fat chance I've got if they can only manage this on an 8meg service :(

The Reach-Extended mode of ADSL2+ will give you a boost, granted, not 8Mbps but you may be able to squeeze a couple of extra Mbps out of the connection.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

509917804.png

fat chance I've got if they can only manage this on an 8meg service :(

Where do you live?

When we bought our house a few years ago, one of our main considerations was 'How good will the broadband be?'.........

I think it's a widespread problem in the Farmhill area, as far as I have seen in other reports, there is some work going on with a new green box on the verge up on Stevenson way but I don't know if that has any connection with broadband or just more lines for the new housing lower down. The MT man when he was here couldn't get any faster on his test meter in the master socket than my router was showing so seems we're stuck with it. I have been seriously considering sticking a dish up and using a 2-way satellite 8meg system instead, about the same price or less !

Tempus - do you know how to access the line statistics on your router? If you can get the attenuation, I may be able to guestimate what speed RE-ADSL would give you - failing that, ask your ISP if they think ADSL2+ RE-ADSL will offer any benefit.

Just a word to the wise if anyone's going to be getting a nice new ADSL router as part of these 16-meg roll outs, whatever you do, steer well clear of the Netgear DG834N.

It's the buggiest, crashiest, flakiest, most awful piece-of-shit comms gear it's ever been my misfortune to tussle with. (Especially on wireless, on wired it's not so bad, when it's not overheating or hanging, that is.)

After three weeks of strife I've given up - (I hate giving up) - and gone back to my trusty DG834GT, which is actually connecting faster than the DG834N was anyway.

Tempus - do you know how to access the line statistics on your router? If you can get the attenuation, I may be able to guestimate what speed RE-ADSL would give you - failing that, ask your ISP if they think ADSL2+ RE-ADSL will offer any benefit.

my line attenuation is 54 on wimanx. I guess thats pretty high. The max speed Ive ever got on speed tests is 1.5 mbps. :(:(:(

Would ADSL2 help at all ?

I live in Saddlestone by the way and the neighbours also say that the speeds are slow. :(

my line attenuation is 54 on wimanx. I guess thats pretty high. The max speed Ive ever got on speed tests is 1.5 mbps. :(:(:(

I live in Saddlestone by the way and the neighbours also say that the speeds are slow. :(

Should (in theory) get around 3.5mb on a reach extended profile with your attenuation.

Should (in theory) get around 3.5mb on a reach extended profile with your attenuation.

In Saddlestone myself and get around 3.5 on Wi-Manx.

It was a flaky 2 when I was with MT.

I've had engineers round and had a newer version of the iPlate fitted which has cut out a bit of line noise, and reduced dropouts to once a day instead of the three or four times I used to endure.

Ohh .. looks like they've just done Douglas:

post-2038-1246870908_thumb.jpg

Beats me why it was done at 10:00am on a Monday morning weeks before it was scheduled, but I'm not complaining

I think I solved my problem, the router they've sent me is duff.

I got a brand new Netgear that Telecom sent my brother in law connected it up, passwords in and everything works, even the xbox 360. So I'll drop mine into the Telecom shop when I get a chance and hopefully they'll replace it.

I think I solved my problem, the router they've sent me is duff.

I got an brand new Netgear that Telecom sent my brother in law connected it up, passwords in and everything works, even the xbox 360. So I'll drop mine into the Telecom shop when I get a chance and hopefully they'll replace it.

I've heard a few reports about dodgy Netgears recently, which is odd 'cause in the past they were pretty bulletproof.

As I mentioned - (earlier in this thread I think, I lose track with all the drugs) - I had three weeks of strife with a brand new Netgear DG834N, before finally accepting it was just the router itself that was shit, after having recovered my old DG834GT from the in-laws (they hadn't started using it yet) and lo and behold everything was perfect again.

There's nothing worse than dodgy comms gear, the best kind of comms gear is the kind you're not even aware exists as it were, 'cause it just sits there and does its job.

Beats me why it was done at 10:00am on a Monday morning weeks before it was scheduled, but I'm not complaining

That still looks pre-upgrade to be honest. When you are upgraded to ADSL2+ - based on the fact you get 6-7Mbps - I estimate ~12Mbps with ADSL2+

Oh and the netgear N series wifi is poo, just change the wifi to G+B and it works fine.

I did that and more besides, I spent hours trying to sort the bloody thing out, before concluding it's a horrible shitty piece of shit that looks like shit as well, stupid box type shit unlike the much sleeker DG834GT.

Just Google the shitty thing, there are a lot of unhappy customers when it comes to the shitty DG834N.

Joe,

Any guesstimate what I will get? :-

DownStream Connection Speed 4384 kbps

UpStream Connection Speed 288 kbps

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream

Connection Speed 4384 kbps 288 kbps

Line Attenuation 43 db 13 db

Noise Margin 11 db 31 db