Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
hagar the horrible

Licensing Laws.

Does anyone know the licensing laws for pubs, what is an on/off licence?, if the hours above the pub door say 12.00am to 12.00pm does this mean they can only sell booze between these hours as I have noticed people inside pubs drinking well after midnight?, what is 24 hour drinking?

Does anyone know the licensing laws for pubs, what is an on/off licence?, if the hours above the pub door say 12.00am to 12.00pm does this mean they can only sell booze between these hours as I have noticed people inside pubs drinking well after midnight?, what is 24 hour drinking?

If those are the hours listed then I don't see what your problem is.

As I remember it when 24hour drinking came in there was still a restriction on when music could be played in pubs.

I am guessing that they can still seve for as long as they like but have to turn the music off at a certain time

The hours are those which are contained in the license, they should be exhibited, but sometimes are out of date

They are maximum hours and venues can close within the hours if they wish

Licensed premises may apply for extensions or specila permissions from time to time, which may explain drinking out of usual hours

The licensing Acts used to limit the hours for which a license could be granted. 24 hour licensing means there is no stautory limit, but you still have to apply to the licensing Court. latest given has ben 3.00am. I am awaiting the first all nighter or early morning application.

The Police are totally anti drink, and the licensing court sometimes seems no different, ghowever another pa of their job is to control noise, drunkeness disturnbance etc, which is why the time limits still are applied strictly

The hours are those which are contained in the license, they should be exhibited, but sometimes are out of date

They are maximum hours and venues can close within the hours if they wish

Licensed premises may apply for extensions or specila permissions from time to time, which may explain drinking out of usual hours

The licensing Acts used to limit the hours for which a license could be granted. 24 hour licensing means there is no stautory limit, but you still have to apply to the licensing Court. latest given has ben 3.00am. I am awaiting the first all nighter or early morning application.

The Police are totally anti drink, and the licensing court sometimes seems no different, ghowever another pa of their job is to control noise, drunkeness disturnbance etc, which is why the time limits still are applied strictly

I disagree my learned friend. Licensed premises are required to display their normal opening hours. A licence holder may however open longer if he wishes but the regulations sitting below the licensing act require that he notifies the Chief Contsable in advance. No Court application is needed. Special permissions are needed for licensed clubs, marquees and the like but not for the traditional rub a dub dub.

In practical terms this means having to plan your lock-ins in advance and let the police know. They want to know where the likely trouble spots will be at chucking out time.

The only real restriction to true 24/7 opening is the level of business. Staff need to be paid more for working late and there has to be sufficient trade to pay them. Most lock ins will most likely take place where either the landlord is 100% sure of his customers and/or he is joining them for a bevvy himself. Having an open door when the last kebab shop closes is just asking for trouble.

Some after hours favourites are even allocating indoor smoking rooms so that smoking customers don't go outside and attract unwanted vistors to the slightly naughty, but not as bad as it used to be, lock in.

If you aren't getting invited it must be because you aren't a regular or you are perceived as a trouble maker. Visit your local pub more often, get to know the staff and regulars and you'll soon be staggering home in broad daylight after an all nighter.

Drink responsibly! :D

Sorry pibaps, apart from advertising the hours and the fact that special permissions apply to additional areas, ie a marquee or the pub garden or areas not normally included in the licence you are totally wrong

Its not just the Act but the rules you need to read. Do what you say and the licensee will be arrested and lose his licence and all the drinkers will be done for aftr hours

You apply for and have to win every extra hour in court

So many laws, so little time to learn them all, however shall I remain a law abiding citizen?

So many laws, so little time to learn them all, however shall I remain a law abiding citizen?

I have a magic sock called Norman.

Whenever I'm faced by a moral or legal quandry, I ask Norman and he always replies; often by means of a short story or parable illustrating the dilemma I'm facing and showing the right way to take.

Occasionally, should the gravity of the situation demand it; he offers deep insight and wisdom by means of a informative multi media presentation.

Thus do I steer a righteous course through the stormy seas of life.