Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

Has anyone tried to set up port forwarding on the Adsl2 Netgear routers MT are dishing out? We've tried 2 and neither worked, I'm assuming it's a firmware issue.

I'm assuming you mean the Netgear DG834 v5's?

There's is a particular firmware needed for these as a 'workaround' so they work on the local ADSL2+ - perhaps this firmware has borked the port forwarding on these?

I will test a couple of them tomorrow.

Can someone explain why the connected speeds in the router menu are so different to Speedtest.net. I've never had over 3 meg from Speedtest but the router says its connected at 7.7. (Still waiting foir the upgrade.)

The sync speed your router shows will always be higher than what you get with any of the speedtests, if you can try the PC wired to your router (no other PC's or devices connected/using the router) and run a speedtest again, to see what you get.

IIRC Avast can cripple speedtest results, it installs it's own proxy, so all web traffic gets filtered.

If you're running Avast, diable it temporarily to run a speedtest.

There's is a particular firmware needed for these as a 'workaround' so they work on the local ADSL2+ - perhaps this firmware has borked the port forwarding on these?

Yes, it's the v5. I noticed the sticker on the boxes stating its loaded with firmware for Manx Telecom. As a last resort I upgraded the firmware and it didn't seem to break anything, but it also didn't fix the port forwarding issue.

Yes, it's the v5. I noticed the sticker on the boxes stating its loaded with firmware for Manx Telecom. As a last resort I upgraded the firmware and it didn't seem to break anything, but it also didn't fix the port forwarding issue.

Have tried opening all ports (DMZ) to a laptop from the router & have had no probs with it (using VNC).

Disabled all ports, then set it up manually to just forward ports for VNC to the laptop - this also worked, I haven't tried any other apps that would need port forwarding, I'm guessing they will also probably work.

Have you tried setting a manual IP address on the box you want the port forwarding for, then assigning the port forwarding you need?

Router here is running Firmware V1.6.00.28

I'm currently uploading the .31 firmware, will have a go with this one.

Edited by matty

The router has been trying to download .31 works ok with ports forwarded for VNC, however the router when you log in does try and download .35 and fails.

Have you tried setting a manual IP address on the box you want the port forwarding for, then assigning the port forwarding you need?

Yeah, all our machines are manual IP's. That's weird it's working ok for you, we've had 2 new routers and port forwarding hasn't worked on either. It's not anything we are doing wrong because we put our pre-upgrade router back in with exactly the same port forwarding settings as the new ones and it works fine. I'll check the firmware versions, but it hasn't worked with the pre-loaded MT version, or the latest upgrade as of a couple of weeks ago.

Yeah, all our machines are manual IP's. That's weird it's working ok for you, we've had 2 new routers and port forwarding hasn't worked on either. It's not anything we are doing wrong because we put our pre-upgrade router back in with exactly the same port forwarding settings as the new ones and it works fine. I'll check the firmware versions, but it hasn't worked with the pre-loaded MT version, or the latest upgrade as of a couple of weeks ago.

Bet you it's a Netgear issue.

Their recent firmwares have been crap.

40492.png

Normal ADSL, stingray modem

There's a bit of an overhead in the stingrays, as the PC is performing some of the functions that would normally go on in a router, still your results show the extra latency added by the interleaving set on all the ADSL2+ circuits - be nice for the gamers out there when we get the option to have the interleaving switched off!!

just been upgraded :)

sync at 16.1mbps (so he said)

586351762.png

So farmhill has stepped into the digital age now!!!!