Calows Yard Chippy

There's a fair haired woman who works in there who is the female equivalent of Basil Fawlty ....very rude and thinks she knows it all? Anyone had that experience yet?

Yes unfortunately, have been 3 times now and what a disaster....

Please whoever is incharge take control because its only a matter of time before it goes down the shitter.

Bad bad management.

Although most if not all staff are very polite, they hav'nt got a clue what they're are doing and need some leadership, urgently.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cant remember if i've moaned yet, but me and the missus went in, the curry and chips was just chips when we got home, and the diet coke was very diet as that wasn't in the bag either. useless twats.

Went in there Saturday afternoon Castletown Carnival day. (2.30 in the afternoon - maybe they were about to close). Very poor selection of fayre on offer, no sign of any fish. Had a mediocre steak and kidney pie, but chips were quite nice. I was the only person in there but the burger van in the square though was doing a roaring trade.

went in the chippy Friday night before a hockey meeting, chips where spot on and the fish bites lurvvvvley !!!

If I am down sooooth again, i would deffo go there for my tea.

Have to agree the Bean Bar is great when up nurfffffff , shame its so small and fits like 5 people..lol

The owner Carmilla is funny as.

What is concerning about the comments on the Chippy is its 'inconsistency'.

It is no way to run a business where one day it is good and another it is appalling. Appointing appropriate staff and training them is so basic that it is almost (but not quite) unbelievable that they have not managed to do this and to get things right with the result that peoples' experiences have been so varied.

Based on the comments here it sounds risky to recommend the Chippy to friends.

What is concerning about the comments on the Chippy is its 'inconsistency'.

It is no way to run a business where one day it is good and another it is appalling. Appointing appropriate staff and training them is so basic that it is almost (but not quite) unbelievable that they have not managed to do this and to get things right with the result that peoples' experiences have been so varied.

Based on the comments here it sounds risky to recommend the Chippy to friends.

I was talking about the overall running of place as a whole not in particular the chippy, the sweet shop and the cafe seems to be where the main problems are, i think!

Firstly, in the sweet shop they have 1 school age child in the shop at all times but they have a floss machine, a cold drinks machine, an ice cream counter and of course the normal sweets. All this is a lot for any 1 person to deal with, makes it even worse when a certain female Basil Faulty character enters the shop goes behind the counter is asked for help by a stressed out teenager to be told (hysterically) that she cant help and that he is just going to have to cope on his own (in front of a shop full of customers), she certainly does seem to do a lot of running about but doesnt seem to do much work, same in the cafe from what i've seen.

As for the chippy, i hav'nt tried their food but it does look good.

My friend and i popped into the restaurant for a coffee and dessert, we were the only people in and i cant imagine why because it was lovely, the scottish guy who served us was really friendly and what we ordered was really nice, good coffee and a good size desserts.

Edited by roo

I was in there a couple of weeks ago and witnessed .....

Assitant - "There you go love, fish and chips but next time if you could order your fish when you come in it saves a lot of time."

Customer - "But I did!"

Assitant - "No you didn't!"

Jaw dropping service....!!!!

I was talking about the overall running of place as a whole not in particular the chippy, the sweet shop and the cafe seems to be where the main problems are, i think!

My friend and i popped into the restaurant for a coffee and dessert, we were the only people in and i cant imagine why because it was lovely, the scottish guy who served us was really friendly and what we ordered was really nice, good coffee and a good size desserts.

Roo I follow what you are getting at but I was thinking about all the other comments too which seem to say that you just can't be sure what sort of service or what quality of food you are gong to get.

It's a great shame as the set-up is good and if run properly could bring a lot more life into Castletown. It just does not seem to be living up to its potential at present. Maybe your experience of having a good coffee and dessert and being the only people there reflects some of the issues that are being highlighted here? Like you I enjoy having a coffee there as the surroundings are good - but personally (in passing) I would like smaller cups but have not been able to persuade them that this is possible as yet. Good service in part comes from listening to your customers.

DO NOT buy sweets from that sweet shop! There is a little shop in Castletown which is famous for selling all the jar sweets (tobacco, cola cubes, winter mixture, sports mixtures...to name but a few that I like) along comes a fancy development and nicks their idea and customers, yeah well FU to em, I will shop at the little place more often, just to make my point.

• 2 weeks later...
Never been to a more disorganised place in my life!

After waiting 20 mins to get 1 sausage and chips -it was total crap.

I will not be going back and would not recommend the place to my worse enemy.

Did you have to wait 20 mins because of a queue ...or did it REALLY take 20 mins to cook sausage and chips ...what caused the delay?

I wonder if the folk from Lorne House ever wander across and wonder what sort of horrors they have unleashed on Castletown? The development seems quite nice but it lacks 'class' - and by class I do not mean expensive I mean well run, efficient, interested in delivering what customers want and doing 'exactly what it says on the tin' i.e. well managed not well hyped.

Maybe they like soggy chips and 20 minute waits?

DO NOT buy sweets from that sweet shop! There is a little shop in Castletown which is famous for selling all the jar sweets (tobacco, cola cubes, winter mixture, sports mixtures...to name but a few that I like) along comes a fancy development and nicks their idea and customers, yeah well FU to em, I will shop at the little place more often, just to make my point.

The Callows Yard Sweet Shop doesn't sell weighed jar sweets like the one round the corner, you'd know if you'd been in! Callows Yard sell old fashioned wrapped sweets, lollipops, candy floss, pop corn, crepes, ice cream and lot more, it's a fab shop and my kids love it. We still go to the other shop for the jar sweets, surely there's enough business for both shops?!? :D

I wonder if the folk from Lorne House ever wander across and wonder what sort of horrors they have unleashed on Castletown? The development seems quite nice but it lacks 'class' - and by class I do not mean expensive I mean well run, efficient, interested in delivering what customers want and doing 'exactly what it says on the tin' i.e. well managed not well hyped.

Maybe they like soggy chips and 20 minute waits?

Come on you lot......talk about negative

I've worked in Castletown for over 10 years and this development is just what the town needs. Give them all a chance, these things take time to get right, given the size of the development and the amount of staff required it's bound to have some teething problems. I'm sure in 6 months time you'll all be happily eating there once or twice a week. :P