Stages Of Divorce Iom ? Help ?

Difficult subject, but I cant find anything on Manx Divorce .

Has anyone on here been through it recently ?

The marriage has broken down and is beyond fixing, only one party wants it to end, no one else is involved, just not compatible any longer .

Married in the IOM, live in the IOM.

So anyone got any advice please, or web sites to visit for information.

Is the Lawyer the first step , or can we get some idea of what we need to sort out and decide before we do that part .

Thanks,

JI

I think that you'll find some advice from John Wright shortly which would be better to take if I were you.

As far as I am aware, if you are in a situation were it is only one party that wants a divorce and the other party won't agree to it then you will only be able to divorce after a period of separation which I believe is 2 years or more. (I think that's also living apart from each other.)

Better to seek some legal advice especially if you have finances / property or children involved.

Until John gets a chance to respond, you might find 'THIS' to be a useful read.

I don't know much about the stages of divorce in a marriage, but I do know about the stages of sex in a marriage, which are:

Stage 1: Anywhere sex. Just after you've met you **** everywhere, and anywhere you can, all of the time

Stage 2: Kitchen Sex. This is when you have been with your partner for a few months, though you don't do it everywhere and anywhere anymore, you'll still do it in places like the kitchen.

Stage 3: Bedroom Sex. After you've been together a while, it gets restricted to the bedroom by now, and getting fairly routine and monotonous.

Stage 4: Hallway Sex. This is when it gets so boring and routine, all you do now is pass each other in the hallway and say 'F**k you!'

Stage 5: Courtroom sex. This is where she takes you to court and screws you in front of everyone.

An oldy but goody, but so true - eye thenk you

The law is basically the same as in England

So Divorce is not on demand

If there is no adultery or behaviour then all you can do is sit and wait, 2 years separation and the wife agrees or 5 years if she doesn't

Then there is the rest of it

Kids who do they stay with when do they vist and how much do you or your spouse have to pay. Remember maintenance is not related to contact and contact is the right of the child, not the parent. Yu wil be expected to agree who lives where (residence) and contact. You will retain joint custody ie the legal right to decuide on basics like education, religuion, mediacl treatment.

Of course you may not have kids, it will make it easier.

All you have to do then is sort out capital division, including pension rights and any short term maintenance. If you own nothing, have no savings and no pension then in 5 years you could be free and do it yourself. Divorce forms are easy enough.

Anything more complex talk to an advocate. get an estimate first for first interview.

I do not do divorce work so don't ask me. But if you pm with more details and specific questions Iwill try and refer you to someone appropriate.

Difficult subject, but I cant find anything on Manx Divorce .

Has anyone on here been through it recently ?

The marriage has broken down and is beyond fixing, only one party wants it to end, no one else is involved, just not compatible any longer .

Married in the IOM, live in the IOM.

So anyone got any advice please, or web sites to visit for information.

Is the Lawyer the first step , or can we get some idea of what we need to sort out and decide before we do that part .

Thanks,

JI

Go for mediation before you go anywhere near a lawyer.

Golden rule of divorce - don't sign anything official looking until you have had let a lawyer read through it. It might seem a lot to pay, but it is worth it in the long run, otherwise you might sign yourself into one of these clauses that means you have to pay to the end of your days and even beyond the grave. And once in these clauses, it take years and lots of money to get out again if you are lucky. I was one of the lucky ones, but I do read everything before I sign and never sign anything I don't full understand.

When I got married, divorce was the furtherest thing from my mind, but things and people change and nearly two decades later I was facing a divorce. Marriage is the easiest thing to get into, but a bugger to get out of, even if it isn't your fault.

I am not a big fan of lawyers, and feel they charge to say 'hello' in the street, but for anybody going through a divorce they are must. It will turn dirty, and those who say it won't are only kidding themselves. Other wise, you will end up with your pants around your knees and your pockets empty.

I used Sally Bolton from Corlett Bolton, who acted very professionally and saved my bacon from a darn good frying...

Every divorce is different, and getting advice from others who have 'been there' is not a good idea as your head ends up full of all sorts of horror stories, 90% of which are not true.

Going for a divorce? - get professional advice as at least you will know straight from the horse's mouth

Moghrey Mie is partially correct and it is a glaring error in my original post

You should go for mediation to try and resolve any outstanding dificulties, absolutely

But until you and spouse have had advice as to what your ights are how do you know what mattes to mediate and if you did medate would it actually be a binding settlement if you had not had legal advice

So advice first

try sort out with spouse

If can't then set up mediation

NB mediators aren't cheap

Frankly you should go for mediation before you go anywhere near a marriage!

Perhaps modern marriages should be 5 or 10 year contracts-renewable by mutual agreement.

Edited by Moghrey Mie

Frankly you should go for mediation before you go anywhere near a marriage!

Perhaps modern marriages should be 5 or 10 year contracts-renewable by mutual agreement.

That sounds ace!

Can we get them from a drive "thru" aswell so we don't have to get out of the car.