Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Sophie =)

Steam Packet

Im sure there are so many topics on here complaining about the Steam Packet Company, but coming back from Liverpool on Sunday, we got to Douglas, only for them to tell us that there was no space to dock and we would have to wait about 15 - 30 minutes. 1 hour later we finally pulled into a spare space - after the Ben my Chree had gone out.

I dont understand how that could happen - surely they know how long it takes for the boat to come from Liverpool and there would be no space for it once it got in.

How do they just allow us to be stranded out there for an hour. Aswell as this, they didnt even open the shops back up - so we couldnt even buy a drink in the extra hour we were there!

just think, you got a free trip to Laxey for the same price :D

I think it was just that the Ben took a little longer than normal to load the hundreds of bikers going home and the other linkspan was also loading, so there's nothing much else you can do apart from leave half a boat load stranded here just to let you in :(

just as well the sea was like a millpond most of the week

I had family on that boat too. It was unfortunate, but it seems to be just one of those things.

I think the bar opening and all that is to do with some sort of law so they can't be blamed really.

the Racket refused to comply with Manx law re designating a person in charge of the bar - hence no alcohol served whilst in Manx waters.

The berth situation seems a common occurance - there is often only a few minutes spare between one boat departing and the next arriving, thus a delay to the departing craft negates any benefit from a faster than usual crossing - the Ben has to use the King Edward pier

You would think with them having a monopoly on all of the ferry docking points, they could at least stop their own fucking vessels clashing.

It is not as if they were not aware of the delays due to inter company communication issues.

Sounds like a royal cockup tbh.

the Racket refused to comply with Manx law re designating a person in charge of the bar - hence no alcohol served whilst in Manx waters.

Could you elaborate for us?

A few years ago there was an 'incident' on the Ben, the designated official got busted (he was at home at the time). After that nobody would be the official and therefore it is illegal to sell alcohol in IOM waters, 12 miles out. They do meet UK licensing laws, so ok coming this way until the last 12 miles.

Could you elaborate for us?

A few years ago there was an 'incident' on the Ben, the designated official got busted (he was at home at the time). After that nobody would be the official and therefore it is illegal to sell alcohol in IOM waters, 12 miles out. They do meet UK licensing laws, so ok coming this way until the last 12 miles.

Thanks, I thought they could have sorted that out by having a bars manager as designated official who is actually on the boat. And obviously a deputy whatever for when he/she is on holiday. Surely it's not that difficult if it's a company issue not a regulatory one? Or am I being too simplistic?

Edited by The Voice of Reason

Maybe a law change re selling alcohol would help

Alcohol for everyone!!! Woo hoo!!!

You would think with them having a monopoly on all of the ferry docking points, they could at least stop their own fucking vessels clashing.

It is not as if they were not aware of the delays due to inter company communication issues.

Sounds like a royal cockup tbh.

With 3 boats running and only 2 berths, it's quite easy for a delay to have knock on effect.

The port is the responsibillity of the Government. If a plane is unable to land becaus of a lack of 'slots', it's the Airports fault, not the airline - same with Douglas port.

Compared to the Airport, there has been fuck all investment in the facilites at Douglas for years. The building is antiquated and doesn't suit the needs of a modern operation.

I guess they're waiting for a modern operation to show interest in using the building.

It wasn't just that there was no alcohol being served, you couldnt even buy non alcoholic drinks! No water, no tea or coffee. No nothing!! Thats a bit harsh isnt it?