Manx Mosque Facebook Group

Amadeus

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi!

Just wanted to make myself available to answer any questions regarding Islam. As a Muslim living and working on the Isle of Man, I find it very disappointing to see and hear that there are so many people that are mis-informed about my religion.

I can't believe the objections to building a larger Mosque. Some of the comments sound like they're out of a bad movie. In the last 9 years that I've been here (and an active member of the Islamic community), not once have I or any members of the community imposed our regilious beliefs on others. We've never caused any disturbance to anyone around us. We've never claimed any money off the public. As a community, we live within the laws enforced by the Isle of Man.

Almost all the people / families that my family and I interact with and meet, seem to get on well with us. Yes ! there are many questions, and we try to answer them all.

I'm also confused at the level of flaming and abuse that's currently surrounding this, as todate (that I'm aware of), we (the Islamic community) have had only 1 incident that I would say was racially motivated. This happened about 4 years ago, with a group of young boys (possibly around 15-17) yelling racial comments after our prayer. The Isle of Man and its diverse population seem to welcome us and most people that I've met seem genuienly interested in learning the facts about "information" they've heard or read on the news.

If anyone has any questions and concerns, I'd like to openly invite you to submit them to me. As you can imagine, in the hope of actually providing answers to real questions, I will not reply to verbal abuse.

Thank you

Manxeyes thank you so much for your input. You never no they might actually listen to you. A larger mosque for the Islamic community will recive my full support.

Rog you are a rather misguided invidual, I perfectly understand the nazi views on race and social darwinism. Though you do seem very much on the constant defense, my small post of observations wasn't some form of attack, it was exactly that a set of observations. So please get down of your elitest high hourse and calm down. You could wonder why people on this forum appear to dislike you, maybe because you like to shout people down and call them idiots. So please, for the sake of others come to understand all sides of the arguement whilst presenting your view. I could see yours; that's why I didn't come out and call you an idiot from your last post because on some points I disagree with you, whilst on others I agreed with you. Thank you.

Rog, although you purport to know a lot about Islam, much of what you say is at best misleading and at worst factually incorrect. Your posts remind me of some BNP propaganda that was posted through my door prior to an election in the UK a few years ago, where the author had gone to great lengths to research the subject, in order to not appear ignorant, but the underlying prejudice still seeped through.

I see no reason to object to the building of another religious establishment simply because it will be designed for Muslims.

to Rog

Dude....go read your Torah again, a hate filled book which puts all other people from the jews as mere insects and that they (the Jews) are the chosen people by Yahweh, you seriously need to remove the plank from your own eye before pointing out the splinters in others...........

The Bible is not much different.....religious doctrine is very dangerous as it masks it's real purpose, and that purpose is evil, gained from brainwashing....so to be fair even though the quran is less vile in content than the bible, the torah or any other book of "faith"....the whole ethos of faith is corrupt.

And never mind the whole mark of the beast crap...lfe imitates art so this was always going to happen it isn't a godlly prophesy.....check yer bar code...you'll see that there is a six at the begin, centre and end, they aren't numbered but are two thin lines which if you find a numbered six barcode you'll find it is two thin lines...is this the devil at work?....is it heck, it's done that way for a purpose and it's got feck all to do with satan or god....

Edited by Matt Bawden

Joined the 'Yes' group. Although I'm not Muslim and nor do I have a particularly favourable view of religion generally I've no objection to a group of believers buying a property to use as a mosque or to build one from scratch - if that's what floats their boat then its fine by me.

That the Isle of Man is inhabited by the kind of bigots posting in the 'No' group saddens but does not surprise me. I hope those foolish enough to post under their real names and who work for companies with policies covering such attitudes are hung out to dry for it - it's not as if people with that kind of mentality would be a big loss to any employer.

A number (most?) of Churches seem to be run down and dated back to the early 1900's (both exterior and interior), I believe this is because people can no longer be arsed to sit/stand/kneel in church for hours on end, praying to the almighty invisable, Minus a few elders, young 'uns who've had it bashed into them and those getting married, is the Muslim communtity and indeed its beliefs growing in popularity?, are Island residents becoming moslems?

I just don't understand the point, to me a religious debate is pointless (including this thread), I understand some countries more than others are still religous in huge numbers to the extent if I drank alcohol in a mostly (if not all) muslim country i'd be killed. In my mind if you want to "believe" thats fine, but whats wrong with doing it in the comfort of your own home?

Now at school I was forced to read/sing hymm's (and can admit I enjoyed it to an extent), with the hymm sheet placed on an old projector and an old woman playing the piano, but thats as far as it goes, I got a religious understanding and grew out of it, I can see how religion helps (keeping people on the straight and narrow for example) but thats about it.

Do many Muslims convert to Christainity or vice versa?, must be loads of empty Churches.

@Nitro: Muslims on the Isle of Man do perform their prayers at home. The Mosque is a central location in which one can perform your prayers in a congregation. Its part of our religion to perform our prayers in a congragation.

I cannot comment on "being killed" for drinking, as I'm not an authority and the Islamic law. Alcohol is outlawed for Muslims, so as a Muslim I cannot consume alcohol in any form. This (to me) would include things like eating fish prepared with a beer batter.

Dude....go read your Torah again, a hate filled book which puts all other people from the jews as mere insects and that they (the Jews) are the chosen people by Yahweh, you seriously need to remove the plank from your own eye before pointing out the splinters in others..........

The Torah is a holy book in Islam and Christianity as well as Judaism (in Christianity, it forms five of the books of the 'Old Testament' and in Islam it's referred to as the 'Tawrat'). However 'modern' religious people tend to downplay the more objectionable aspects of the book, of which frankly there are many, and rely on other, later teachings such as the New Testament and the Koran.

A favourite strategy of anti-Muslim propaganda is to select passages from the Koran in isolation, out of context, to illustrate a point. But to be fair, the Koran doesn't say much that hasn't already been said in the Torah (except to expand Muhammad's allowed list of sexual partners to include some of his closer relatives).

@Al Poker: Can you please give an example of the extended list of closer relatives you refer to- and if possible where you obtained this information. As far as I know, the Quran disallows marriage close relatives. There is a prescribed list that is disallowed.

Thank you

I believe the relevant passage in the English translation is from 'The Confederate Tribes', where Muhammad is permitted 'the daughters of his maternal and paternal uncles' (ie. his cousins) which, if I understand correctly, would not be allowed for other Muslims.

I did not mean in any way to imply that incest was permitted by the Koran - sorry if it came across that way.

@Al Poker : No offence. The Quran has detailed instructions for every aspect of a Muslim's life, including subjects of marriage, divorce, business dealings, inheritance, prayer, treating children , treating parents, responsibilities of males, rights of females... and alot more.

Its interesting to see the world catch up (looking through the eyes of a Muslim) and here's an example from personal observation.

If you go into the hospital and look at the "hand washing" chart. It advises to wash your hands up to your wrists at least 3 times, and also wash between the fingers. When a Muslim performs wudu before the prayer when washing the hands you wash the right then the left up to the wrists 3 times and in between the fingers. Seems like medical science has found a benefit in the prescribed manner. Remember this was prescribed for Muslims over 1400 years ago.