Death To Burglars?

Speckled Frost

How would you react on discovering a burglar in your home  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeh yeh – all the big, hard men who think they’d be Swarzenneger or willis if only they had a gun! What a load of utter bollox!

The countries where people are able to get guns are thet ones where no one seems to know how to use them!

America? Full of shitheads who think a guns the answer to every problem. Trouble is, once they press the trigger they cant take it off again until the mags empty. And god help ANYONE whos standing nearby!

My work is high risk. Fair enough – no complaints. I’ve got 4 marks casused by bullets (exaggeration – 1 is barely a nick but it left a scar) 3 from the USA 1 from Czech rep – both places where you can carry conceled weapons. What a coincidence!

Good 12 months though, I’ve only been fired at once – in Honduras where it’s easy to get a gun (I was carrying a Z-88 pistol but I didn’t even get a chance to use it). No on got hurt. Lucky.

If you think you need a weapon to protect yourself in the IoM you’re dreaming!

Hello again. Good trip? Nice speech but we were just discussing whether a householder should kill a burglar.

Ouch!

Notice to self: When in you’re in the most boring f***ing place you’ve ever seen (i.e. Murmansk); where the only ‘tourist attraction’ is an enormous concrete statue and where the nightlife is... well... ‘different,’ it is not advisable to go for a night out with a group of ‘new friends’ to a party in a big garage on the outskirts of the city.

It is even more definitely not a good idea to forego the branded vodka in favour of some kind of fruit-flavoured, homemade brandy!

It is definitely not advisable to get into an argument about gay rights with an off-duty policeman, nor is it a good idea to chat up another girl and dance very closely to her while he watches and calls you unpleasant names.

It is not sensible to walk home - about 2 km - when the temperature’s well below freezing.

It is also pretty dumb to click on to a forum at about half-past six in the morning when you’re tired, more than half-pissed, irritated and cold and give an opinion on using weapons!

Hopefully I’m sorted now because I have some very important meetings today in Kandalaksha and then, thank god, it’s back to St Petersburg and civilisation!

But with plenty more to do, I probably won’t be posting again for a few weeks at least!

On the subject of burglars – if you ever do confront one, remember that your home is packed with weapons, from kitchen knives, pots, pans to shoes, all kinds of sprays – a host of things. Just don’t hold back – go in wholeheartedly and, above all, yell/scream/roar as you do so. You wouldn’t believe how much that can scare someone and give you an edge!

With a gun? Shoot low. Incapacitate and probably end a burglary career without a manslaughter charge.smile.png

5:30 time to go - 3hours to the back of beyond!biggrin.png

• Like 1

I think the title of this thread was designed to smoke out the more "direct acting" posters. Are there only 2 alternatives if someone breaks into your house ie kill or by completely passive? Of course not!

It is just about completely unjustifiable to kill anyone who breaks in but reasonable force is a different matter and much harder to prove against you. I think anyone who breaks into a house, especially if it's occupied really does give up a lot of rights they would have if they had just walked on by. How you interpret that is up to you but you will obviously be called upon to justify your actions later.

• Like 1

Luckily we don't usually have a problem with burglary in the IoM but for the times that we do, coming from a rough area across and been stung before, I have a baseball bat under the bed just in case. Wouldn't hesitate to knock a skull off it's socket if they threatened my family's safety.

Anyone who's been a victim of burglary before takes this approach I think!

Guns aren't the answers though, you kill some scumbag and the scumbags friends + family will just torch your house etc and it just becomes one revenge attack on the other with nobody actually winning. Couple of smacks with a blunt object is justifiable though, most burglars carry a weapon of sorts to gain entry to a building whether its a crow bar, screwdriver or hammer etc.

I think the title of this thread was designed to smoke out the more "direct acting" posters. Are there only 2 alternatives if someone breaks into your house ie kill or by completely passive? Of course not!

It is just about completely unjustifiable to kill anyone who breaks in but reasonable force is a different matter and much harder to prove against you. I think anyone who breaks into a house, especially if it's occupied really does give up a lot of rights they would have if they had just walked on by. How you interpret that is up to you but you will obviously be called upon to justify your actions later.

If someone is in my house I don't know how tooled up he is or what he might be off his head on. Why would I stand there weighing up the subtle nuances of what might be considered "reasonable force" after the fact? These are split second decisions. He has no right to be there. I don't care about his welfare.

Edited by woolley

Ouch!

Notice to self: When in you’re in the most boring f***ing place you’ve ever seen (i.e. Murmansk); where the only ‘tourist attraction’ is an enormous concrete statue and where the nightlife is... well... ‘different,’ it is not advisable to go for a night out with a group of ‘new friends’ to a party in a big garage on the outskirts of the city.

It is even more definitely not a good idea to forego the branded vodka in favour of some kind of fruit-flavoured, homemade brandy!

It is definitely not advisable to get into an argument about gay rights with an off-duty policeman, nor is it a good idea to chat up another girl and dance very closely to her while he watches and calls you unpleasant names.

It is not sensible to walk home - about 2 km - when the temperature’s well below freezing.

It is also pretty dumb to click on to a forum at about half-past six in the morning when you’re tired, more than half-pissed, irritated and cold and give an opinion on using weapons!

Hopefully I’m sorted now because I have some very important meetings today in Kandalaksha and then, thank god, it’s back to St Petersburg and civilisation!

But with plenty more to do, I probably won’t be posting again for a few weeks at least!

On the subject of burglars – if you ever do confront one, remember that your home is packed with weapons, from kitchen knives, pots, pans to shoes, all kinds of sprays – a host of things. Just don’t hold back – go in wholeheartedly and, above all, yell/scream/roar as you do so. You wouldn’t believe how much that can scare someone and give you an edge!

With a gun? Shoot low. Incapacitate and probably end a burglary career without a manslaughter charge.smile.png

5:30 time to go - 3hours to the back of beyond!biggrin.png

But was Murmansk OK apart from that? Good luck. Enjoy. Keep safe and check in now and then.

• Like 1

I think Amadeus and Endovelicus have been watching too many Michael Winner films.

Unless you've been in the situation that you have come across someone in the process of ransacking your house in the middle of the night, I suggest you more follow the example of Max Linder when you take to the MF screen.

After the break in I used to keep a golf club next to the bed. Don't need that, or a gun, anymore now as the place I'm staying at has armed security anyway. Makes me sleep very safe and sound.

Just remember a tip I was given after the break in. Won't say by whom, but apparently if you do catch a culprit in your house and have managed to somewhat overpower the scumbag, you're supposed to spin him around a bit and then throw him down the stairs. Apparently that looks like he just fell when he tried to escape. I like the thinking behind it and would hope for a broken neck. :)

• Like 3

I'd risk it. And who said anything about an accident?

You've been watching too many Michael Winner films.

Don't believe I have seen even one.

ETA: Remember, this thread started off as "should a householder kill a burglar?" I see nothing wrong with that at all. Good riddance to bad rubbish before they pick on some other innocent and vulnerable person.

Edited by woolley