Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
bluemonday

Tt Debrief

20 years ago a majority of the British public would have been able to name at least one person who raced motorbikes. Probably 2.

Today most people in Britain could not name a single person who races bikes. The sport is heading in the direction which darts went. Name a current darts player.

I certainly don't follow darts but am aware of this chap - Phil "The power" Taylor. I claim my prize

Super, smashing, great !! It's a bulllllseye!! "You can't beat a bit of Bully!" You've won a caravan.

No thanks, but I'll have the speedboat

Was at Racket this morning picking up some tickets.

Obviously the place was full of bikers going home.

It struck me that they must be really keen to spend all that money to come over here despite everything.

No doubt the morons who organised the 'entertainment' will claim it was a success but from the comments of everyone I've spoken to, the opposite seems to be the opinion. And that includes the 5 bob box of fireworks.

It really does amaze me that they still return year after year.

There is such a reservoir of support/goodwill.

So options for change?

Lessons learnt?

( Not that it will do any good )

i think this year has been a bit of hit and miss....... credit crunch/Poor entertaintment

I can only think that the only way to maximise anything in the future is to centre any entertainment around Nobles Park.

I know the fair has been moved from here for various reasons, but surely there is a way around this, and they can have something on a smaller scale up there, aswell as bands (nightly stage entertainment) in another area. and then retain some bars( bushys) down the prom. with some more entertainment in the villa and maybe Bowl.

I say this as the last time i really remember the TT being something to look too was prior to the centenary in Nobles.

I agree the Fair on the prom was not Ideal, But lots of music festivals have fairs on a small scale in Parks with No problem , whats the issue??

If Bushy's want more entertainment on the prom then maybe they should help pay for it. I mean, who benefits from this after all...

I'd rather my taxes were spent on something else by DTL. Maybe promoting the IOM for the other 50 weeks of the year?

Most TT visitors don't stay in Douglas now. The tent was full of locals the times I went.

Bushy's applied to put on their own entertainment but were refused permission . . .

My visitors have been coming to the TT most years over the last decade. A couple of them for over 20 years.

They've seen the entertainment on the promenade evolve from spontaneous wheelies to organised bike thieves doing burnouts and wrecking bikes, and they have seen 'Miss Wet T Shirt' competition evolve into virtually live sex shows (!).

This year there were no organised stunts on Douglas promenade, no funfair etc. (although the TT days around the villages has been excellent).

But they all agree it has been one of the best TT years ever. They come primarily for the racing and they will definitely be back next year.

It is about time that the TT centred around the racing and not the funfair and organised shows.

Roll on 2010.

The Bay was busy all week, and the Port Erin fun day seems to get better each year, fantastic I'm happy it's just outside the front door.

but thats my opinion and only one yes vote from me, no matter how loud i shout, just one yes

if however I was one of the hundreds / thousands of people moved over to retire and bought an expensive flat on Douglas prom, Port Erin prom, nice place in Peel etc., where hotels full of TT visitors used to stand I may be of a totaly diffrent opinion.

You know the type, you never see them but you know they're there, the lights are on.

There are thousands of them, they go out the front door get in the lift jump, into the car drive to T***o, home in car, up in lift, and back to safety of the flat, no interaction / mingling with the locals.

Each gets the same, one vote.

So thats a thousand no votes from them,

and negatives from who ever they vote in to power the next day in Tynwald.

(was that a rant)

I think another thing which differs from the past is the over decline in the number of entertainment venues around Douglas, especially those around the prom and especially those that could handle a larger crowd. Places like Summerland, The Venue, The Central\ Broadway Bar, Bushys, and various other pubs and clubs are sorely missed. The lack of decent sized venues seems to me to have an effect to the whole nightlife scene in Douglas at all times and during TT week when each of these places seemed to make an extra effort the effect is magnified.

My suggestion is quite simple just takes a lot of planning and hard work.

We should be promoting the TT as a festival. Perhaps the format used for the Goodwood festval of speed should be looked at.

As an island we should be celebrating the TT all year round. We could do with a dedicated TT exhibition / museum (which we already had in Murray's but the government failed to support it). There should be exhibitions focusing on all aspects of motorcycling past present and future (not just some half hearted attempt in the museum).

It needs to be made entertaining for both young and old (petrol head or not).

We should have screens showing both modern and old film footage dotted around at strategic places.

We are talking about the road racing capital of the world, I doubt you would even notice if you came here outside the TT fortnight.

The Dti should be supporting and encouraging individuals throughout the year to provide a world class festival atmosphere.

What I am suggesting would also serve to promote the Isle of Man throughout the other 50 weeks.

The cost of getting here is a major barrier so the DTL needs to be doing something special and have a viable plan going forward if the crowds coming over do not feel cheated.

The DTL needs to engage with the visitors, residents, young and old, petrol head or not. The TT is probably the DTL's chance to increase tourism in the IOM but every year the event seems to get less involving for the residents and visitors. I suggest they go back to the drawing board and come up with something more interesting and radically different for next year. BTW the effort put in by the competing teams and riders was once again a first class display.

Just treating the whole event as a festival would certainly give plenty of scope and ideas.

Sorry I totally missed the fact it was being advertised as a festival already, cannot think how I missed this fact.

Edited by Nkon

Agree with what's been said, the TT wasn't much of a festival this year. The racing is important but it's not the only thing people come over for. The atmosphere and fun is a big draw as well, an atmosphere that was lacking this year, glad I dodged a bullet by not having friends over this year.

There's a petition online about it - TT Petition, I've signed up and I encourage others to as well!

All the complaining seems to come from Douglas, It ise the ISLE OF MAN TT RACES after all and Ramsey, Laxey, Peel etc have all been busy day and night :D

Online petitions are not worth the paper they are written on.

They are if you print them and dump then on the Minister involved and the papers. Only thing politicians care about is their own neck, evidence enough of that in the UK with them all falling hand over fist to be seen as the ones who were first to pay back their expenses.

Some SUGGESTIONS:

Have a large screen showing off the events from ITV4, motorbike associated movies, pictures, custom bikes etc

Have a carnival procession like that in Rio, Brazil

Have the old motorbikes being rode (slowly), up and down the prom by the competition riders

Bring back the fun fair. Have Bushy's at the end, then toilets, then drinks/food, then a cordoned off area for funfair where no drinks or food allowed in that area.

Have a raffle that allows the winner/s to meet the riders (requires riders consent list)

Have a photo/autograph with your favourite rider (requires riders consent list)

Have a couple of Bucking Bronco's (Rodeo Bull) and have firstly an entry fee, secondly, entry fee to competition for longest rider staying on (daily & percentage win)

Weirdest Fancy Dress event

Manx musicians event or Karaoke

Learn to Juggle

Have a bike procession (Still remember the picture of all the riders coming down to the Creg)

All raffle proceeds to go towards next years event

====================================

Add your suggestions to this one

====================================

Beauty pageant......have a look in the library at papers from years gone by. (yes, I'm a dinosaur)

Allow normal people (not 15 year old Chavs) to walk along the prom drinking a beer without chromosomally challenged gorillas stopping them). This is easily enforced by prohibiting the drinking of anything blue.]

Stop the silly rules on strippers, wet T shirts. (Yes, I'm a dinosaur)

All 15 year olds barred from the prom after 10pm.

All single mothers with prams barred from the prom after 10pm.

All fairground operators to dress as clowns (this will stop them pretending to be hard).

All coppers to allow, nay encourage, wheelies, burnouts, doughnuts etc, and to piss themselves laughing when someone falls off.

A big sign on the prom aimed at all pillion passengers saying 'SHOW US YOUR TITS' (see the dinosaur comment above)

DOTL stocks with free rotten tomatoes.

and, Steve Colley on a motorbike with his front wheel falling off ( how radical would THAT be?)

Edited by Joe Public

All single mothers with prams barred from the prom after 10pm.

Except those with 3 month old babies, looking for the father.

"He's around here somewhere, I remember he wore leathers and smelt of beer and oil"