Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Chinahand

Astronomy Stuff

Galaxy Zoo is taking part in the 100 hours of Astronomy celebration .

They are asking the public to classify 1,000,000 galaxies in 100 hours.

Have a play - and if your get addicted, and are doing it properly, then log in and do it for real - helping science increase our understanding of the universe!!

All you have to do is classify galaxies into elliptical, irregular, and spiral and make comparisons.

Its great fun and quite addictive, and hopefully will give you some perspective of just how huge the universe is. Each splodgy picture consists of 100 billion stars - awesome!

Edited to add link on how to classify a galaxy!

Just signed up, it is pretty addictive. Thanks for the link ;)

All you have to do is classify galaxies into elliptical, irregular, and spiral and make comparisons.

A bit like breasts. I could do that.

This has to be one of the most incredible photos ever taken:

If you are wondering what that little speck on the sun in the lower left (3rd) quadrant is - click here.

atlantis_hst_2009may13_50.jpg

This has to be one of the most incredible photos ever taken:

If you are wondering what that little speck on the sun in the lower left (3rd) quadrant is - click here.

Nice pic

It's not that incredible. It just looks like a snooker ball. A far more impressive photo is that one from the seventies, you know the tennis player snapped from behind. The one who didn't even have any knickers on! I know, it was amazing........... You've got to hand it to The Almighty.........

It's not that incredible. It just looks like a snooker ball. A far more impressive photo is that one from the seventies, you know the tennis player snapped from behind. The one who didn't even have any knickers on! I know, it was amazing........... You've got to hand it to The Almighty.........

Looked for a while - but still couldn't find the galaxy you come from anywhere. Can only assume you come from a place made of dark doesn't matter.

I really would like to go to Texas and take part in their Star party and watch a Galaxy rising over the horizon - in this case the Milky Way - our home Galaxy.

Galaxy Rise

More info Here.

Nice video from Thunderf00t beautifully showing the rotations of the Earth and Jupiter.

Fantastic! But still not a patch on the Eagle Nebula.

Really starting to get a thing about the cosmos, even have a telescope but just can't get it to work effectively.

Check out a new piccie of your favourite Nebula Gladys - the pillars of creation are visible in the middle.

Beautiful, it is the columns in the centre I think that took my breath away when it was explained just how big they are. Millions of light years as I remember. Fantastic, thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/user/andromedaswake?blend=1&ob=4

just a quick link to an account i have recently subscribed to on youtube.

andromedaswake deals with astronomy, he has a some cool vids called welcome to the universe and quite a few debunking creationist and biblical astronomy nonsense (which was how i found him)

enjoy.

Which explanation do you trust - the Sun's, or a

?

Either way its one amazing sight.

article-1234430-07887B10000005DC-48_634x421.jpg

Which explanation do you trust - the Sun's, or a
?

Either way its one amazing sight.

article-1234430-07887B10000005DC-48_634x421.jpg

I think it's all down to the Large Hadron Collider - and we're all doomed - dooooooooooooooooomed I say.