Are you going to fill Amy Winehouse's drug collection up whilst you're in St Lucia? Is that why you're going there?

Fixed.

No. "While" was correct. It means "during the time that". Whilst "whilst" means on the other hand.

S

I knew Salford 50 years ago - the river appeared to be neat Guiness complete with 2 foot of foam head, there were a few good areas but they were small islands in the midst of old victorian slums or near slums (are there still play-streets as green areas were in such short supply?), the original fictional Coronation street was actually quite prettified compared with some areas not a few hundred yards from Granada studios (then mostly porter cabins).

Gorton wasn't that bad at that time though Mosside was best avoided.

Did you mean the non-fictional street? The original Coronation Street, which is off Regent Road in Ordsall is like an island in that area. It is a pretty little area, probably Victorian, surrounded by rather ugly, modern suburban-type houses and council-homes. I don't know about play-streets but lots of kids hang about with nothing to do, but there are a lot of little parks near me. And the Irwell today looks more like a light lager with a touch of froth in places - a bit cleaner.

Are you going to fill Amy Winehouse's drug collection up whilst you're in St Lucia? Is that why you're going there?

Fixed.

No. "While" was correct. It means "during the time that". Whilst "whilst" means on the other hand.

S

Thanks for that....

• 2 weeks later...
Oh right, when? Pendleton, Clifton, and Lower Broughton are rough as f*ck. I thought I had come to Beirut when I moved here seven years ago, but some parts are actually all right, especially in comparison to other areas of Greater Manchester. Its old reputation unfortunately precedes it and it is generally a deprived area. (But would far rather live here than the Isle of Man but then I probably want different things.) Mosside and Gorton - now they are dumps!

I've lived all over Salford, Irlam of the Height, Langworthy, Greengate, Lower and Higher Broughton and for 2 years was a housing officer covering the whole of Salford, so know it well. I moved out in 2001 after there was a machine gun murder in the street behind my house that killed a man and nearly took out his two kids as they slept in their bunk beds. On some points I will defend Salford, I had some good friends there and nothing bad ever happened to me in 7 years but I saw a lot of the darkside of the area as a housing officer and would never, ever, go back.