Anyone going for the 2+ re-grade that has a Netgear, might be worth running the setup wizard again.

Have seen a couple of cases where after a regrade, the router connects at a faster speed, using G.992.3 annex A modulation - this is ADSL2, not 2+

If you run the setup wizard again (it should autodetect correct modulation) - make sure it comes up with G.992.5 annex A - this is ADSL2+.

Edited by matty

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sick of trying to get my free Netgear Dg834g to connect to my xbox. It just won't work. It's time I bought a new one that's ADSL 2+ compliant and will work with the Xbox.

I think it's time to try and find the Router thread.

My ADSL2 has been turned on and now connected at downstream 6.3Mbps and upstream 830Kbps, much better than before which was around downstream 2.5-3.0Mbps.

Very annoying being supplied by the Maughold DSLAM, rather than the Glen Mona DSLAM which is just up the road :(

Anyone going for the 2+ re-grade that has a Netgear, might be worth running the setup wizard again.

Have seen a couple of cases where after a regrade, the router connects at a faster speed, using G.992.3 annex A modulation - this is ADSL2, not 2+

If you run the setup wizard again (it should autodetect correct modulation) - make sure it comes up with G.992.5 annex A - this is ADSL2+.

It has now been confirmed there is an issue with the local ADSL2+ services and the Netgear 834 (Version 5) routers - they don't connect as ADSL2+ when you go through the setup wizard, or even set it to ADSL2+.

There should be an imminent firmware release for the routers to fix this.

The 834 v5 uses the Conexant chipset, so it could be an issue with this - have tested an 834v5 on the same 'standard' adsl (G.DMT) line as an old Speedtouch 585 (Broadcom chipset) - the 585 connected over 400k faster!!!

A m8 of mine has upgraded he is getting around 7 megs down and 500k up

Will it improve at all he speed tested on manx net and it says 14 megs lol i think they need to take of the magnet they have on the speed clock.

He was getting 6 megs before so not really worth the upgrade :(

It has now been confirmed there is an issue with the local ADSL2+ services and the Netgear 834 (Version 5) routers - they don't connect as ADSL2+ when you go through the setup wizard, or even set it to ADSL2+.

There should be an imminent firmware release for the routers to fix this.

The 834 v5 uses the Conexant chipset, so it could be an issue with this - have tested an 834v5 on the same 'standard' adsl (G.DMT) line as an old Speedtouch 585 (Broadcom chipset) - the 585 connected over 400k faster!!!

Thanks for this. My mate in peel seemed to be first to find the v5 problem out with the MT engineer that did his upgrade. But when my dad had the same problem w(ith the v5 he was given from MT), MT would not even consider there was a problem with the v5s they were giving out with the 24 month deal . I can now keep an eye out for the firmware upgrade now. Cheers :)

Router Chipset comparison

I'm running a few tests with different routers & will post the results shortly.

It looks like anything with the Conexant chip set seems to be quite a bit slower than Broadcom and others for syncing up.

- Shame Netgear dumped the Broadcom chipset in favour of the Conexant for their v5 routers.