Calows Yard Chippy

Dull, too sterile, very friendly staff (possibly a little un-professional). I had spicy chicken lumps. Wasn't very good. Chips are OK though. Probably only go back if the Axholme Friery burger van behind the Co-op isn't there.

Edit: It's in Castletown btw

"Very friendly staff" (possibly a little un-professional)????????????????????????

Did you get a blow job or something?

Nope. They were very friendly, as in conversing with the customers, and banter. But, i got the impression that Mr Callows Yard had just picked a bunch of people and told them to give people chips for money. It was like the employees hadn't been shown how to use the machinery properly.

Possibly due to the fact theyve only just opened?... Its not like they can just go in and expect to know all of the equipment just like that?.. could be that..

Erm, training?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dull, too sterile, very friendly staff (possibly a little un-professional). I had spicy chicken lumps. Wasn't very good. Chips are OK though. Probably only go back if the Axholme Friery burger van behind the Co-op isn't there.

"Very friendly staff" (possibly a little un-professional)????????????????????????

Nope. They were very friendly, as in conversing with the customers, and banter. But, i got the impression that Mr Callows Yard had just picked a bunch of people and told them to give people chips for money. It was like the employees hadn't been shown how to use the machinery properly.

Possibly due to the fact theyve only just opened?... Its not like they can just go in and expect to know all of the equipment just like that?.. could be that..

Erm, training?

Yes thats what they will be doing... In a job you dont go in a few weeks early and train do you? You go in when you start and train then.

Also how could you possibly train in a closed shop.. If there training while its open they know what mistakes they need to improve etc If they get complaints they know what to change etc. Just saying you cant train staff in a closed shop. You need customers too.

The Coffee Shop is nice, food was good, needs a bit of character which I guess will improve with time.

Your presence in the Coffee Shop might provide the character? ....and maybe it will improve with time?????

Erm, training?

Yes thats what they will be doing... In a job you dont go in a few weeks early and train do you? You go in when you start and train then.

Also how could you possibly train in a closed shop.. If there training while its open they know what mistakes they need to improve etc If they get complaints they know what to change etc. Just saying you cant train staff in a closed shop. You need customers too.

There are ways round it. In any case, I haven't been there so can't really comment, but soft launches exist for a reason.

Erm, training?

I hate to be harsh but first impressions last, personally i would of employed experienced staff but it isnt rocket science!

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone eaten in the restraunt yet?

Our neighbours told us that the chips were excellent and cooked in beef dripping - with a 'vegetable oil' option for vegetarians.

Saw a sign out in the street last Sunday for the Chippy and the Restaurant with evening opening times (can't remember them exactly). Got there and it was closed up even though it was supposed to have been open for an hour according to the sign. Shame because there were lots of people looking in and walking away.

Looking forward to trying it when I get there and it's open.

Has anyone else tried the coffee shop? The interior is quite nice (the shop section is a bit claustrophobic) and once the Courtyard gets some non-building activity in it that area will also be quite good. But like other comments on this thread I feel this is another case at Callows Yard where the staff have not as yet got their service and coffee making up to speed. Also it is another coffee shop where you can't get an 'Italian' size cappucino. Seattle size is much too much for me.

I am sticking with The Velvet Lobster in Douglas and The Bean Bar in Ramsay which IMO make the best coffee on the Island - well worth making a visit North for the latter.

Or do you mean latte?

:D

No...before 11.00 a good strong cappucino in a tea cup sized cup with one of her baked on the premises scones. Makes Ramsey feel like Paradis-sur Mer, or more likely, Rimini (do Italians eat scones?). Ramsini?

There's a fair haired woman who works in there who is the female equivalent of Basil Fawlty ....very rude and thinks she knows it all? Anyone had that experience yet?

And while we're at it, feel free to add predictable 'don't mention the war, I'll do the silly walk, that's not a hamster it's a rat,' type quotes below ....