Sounds like the socket but it may be worth swapping a filter, its amazing what strange symptoms a dodgy filter can cause.

I've had an interesting lunch time, as nobody apart from bazcabs junior and myself were home.

Router connected in ususal place with usual cables connects at approx 5500

Router connected to faceplate of master socket 7500

Router connected to faceplate of master socket with bell wire removed 9500 (always meant to get round to that)

Router connected to internal test socket 11500

So I suspect the socket is definately part of my problems, question is now do I get MT to fix it as it's the master or do I have to fix it myself as it's inside the house.

Anything from the master socket back is down to MT, what speed are you getting from the routers usual location now you have disconnected the bell wire? (Make sure everything else is disconnected including sky boxes etc, my old sky+ box used to cause a fault on my line)

bazcabs,

From what you have just described, I would actually think it's your internal wiring, or more likely a dodgy filter as joey said.

try removing bell wire from each socket

I agree its probably internal, do internal sockets have their own bell wires? even if they do there is no need to disconnect them once the master socket has been done.

Edited by Virtual_Boy
  • Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bazcabs,

From what you have just described, I would actually think it's your internal wiring, or more likely a dodgy filter as joey said.

try removing bell wire from each socket, remove all other devices (and filters) from all other sockets, then check you speed at your normal socket.

Also, don't run your router from an extension cable.

Good luck

Anything from the master socket back is down to MT, what speed are you getting from the routers usual location now you have disconnected the bell wire? (Make sure everything else is disconnected including sky boxes etc, my old sky+ box used to cause a fault on my line)

Now with the bell wire disconnected on the master socket I am connecting at 7962 kbps which is best part of 2000kbps better than yesterday. That's with the router back in exactly the same place as always, the only difference now is the bell wire is disconnected.

mbx, wish I could run the router direct off the master socket but there is no power socket by it. I know I am losing a couple of Mb because of the existing extension but I am also losing a couple of Mb because of the master socket (difference between front of faceplate and test socket inside).

The only thing on the circuit at the moment is a single telephone, all the sky boxes are disconnected.

Dev, I'll check out a new master socket.

Virtual_Boy, no idea if you need to remove all the bell wires but it can't do any harm, I've only got 2 other internal extensions in the house so I'm going to do them anyway.

If I have ADSL does there have to be a master socket somewhere that Manx Telecom will have fiddled with when it was first installed?

The socket that I always thought was the master socket is just an bog standard socket (I think... faceplate pretty flush with wall and no test socket behind).

My ADSL sucks at the mo but MT say I'm getting 7.6meg to my router.. but my Router tells me I'm getting 3.6meg at its best.. and normally 2.6meg so something ain't right somewhere...

If I have ADSL does there have to be a master socket somewhere that Manx Telecom will have fiddled with when it was first installed?

The socket that I always thought was the master socket is just an bog standard socket (I think... faceplate pretty flush with wall and no test socket behind).

My ADSL sucks at the mo but MT say I'm getting 7.6meg to my router.. but my Router tells me I'm getting 3.6meg at its best.. and normally 2.6meg so something ain't right somewhere...

Your phone line might have been installed prior to the installation of the NTE5 faceplates - the 'backbox' won't have a test-socket in this case.

Can you see where the phone line actually comes into the house?

If it's a good few years old, you may be able to trace the line coming in from a nearby pole, if it is a fairly recent build, you'll probably have the line coming in from underground, perhaps to a DP on the outside of the house, houses up in Governors hill have the master telephone socket near the front door.

There have been a lot of very recent builds (last 5 years or so) where the internal phone cables have been run parallel to some of the mains wiring - (really shoddy practise!!!) - this has caused quite a few issues with mains borne interference being induced onto the telephone line, BT's 'iPlate', or the ADSL Nation filtered faceplates have been known to help in these cases (they have a filter on the bell-wire rather than disconnecting it).

The ADSL Nation faceplates are available in the Wi-Manx shop on Victoria St.

Its an old house in the country side so I guess the phone lines come off the same poles that do the leccy?

I don't think I have one of those face plates...

I'm worried that calling the help centre again and logging a fault for an engineer to look at will occur me a bill.

ADSL was setup on the phone number probably about 5 years ago.. so surely they would have done a faceplate?

Well I'm semi sorted now I think.

Nice bloke from MT came round and checked things out, apparently there was an issue at the exchange and once sorted I was getting between 4.5 and 7meg. Which is a vast improvement since signing up to ADSL2+ and a slight improvement on previous to that speeds (around 3.5meg consistant).

I'm going to try removing the bell wire as well... although after taking the faceplate off its a bit of a wire jungle.. Maybe I'll post a picture and someone could point to the correct wire :)

Have been getting a awful lot of Corrected Blocks (see attached) on our Draytek since the upgrade to ADSL 2. Thankfully the line is mostly stable but has anyone else noticed a increase?

Have compared this to my Draytek at home and we have had 2 Corrected Blocks. Does this just mean that the line we are on is pant's / has too much noise on? Have to say the increase in upload speed for us is godsend but disappointed with the download speed in Onchan. As others have said Onchan's not exactly a backwater!

Wiring within the building is new and MT have replaced the faceplates / removed the bell wire after our last "problem at the exchange" issue so pretty sure it's a issue outside of our control.

post-1091-1251294584_thumb.png

Have been getting a awful lot of Corrected Blocks (see attached) on our Draytek since the upgrade to ADSL 2. Thankfully the line is mostly stable but has anyone else noticed a increase?

Have compared this to my Draytek at home and we have had 2 Corrected Blocks. Does this just mean that the line we are on is pant's / has too much noise on? Have to say the increase in upload speed for us is godsend but disappointed with the download speed in Onchan. As others have said Onchan's not exactly a backwater!

Wiring within the building is new and MT have replaced the faceplates / removed the bell wire after our last "problem at the exchange" issue so pretty sure it's a issue outside of our control.

Due to the nature of ADSL2+ and the interleaving, it is normal to get loads of FEC errors, it's a bit like trying to squeeze a quart into a pint pot.

The redundancy added by the interleaving increases latency, but in the cases of longer lines the error correction can help against packet loss + sync loss.

I've got this from my router at home:-

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 250 / 756,222

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 15 / 19

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 7,081 / 18

Is there anymore news on switching the interleaving off?

Has anyone managed to have it switched off on their line?

Has it even been confirmed that it can be done on a customer by customer basis?

I sent an email into MT and they haven't replied. Has anyone got a reply from them?