• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is solstice time.  The reason for the season is axial tilt and today our position on our orbit around the sun has aligned the earth's axis so the North Pole is pointing in the opposite portion of t

Earth and moon from 40 million miles distant. Taken by the OSIRIS-REx, an asteroid-hunting space craft moving away from us at nearly 20,000kph...  

Space X Falcon 9 in 4K.  Full screen needed.   

Posted Images

You can actually see Pluto's side on head and shoulders perspective in the first animation (stop it at 26 seconds, coincidence?), shame about the cutting to another model when the illusion of getting close is required, I am still puzzled how anyone actually still thinks this stuff is real...Can this be considered Astronomy or Art?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

That's an assumption on your part - trying to understand what the evidence for these things might look like is a minor part of science which is exactly is being reported. Because it is media friendly it gets lots of coverage, but the reality is that it is a tiny part of the output of astronomy, it is dealt with scientifically by the researchers and is a perfectly valid question for astronomers surveying vast numbers of stars.

Read an interesting treatment of Dyson stuctures recently (can't remember whether it was a proper article or just lousy commentards), commenting on how they (whether sphere or ring) are very gravitationally unstable, requiring lots of station-keeping, and also require you to hoover (see what I did there) up pretty much all of the mass of your solar system to build.

If you're a Type II civilisation, wouldn't you not bother and just go interstellar and colonise instead. Or O'Neill habitats if you're the stay-at-home kind?

Back on topic, just realised (duh!) upon reading the Popular Mechanics article that you'd only have gravity in a relatively narrow equatorial band on the inside of a sphere - assuming gravity provided vai rotation and not anti-gravity woo, and that would introduce further stability, not to mention structural, problems.

Makes the Niven/Banks ring structure more realistic a construct, in relative terms.

Edited by Bobbie Bobster
  • Like 1

That's an assumption on your part - trying to understand what the evidence for these things might look like is a minor part of science which is exactly is being reported. Because it is media friendly it gets lots of coverage, but the reality is that it is a tiny part of the output of astronomy, it is dealt with scientifically by the researchers and is a perfectly valid question for astronomers surveying vast numbers of stars.

What assumption? I never said that such structures are impossible, though from what I've read it seems their existence is implausible in the extreme, but as you say, it's perfectly valid to investigate the possibility of their existence scientifically.

What I'm saying is that the reporting of them is sensationalist, and typical of how the popular media misrepresents scienctific research. While astronomers are trying to determine whether such things are even possible, and what they might look like if they were, the media gallops ahead to reporting that possible alien megastructures have been discovered.

• Like 1

I think we are the creators of reality as in the double slit experiment when an observer changes the output of the experiment, therefore a telescope image is more of a projection of the observers conscious mind (in these cases what the collective believe to be out there) and not so much a reflection of what is there. Perhaps nothing is there until you look and you see what the collective consciousness perceives to be reality. The collective consciousness changes due to subliminal programs and reality changes in that direction, a new discovery or a disclosure seems to appear.

• Like 1