stupid, but I wouldn't wish cancer on anyone. Certain parts of the Armed Forces could be done away with, and the funding used to fund cancer research.

Taking about waste of money and cancer research, does anyone remember the 3 nurses that tried to get premier footballers to donate one day, ONE DAYs worth of wages to help cancer research and something 5 said yes. Can't imagine Ronaldo or what ever his name is really needing the £100,000 (guessing how much the pansy footballer gets paid) where as that would make a big difference to the fight against cancer.

It is very important that women have smear tests regularly, but what makes this more scary is the fact that apparently she had had symptoms for three years that went undetected.

Jade first had pre-cancerous cells removed at 16 and has since suffered a series of collapses and bouts of blood loss.

Three years ago she was admitted to The Princess Alexandra Hospital in Harlow, Essex, with stomach cramps. But her cancer was not diagnosed until last year. Mr Clifford said this made yesterday’s diagnosis even harder to take. He said: “She is angry because she first went into hospital three years ago and a diagnosis could have been made then.

Jade, who lives in Essex, had suffered symptoms of cervical cancer for three years – but her condition went undiagnosed. She was tested for ovarian cancer in 2004 and bowel cancer in 2006 and was given the all-clear.

In 2005 she was rushed to hospital after collapsing with stomach pains. The same thing happened a year later.

I think that three years between smear tests is too long so I go every year (three years was a long time for Jade's caner to spread by the sound of it)

Who gives a toss about Jade Goody? She's not a real person you know, she's just teevee innit........... ; ))

trolling or not .. takes a special kind of degenerate to make a comment like that..

Well we all knew KB is kind of "Speshul"

I had cervical cancer over 15 years ago. I can tell you its a very scary place to be and I feel for any woman that goes through this. But, as you can see, it's not always a killer. The thing is to make sure you have your smear tests on a regular basis, and yes, 3 years is too long between tests. It only took 5 months for my cancer to eccelerate, if I hadn't had my smear when I did, then I probably wouldn't be here today.

I think the vaccination for girls is a great idea and hopefully this will minimize or eradicate cervical cancer altogether (fingers crossed!).

How long do results take to come back after a test?

They take about 3 to 4 weeks. I book and go for mine each year, and am always told "you had one last year you don't really need to come back for another two years" but as has been pointed out 2 or 3 years is a long time for cancer to spread. I think that they should make them an annual check-up.

I think the age they start doing smears in England is now 25 which is way too late.

All mothers should make sure there daughters go for smears. I took my daughter along with me (she hadnt been called, I think she was under the age they start calling females here) and she had abnormal cells and has had treatment. I thank God I did!

I don't pretend to have ever liked her, but nobody ever deserves that sort of shit luck. Tragic for her young family too.

I feel very sorry for her and its tragic that she has cancer and you wouldn't wish it on anyone, but I know lots of people who have dealt with cancer with fortitude and dignity - I don't need to see her irritating face on the gogglebox telling me how bad getting cancer is. No doubt we'll even get to see pictures of her corpse on the front of Hello magazine so she can have one final blast of publicity.

I feel very sorry for her and its tragic that she has cancer and you wouldn't wish it on anyone, but I know lots of people who have dealt with cancer with fortitude and dignity - I don't need to see her irritating face on the gogglebox telling me how bad getting cancer is. No doubt we'll even get to see pictures of her corpse on the front of Hello magazine so she can have one final blast of publicity.

If one girl/woman goes for a checkup and is saved because she has seen Jades story on TV or in a paper then she has done some good.

I think the age they start doing smears in England is now 25 which is way too late.

All mothers should make sure there daughters go for smears. I took my daughter along with me (she hadnt been called, I think she was under the age they start calling females here) and she had abnormal cells and has had treatment. I thank God I did!

25? Really? When I was in the uk - I had my smear at 20

Well like her or not, and I don't too much, all I hope is now her cancer has got to this stage and let's face it, it's now at a bad stage, is that her end comes without too much suffering and someone in her publicity engine uses this to increase awareness of such a terrible illness.

I just googled 'smear test england' and this is what came up www.cancerscreening.nhs.uk/

''Why are women under 25 and women over 65 not invited?

Cervical cancer is rare in women under 20. Teenagers' bodies, particularly the cervix, are still developing, which means young women may get an abnormal result when there is nothing wrong. This could lead to unnecessary treatment so screening young women might do more harm than good.

Under the age of 25 years, invasive cancer is extremely rare, but changes in the cervix are common. Although lesions treated in very young women may prevent cancers from developing many years later, the evidence1 suggests that screening could start at age 25. Lesions that are destined to progress will still be screen-detectable and those that would regress will no longer be a source of anxiety. Younger women will not have to undergo unnecessary investigations and treatments.''

Any woman under 25 who is concerned about her risk of developing cervical cancer or her sexual health generally, should contact her GP or Genito-Urinary Medicine (GUM) clinic.

Women aged 65 and over who have had three consecutive negative results are taken out of the call recall system. The natural history and progression of cervical cancer means it is highly unlikely that such women will go on to develop the disease. Women aged 65 and over who have never had a test are entitled to one.

Ignore this!!! - go and ask for a test!

Edited by silverfoxie

How long do results take to come back after a test?

They take about 3 to 4 weeks. I book and go for mine each year, and am always told "you had one last year you don't really need to come back for another two years" but as has been pointed out 2 or 3 years is a long time for cancer to spread. I think that they should make them an annual check-up.

Where do you have to make the appointments, is it with your doctor, or are there clinics at the hospital etc. Also, how long do you have to wait for an appointment, or are you supposed to be reminded by the Doctor when you are due for one. I used to have one every year when I lived off the Island for a few years, the Doctor always sent a letter to remind me to make an appointment, I haven't had one for 10 years now, as the Doctor here doesn't seem to remind you when you are due for an appointment.

Think once I find out, I will make an appointment, particlularly after hearing about Jade, more people seem to dislike her than like her but most people feel sorry for her and the little boys. She has a heart like anyone else and it's heartbreaking when you have little ones, watching them grow and develop, yet knowing you won't see them grow up and be there for them, like Mothers do.

People dislike her personality but she became a celebrity due to her way of life, she would be unknown if she hadn't behaved the way she has in the past, there are others in showbiz like her, who are not popular but can't imagine anyone with a heart, that would not have some sympathy for Jade and her family right now.