I think it had something to do with, that when the plague was in full swing, It didn't get to the island . The locals decided they didn't want to jinx it, But I could be horribly wrong!

Thank you I did wonder! I asked my wife about this some time ago as she is Manx and she did not know why the word could not be said but said that it was bad luck.

Geez maybe I need to type it as R.A.T from now on just incase hey!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the deal with the word RAT on the IOM? Why is it unlucky to say the word? It is very strange

It was bad luck to refer to any land animal by its 'proper' name - so it was bad luck to say pommit (rabbit).

Instead, I think, you had different words to refer to these animals. Somehow the superstition has moved to land and the rat became the only animal.

Doesn't the Island have one of the highest rat populations per area in all of British or the British Isles. Remembering seeing some article in the Daily Mail a long time ago.

How much of a problem are rats in the drains over here?

it's the ones that keep getting elected into goverment that are the problem!

(couldn't resist)

I'm not sure if this is completely true, but i heard a while ago that when a boat would sink, the rats would be the last thing to leave the boats, so it was bad luck to mention them by name.... i dont see how that would just be in Isle of Man history though as surely this would be the same around the world.

"But what really alarmed us was that all regions across the country bar one - the Isle of Man - showed a rat increase."

They've all been trying to break into my house. I'm doing my bit to help keep the numbers down.

It's a sailor's superstition. Longtails can be bad news on a long voyage.

Or a convenient snack if the galley supplies begin to run low...

A mate of mine with a quite new house in Peel has already had mouse problems. I know the little critters are remarkably good at getting in where they want but you sort of don't expect to hear of them running around the living room of a new house, leaving 'presents'.

What is the deal with the word RAT on the IOM? Why is it unlucky to say the word? It is very strange

It was bad luck to refer to any land animal by its 'proper' name - so it was bad luck to say pommit (rabbit).

Instead, I think, you had different words to refer to these animals. Somehow the superstition has moved to land and the rat became the only animal.

Doesn't the Island have one of the highest rat populations per area in all of British or the British Isles. Remembering seeing some article in the Daily Mail a long time ago.

Is that why we get 'the other house' for Comin and 'the adjacent island' for England'?!

My brother in law is a farmer in the midlands and came here for a week. He couldn't believe how many rats he saw in the south of the island at night . I also went camping one night near Creigneish and got out of my tent to see hundreds running around a local barn. They were even covering cars in the vicinity. I jumped in my car and got out of there. Also, while walking on past the old bridge to silverdale one lept out of a bush and nearly landed on my son. I thought it was a squirrel at first as it made a huge leap and was massive. I've been here 18 months and perhaps I've been lucky to have never actually seen a rat in 38 years in Cheshire. Over here I can count in hundreds.

He can actually hear them shitting?? Holy crap.

If you want to be picky about what I wrote, I didn't suggest that was the case.

I said he has mouse problems and then in a separate paragraph said that you don't expect blah blah, not that he had actually heard them doing that.

So the original comment stands, and to back this up, he hasn't heard them doing that*.

Also, you'll note I said "hear of them", not "hear them".

* As far as I know.

NEXT! :P

Edited by Cret