Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

Forgive me for not wanting to trawl through all 31 pages for an answer;

Has any conclusion been drawn on which is the best router for ADSL2+?

Cheers

Forgive me for not wanting to trawl through all 31 pages for an answer;

Has any conclusion been drawn on which is the best router for ADSL2+?

Cheers

I dont think there is a definitive answer to that, I guess it depends if you want 802.11g or n, if you want gigabit ports or even a USB host port etc.

I think one thing is for sure though and that is you dont want the Netgear DG834G v5 from MT, but the v4 of the same router is great.

thanks for the responses, looks like I'd better reconsider the upgrade!

Anything fairly recent that uses the Broadcom chipset (same chipset in the ISAM/ RISAM equipment over here).

List here....

Avoid the Netgear DG834 v5's like the plague, they have a Connexant chipset that needs a bodged firmware to support the local implementation of 2+.

Broadcom have a few 'non-standard' tweaks to improve the ADSL2+ connection (INP=2 etc) which isn't supported by other chipsets, unless they pay Broadcom a license fee.

Just been switched over to the non-interleaving profile, gave me a ping decrease of 21ms minimum.

Dont know why im getting 100% packet loss now though as that obviously isnt the case, if the packet loss had tested correctly it would be an A rated line quality.

687540476.png

8250070.png

EDIT: The switchover halved my download speed but switching my modem's DSL mode from auto to ADSL2+ fixed this (Netgear DG834G v4).

Been switched to non-interleaving today, 8981752.png

Router is synced 11,095 down, 829 up, 9.05mb on the speedtest.

Price reduction and other stuff. Yay!

I honestly think it would be fairer if you got charged a fee relative to the connection speed you are getting. Why should someone paying the same money as you get something 75% faster?

2-4MB pays x, 5-8 pays x 8-12 pays x 13-16 pays full whack

Seems fair to me?

I honestly think it would be fairer if you got charged a fee relative to the connection speed you are getting. Why should someone paying the same money as you get something 75% faster?

Seems fair to me?

Because it's not the telco's fault that you live further away?

I far prefer this 'as fast as your line can support' method, far better than the old days when we were all capped at a low speed for the same price. It's not like they're charging you more since those days, is it?

Seems fair to me?

Because it's not the telco's fault that you live further away?

I far prefer this 'as fast as your line can support' method, far better than the old days when we were all capped at a low speed for the same price. It's not like they're charging you more since those days, is it?

No, i agree that's where i live isn't their choosing, but all i am saying is to charge a fee relative to the service you are receiving. How is it fair to barely get 4MB when people living 200 metres away can get 15MB? I appreciate it's down to the location of ADSL extenders but it's very frustrating.

Edited by somewhatdamaged

No, i agree that's where i live isn't their choosing, but all i am saying is to charge a fee relative to the service you are receiving. How is it fair to barely get 4MB when people living 200 metres away can get 15MB? I appreciate it's down to the location of ADSL extenders but it's very frustrating.

Look at it this way, you're paying for a guaranteed 2mb line and anything over that is a free bonus. I get about 7mb, and I'm delighted with that. I'd prefer 15meg of course, but I'm chuffed that they upped the speed and the prices have gone down.

Look at it this way, you're paying for a guaranteed 2mb line and anything over that is a free bonus. I get about 7mb, and I'm delighted with that. I'd prefer 15meg of course, but I'm chuffed that they upped the speed and the prices have gone down.

All things considered the ADSL support on the Island is not at all bad. Many of my customers in the US don't have ADSL, just wonky dial-up.

It may have taken a time to get this far but for someone like myself who works from home writing software I could easily operate from the Island.

All things considered the ADSL support on the Island is not at all bad. Many of my customers in the US don't have ADSL, just wonky dial-up.

It may have taken a time to get this far but for someone like myself who works from home writing software I could easily operate from the Island.

I thought much of the US & Canada are served by cable providers - guessing this may not be possible if you live 'out in the sticks' - however there are a lot of available satellite services for people who are out of town, and not too expensive either.

I thought much of the US & Canada are served by cable providers - guessing this may not be possible if you live 'out in the sticks' - however there are a lot of available satellite services for people who are out of town, and not too expensive either.

Satellite has poor speeds (can't remeber whether it's upload or download) and very bad latency :(

As for cable - you end up with ISP's run by children - example COMCAST.

Been switched to non-interleaving today, 8981752.png

Router is synced 11,095 down, 829 up, 9.05mb on the speedtest.

I always get 100% packet loss to Dublin but its fine to Milton Keynes etc... Why would this be?

9726436.png

Edited by Virtual_Boy

An example of the latency difference between the two profiles;

12659966731924512659868.png

pre and post upgrade (latency on the left in ms)