last night i finished building my new pc (q6600 intel), now I've got everything running and it all seem to be cooking on gas but ive just got home tonight (pc running all day downloading stem updates) and according to the hardware monitor the cpu is running at about 16c and the system at 26c .( gone up a bit now started using pc to type here, cpu now 24)

i bought a quality antec case with great cooling and i did fit a large cpu heat sink and fan and the ambient temp by the pc is about 15c but even so my old p4 system would be burning along at about 50c even under minimum load

is this normal for a quad cpu under minimum load with decent cooling?

ta

last night i finished building my new pc (q6600 intel), now I've got everything running and it all seem to be cooking on gas but ive just got home tonight (pc running all day downloading stem updates) and according to the hardware monitor the cpu is running at about 16c and the system at 26c .( gone up a bit now started using pc to type here, cpu now 24)

i bought a quality antec case with great cooling and i did fit a large cpu heat sink and fan and the ambient temp by the pc is about 15c but even so my old p4 system would be burning along at about 50c even under minimum load

is this normal for a quad cpu under minimum load with decent cooling?

ta

16C is a bit cool - but that's fine! Run a very CPU intensive program and watch it rise?

Should easily hit 3.2Ghz on a Q6600 G0 with a good heatsink. Run Prime95 on all cores using small FFTs and watch the temperature rise. If you don't hit 60 degrees i will be surprised (overclocked of course)

you can most likely hit 3.2Ghz on stock voltages even, if you try setting your multiplier to x8 and your FSB to 400. This will mean your RAM is running at 800Mhz as well. If it blue screens or restarts, jump the core voltage up to around 1.375

good luck.

ta for the confirmation, i'm not over clocking this bugger for at least a year, i simply don't need the performance, i can run css and most other games I want at top or almost top settings with more than sufficient fps's.

maybe this time next year once i've paid off the finance!