Cost Of Postage Stamps

The cost of a local stamp has always been less than that of the cost of posting to the UK. Until recently the difference was 2 or 3 pence.

Now a local stamp costs 32p and a stamp to the UK 33p, a difference of just 1p.

Is it worth the bother of having two differently priced stamps or is this just a method for the Isle of Man Post Office to make more revenue? I find it a bit of a hassle keeping two sets of stamps.

A couple of years ago the post office issued stamps which weren't priced, which was very handy. I get fed up with every few months (it seems) having to buy 1p or 2p stamps to make up the rise (which is a nice little earner for the Post Office).

I lay awake at night worrying about it. That drawer with all the differently priced stamps in it. Stamps, stamps stamps stamps.

Just stamps would be better. Like in UK.

There seems to be a Manx obsession with stamps.

But yes, far cheaper than dropping off a letter myself gazza, but it wasn't the price of stamps per se I was whinging about.

Is it worth the bother of having two differently priced stamps or is this just a method for the Isle of Man Post Office to make more revenue?

Pricing local deliveries the same as UK would earn them more surely? I imagine if they did introduce a flat rate for IOM and UK people like you would complain you were being ripped off by a penny on your local postage anyway so it's a lose-lose for them whatever!

Personally, I send so little by post that I just hand it over the counter and pay the man. Except at Christmas time when I'm sending my cards out. I don't sleep for a week with the worry of buying two differently priced stamps.

I probably would complain too!

But. . . at 33p, the penny makes very little difference anyway.

So when the the price is say, 75p for UK, the local stamp will be 74p.

Does that make my point clearer?

Yes! It's definitely a penny difference!

Do you really buy that many stamps in one go that you spend hours in the post office queue forking out as much as a pound for 1p stamps to make up the difference when the prices do change?

A couple of years ago the post office issued stamps which weren't priced, which was very handy.
I've still got half a dozen sheets of each - one set of stamps with just "IOM" on and the others with "UK". I still use them and never had any problems with them being declined.