Local Questions

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Artificial mound, covered in grass?    

Well done, it looks like you're quite right. I found this from your information:  

The owner in the early seventies was Goldie-Taubman, It was then sold to Judah Binstock for £100,000. He then sold the surrounding land to the IoM government for...you guessed it, £100,000. He then s

Posted Images

Following on the subject of street names . Was somebody taking the piss when they named Fancy street ?

The following is from 'Streets of Douglas - Old and New' by Stuart Slack,

First noted by name in a property sale of 1824... The properties in the street are mentioned in Pigot's Directory of that year as Francis Street although this seems more likely to be a typographical error. The name is possibly a corruption of Francis but not relevant person of that name can be identified. Another suggestion is that it was a part of the town where ladies of ill-repute congregated with the intention of providing 'a little of what you fancy...'

The latter theory is rather fanciful itself. I think it is more likely that there were shops there selling 'fancy goods' i.e. materials, needlework, gifts, toys etc. Directories such as Pigot's, mentioned above, (available online thanks to Frances) often included a category for 'berlin wool and fancy repositories' - warehouses that stocked such goods - and although there are none mentioned on Fancy Street, there were dressmakers and hatmakers, and these places would often also stock 'fancy goods'.

Cheers Vulgarian . I had wondered why a street that consists mainly of a dull grey block of flats was so named . I hadn't thought about its prior incarnations.

Edited by Nosferatu
Cheers Vulgarian . I had wondered why a street that consists mainly of a dull grey block of flats was so named . I hadn't thought about its prior incarnations.

But the area around Fancy Street was completely altered in the 1930a. Prior to that the whole area was a warren of little streets. The original Fancy Street doesn't exist anymore, all the old houses are long gone. But then I don't think that area of Douglas was very fancy anyway.

The latter theory is rather fanciful itself. I think it is more likely that there were shops there selling 'fancy goods' i.e. materials, needlework, gifts, toys etc. Directories such as Pigot's, mentioned above, (available online thanks to Frances) often included a category for 'berlin wool and fancy repositories' - warehouses that stocked such goods - and although there are none mentioned on Fancy Street, there were dressmakers and hatmakers, and these places would often also stock 'fancy goods'.

Although there's no real reason why it couldn't have been named for that, depending on when 'fancy' became used in that sense, bearing in mind the various names attached to alleys and lanes across England where prostitutes worked.

Although there's no real reason why it couldn't have been named for that, depending on when 'fancy' became used in that sense, bearing in mind the various names attached to alleys and lanes across England where prostitutes worked.

Could have been... but there's not much evidence for it. The only evidence i can think of to support it is that in 1837 (Pigot's directory) there were 4 'dressmakers' and a 'lodging house' on Fancy Street, and both these trades were sometimes covers for, or synonymous with prostitution during the 19th century in England. This number of shops on what is today a small and insignificant street seems strange until we notice that there were also 3 butchers, 2 boot makers, a cartwright, and a confectioner. Evidently Fancy Street was once a much busier street than the vomit and dog shit depository that it is today.

...there were 4 'dressmakers' and a 'lodging house' on Fancy Street, and both these trades were sometimes covers for, or synonymous with prostitution..

Don't tell me things like that, I'll start getting arrested for loitering outside dress shops now.

I don't know whether I should set-up a different thread but there are lots of different questions on here...so here goes.

On the coastal footpath between Niarbyl and Traie Vane on the clifface just before Jimmy's Leap, there is a small iron fence with a stone/concrete cross inside it. I remember being told that someone fell off the cliff there. But how long ago was this and does anyone know who it was?

On the coastal footpath between Niarbyl and Traie Vane on the clifface just before Jimmy's Leap, there is a small iron fence with a stone/concrete cross inside it. I remember being told that someone fell off the cliff there. But how long ago was this and does anyone know who it was?

Never heard of it but I would be interested to know the answer.

Never heard of it but I would be interested to know the answer.

Was it not Jimmy?

No, it wouldn't be Jimmy because the name comes from the fact that he escaped the Press Gang and leapt across the precipice to safety.

Here is the location in case it is a help. It's ten minutes walk from Niarbyl to Traie Vane/Enn.

post-1223-1247096117_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

There's a house on the way into Douglas from Kewaigue. It's a white house, quite narrow, in a terrace of two or three houses. In the garden is an unsual item which has a number of what appear to be hoops and a restraining pin at the top. I thought that they might be hoops used for making barrels and that it could be a stand to hold the hoops although I can't find anything when I search for barrel hoop holders or anything similar. I was just wondering if anyone knows what the item is and what, if anything, it's used for. I suppose it could just be a sculpture but I'm not arty so wouldn't appreciate it if it was and think it's a bit pointless having sculptures which don't resemble anything personally.

Knowing what it is would resolve my curiosity as I drive passed it all the time.

• 2 weeks later...