Steam Packet Sailings To Heysham?

Good to see that despite the negative comments here the IOMSPC 'Reliability' is currently 99.24% for the last 12 months and 'Punctuality is '95.04%'.

And_pigs_might_fly_by_moonmomma.jpg

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

book a rail and sail ticket instead, it's a fixed price (except i think during summer at the weekends when its a little more), and you can do it through trainline rather than dealing with the racket. even if you don't need the train ticket it'll be cheaper. a return to manchester i think is about £40

How does the rail and sail thing work? For example I booked, a few months back, a foot pax ticket for a sailing Dublin > Holyhead on Stena for €52 return and then found out that the sail and rail to London inclusive would've only cost me €43.... Totally confused!

I overheard an interesting conversation on satuarday whilst waiting for a bus transfer to heysham after the mananan sailing was cancelled. we were told it was technical difficulties, but staff were overheard saying that there were not enough passengers to justify sending the fastcraft out, and it was cheaper to transfer the passengers to heysham by bus. i wonder how many times the technical problems have been low passenger numbers? how many passengers have been inconveinienced to save money? why cant this company be honest to their customers?

How does the rail and sail thing work? For example I booked, a few months back, a foot pax ticket for a sailing Dublin > Holyhead on Stena for €52 return and then found out that the sail and rail to London inclusive would've only cost me €43.... Totally confused!

it seems to be based on the cheapest normally available ticket for boat + a cheapish fare for the railway component - it is sometimes possible by booking rail in advance and getting say the OAP special offer to undercut the boat rail price but usually the boat/rail is good value (esp if you have a discount card) - obviously at peak times the boat uses the trick learnt from the airlines of effectively making passengers bid against each other for tickets under its control (boat/rail might be restricted at these periods)

man in pub said, so must be true ! :lol:

I hardly think there would be a lack of passengers at the start of the half term holidays, there must at least be hundreds of teachers wanting ot get away :D

from another forum :

Problems with the port clam shell or not able to change its position to provide thrust

Have to say that the Captain kept us up to date and the company put on free hot drinks and cardboard pizza

p.s.

do we really need a new thread just for this ?

Edited by Tempus Fugit

i was on the boat and there were only 62 people on the buses from liverpool, the top deck of the bens car deck was empty, there was hardly any people on the overnight sailing. i was told at heysham that the boat was no where ner full and there would be loads of spaces in the premium lounges.

Re : cancelling a sailing on bogus tech. grounds due to low pax numbers:

I don't know if this happened here but its not completely out of the realms of possibility is it? EU law (would include the IOM as all crossings are to the EU) effectively stops airlines doing this but who is keeping an eye on the racket to stop such behaviour should it ever happen?

I wouldn't be so concerned if they weren't the only sea carrier.

Edited by ballaughbiker

Andy, will they have electric hook ups on board?

Loading and unoading a crane on/off is much slower

How long is perishable food going to be sitting around at Liverpool, before loading, whilst loading, on the crossing, at Douglas before unloading and whilst being marshalled. Preumably they will be offloaded into stacks and then later transferred onto trialesr and hooked up topower units for delivery? How many more flatbeds with motive power are we going to have to have here?

Just thinking of the practicalities. I suspect they are looking at the non persihables market, which is large.

I've no idea if there's electric hook ups on board, but I’d assume that the chilled containers would be self sufficient, just like the trailer units.

Also, having just seen what is sat waiting, possibly to be loaded, there are at least two Tesco trailer units sat there... And it doesn't look like as if they're lined up for the Racket.

each vessel has 20 reefer points.

Andy, will they have electric hook ups on board?

Loading and unoading a crane on/off is much slower

How long is perishable food going to be sitting around at Liverpool, before loading, whilst loading, on the crossing, at Douglas before unloading and whilst being marshalled. Preumably they will be offloaded into stacks and then later transferred onto trialesr and hooked up topower units for delivery? How many more flatbeds with motive power are we going to have to have here?

Just thinking of the practicalities. I suspect they are looking at the non persihables market, which is large.

I've no idea if there's electric hook ups on board, but I’d assume that the chilled containers would be self sufficient, just like the trailer units.

Also, having just seen what is sat waiting, possibly to be loaded, there are at least two Tesco trailer units sat there... And it doesn't look like as if they're lined up for the Racket.

each vessel has 20 reefer points.

I'm led to believe that (also something that I didn't know before this weekend just gone) is that the trailers are craned into/onto the ship, then the containers on top of the hatch covers.

I thought that the Kalana would have sailed yesterday, but it's still here, and the Kurkse is still docked... A start up delay due to teething problems perhaps? Or, is the service due to start today?

i was on the boat and there were only 62 people on the buses from liverpool, the top deck of the bens car deck was empty, there was hardly any people on the overnight sailing. i was told at heysham that the boat was no where ner full and there would be loads of spaces in the premium lounges.

Strange I was told by a passenger coming off the overnight that it was really busy.

You've got me wondering. Do the Reliability figures exclude sailing cancellations? There is no definition on the IOMSPC site but to keep the figure above 99% is a near miraculous achievement, particulalry bearing in mind the problems with both fastcraft this year that Mark Woodward outlines in his blog.