Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Chinahand

Why Isn't The Iom A Member Of The Eu?

If I remember correctly it was originally intended that there would be harmonised taxes across the EU which didn't suit the IOM so we stayed out and negotiated an arrangement whereby goods but not financial services could be freely traded with the EU.

also i really dont think that after this resession has done its work, that there be much of an EU to join,

What do you think is going to happen to it, Gazza?

S

Would it be possible for us to join the EU, adopt the Euro and still be under Whitehall's umbrella? That would be an interesting niche.

also i really dont think that after this resession has done its work, that there be much of an EU to join,

S

i can just see it start to brake up, the euro will be poor, just a vary bad out look for anyone in the euro zone,

the thing is, the euro never has had a stressfull time, this is its first real test, it will ever have had,

so we just ave to wait and see

No harmonising taxes came much later

At that time the EEC or Common Market was only in manufactured and agricultural goods, not financial services

If I remember correctly it was originally intended that there would be harmonised taxes across the EU which didn't suit the IOM so we stayed out and negotiated an arrangement whereby goods but not financial services could be freely traded with the EU.

Would it be possible for us to join the EU, adopt the Euro and still be under Whitehall's umbrella? That would be an interesting niche.

Yes, the Gibraltar model

S

i can just see it start to brake up, the euro will be poor, just a vary bad out look for anyone in the euro zone,

the thing is, the euro never has had a stressfull time, this is its first real test, it will ever have had,

so we just ave to wait and see

Are you talking about the EU, or the Euro-zone. I would agree that there are signs of stress there. In my view, Ireland will either drop out or seek some way to adjust its prices (including wages and rents). Perhaps a decree saying that as from Monday, all wages, prices, rents, etc., are down by 20%. I don't know if it has been tried before, but I think it is what Ireland needs.

S

For the Isle of Man to be considered for the EU then we would need to be put under the microscope.

I'm not sure if we would prefer not to be subject to such a level of scrutiny.