No launch, weather problems.

Something weird happened with the weather a bit north from there today. Storm Bertha developed out of nowhere and hit South Carolina.

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Farewell Cassini. You've had quite a mission! Getting there: Oribiting Saturn: And taking some great images along the way:  

Space X Falcon 9 in 4K.  Full screen needed.   

Earth and moon from 40 million miles distant. Taken by the OSIRIS-REx, an asteroid-hunting space craft moving away from us at nearly 20,000kph...  

Posted Images

11 hours ago, RIchard Britten said:

Managed to catch the Dragon (Endeavour) cruising across the sky from our back garden.

I am sure you only saw the Swissair  plane. But live the dream eh ?

• 2 weeks later...

d41586-020-01699-6_18073624.gif

Wolf 359 on the left; Proxima Centauri on the right

Parallax is a wonderful thing.  New Horizons is now so far away from the Earth that the position of stars close to the Earth - in this example Wolf 359 and Proxima Centuri (the closest star to the Sun) - appear to be in a slightly different position compared to the more distant background stars.

More here.

• 3 weeks later...

Love it - loads of science there!  If you look carefully the sunspots start off towards the poles and then come closer and closer to the equator, and as they do so they become sparser and sparser until there are basically none, and then right at the end they start appearing again, but once more far away from the equator.

A solar cycle has come and gone and is restarting.

bfly.gifHere’s the butterfly diagram showing how the sunspots move over the 11 year cycles. 

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I take it everyone knows you can see a comet at the moment yeah? Cos you can, with your eyes. Binos are better, I wish I had a telescope.

I can barely see my ridge tiles at the moment!

• Like 1