The Wave - New Project For Old Summerland Site

John

2 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

Every time I say booooook or pooooool my wife bursts out laughing!  She doesn't even attempt to conceal it any more...

I'd suggest if you want an example of true Manx english ~ Costains Scrap Metal ad on MR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It is actually poowil. 

Isn't that Welsh?

Like Betsy Co ed!

Holeeday is another.

Nothing wrong with WAsp, tho you wouldn't want one in your PAsty!

21 hours ago, Gladys said:

It is actually poowil. 

You're absolutely right!  She laughed even more when I showed her that.  ☹️

And if anybody ever said "filum" when referring to cinematic things on Father Ted she'd say "That's you that is!"

Edited by Ghost Ship
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yes!

I also spent the weekend trying to remember what word my father used to say that always made me cringe.  I've only just remembered it and again it seems to have an Irish connection as I'm sure it's another I've also heard on Father Ted.

And that's "tremendyus" or "tremendjus" for tremendous.  But I can't quite remember the exact pronunciation he used ...

A local one here where I live in the UK is the habit of missing the initial "s" out when pronouncing some words.  One that always drives me mad and makes me want to grab people by the throat and yell at them is the pronunciation "pacific" for the word "specific".  It's really annoying.  What I don't understand is that they can still say "special" and not "peshull".

And I've also just remembered my dad couldn't pronounce "asbestos" - it was always "abestos" - another missing "s".

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

Yes!

I also spent the weekend trying to remember what word my father used to say that always made me cringe.  I've only just remembered it and again it seems to have an Irish connection as I'm sure it's another I've also heard on Father Ted.

And that's "tremendyus" or "tremendjus" for tremendous.  But I can't quite remember the exact pronunciation he used ...

A local one here where I live in the UK is the habit of missing the initial "s" out when pronouncing some words.  One that always drives me mad and makes me want to grab people by the throat and yell at them is the pronunciation "pacific" for the word "specific".  It's really annoying.  What I don't understand is that they can still say "special" and not "peshull".

And I've also just remembered my dad couldn't pronounce "asbestos" - it was always "abestos" - another missing "s".

Sustificut, chimly, ambliance.

• Like 1