Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

New ISAM Saddlestone,Meadow Crescent . My speedtest speed went up from 3 Mbps on ADSL2 yesterday to

12.4 Mbps today. :-). :-)

572181042.png

Harcroft Meadow, just around the corner from Saddlestone. This ADSL2+ is a bit shit to be honest - my ping has doubled and I've only seen a 1 mbps increase.

Does the router you use make a difference? Running a Netgear DG834 v3 - not sure what firmware. Should I get a V5 from MT?

I'd get a V4 if you can, or any other router with a Broadcom chipset

Those super-expensive Belkin ones from the Wi-Manx shop are good, once you've replaced the alarmingly crap firmware with the 'USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK' pre-release firmware from the Belkin site. (Do not attempt to use this router with the supplied firmware, the amount of stuff that doesn't work properly is stunning.)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....rodid=NW-080-BE

I bought one last week from the Wi-Manx shop, same price as online once the P&P was factored in, which isn't bad going.

I like the little screen on the front, even though I've just ended up using it as a clock.

It's gigabit ethernet which has made a big difference to transfer speeds to and from my NAS (which is also gigabit) and also between my two wired PCs. Better wireless coverage than my old Netgear DG834GT and better transfer speeds, even on wireless g kit.

Syncs up at just over 13-meg, same as the old Netgear, and sustains the same download speeds of around 1.2MB per second.

In Saddlestone I've gone from 3.6 to 8Mbit.

Stats are as follows (for Matty and Joey)

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 288 / 8,128

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 186.83 / 4.27

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 9.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 3.0 / 4.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.0 / 15.0

Massive improvement from what I was getting just over a week ago.

The MT work was done whilst I was away in America, so that was a bonus coming home present.

BTW, I'm on Wi-Manx with the Thomson router

Do you have the ISAM in your back garden? :)

Just had a phone call from Manx Telecom advising that my Broadband is going to be upgraded, so it will be running off the new exchange in Anaghcoar. The upgrade will be happening between the 5th-16th October, depending on how fast the engineer can get through the lines. I figure I am about 800metres away from that exchange, give or take a few. The Customer Service rep from Telecom mentioned that she was up the road in Farmhill, running off the new one near Farmhill Stores and she is getting the full 16Megs :)

Whoopee, treats :D

Just had a phone call from Manx Telecom advising that my Broadband is going to be upgraded, so it will be running off the new exchange in Anaghcoar. The upgrade will be happening between the 5th-16th October, depending on how fast the engineer can get through the lines. I figure I am about 800metres away from that exchange, give or take a few. The Customer Service rep from Telecom mentioned that she was up the road in Farmhill, running off the new one near Farmhill Stores and she is getting the full 16Megs :)

Whoopee, treats :D

Lets hope the same happens to me - im probably no more than 100 m away :)

The MT work was done whilst I was away in America, so that was a bonus coming home present.

My downstream attenuation is 10.5 now. It used to be 54 before. After the new box was installed on meadow crescent

my speed is now 13.5 mbps :D:D . Ive downloaded almost 60 gigs of data in the last 7 days.

Wonder when I'll get a nasty letter from wimanx :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Can someone explain why the connected speeds in the router menu are so different to Speedtest.net. I've never had over 3 meg from Speedtest but the router says its connected at 7.7. (Still waiting foir the upgrade.)

My downstream attenuation is 10.5 now. It used to be 54 before. After the new box was installed on meadow crescent

my speed is now 13.5 mbps :D:D . Ive downloaded almost 60 gigs of data in the last 7 days.

Wonder when I'll get a nasty letter from wimanx :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I doubt you will lol, I d/led 120gb in a few days the otherday lol

Has anyone tried to set up port forwarding on the Adsl2 Netgear routers MT are dishing out? We've tried 2 and neither worked, I'm assuming it's a firmware issue.