Death To Burglars?

Speckled Frost

How would you react on discovering a burglar in your home  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

ETA: Remember, this thread started off as "should a householder kill a burglar?" I see nothing wrong with that at all. Good riddance to bad rubbish before they pick on some other innocent and vulnerable person.

I wouldn't. And I wouldn't vote for anyone who declares themselves so willing and able to perpetrate such an act of violence.

ETA: Remember, this thread started off as "should a householder kill a burglar?" I see nothing wrong with that at all. Good riddance to bad rubbish before they pick on some other innocent and vulnerable person.

I wouldn't. And I wouldn't vote for anyone who declares themselves so willing and able to perpetrate such an act of violence.

You're going soft. Are you sure you're the real you? You're not TJ by any chance - he's a wet pinko-liberal.

Good thing I'm not standing for election then. I reckon plenty would vote for it though.

Edited by woolley

Come back when you've been in that situation, Mr Pacifist Internet Hero.

Bunch of keyboard commandos the lot of you.

Professional soldiers in front line combat have a high percentage likelihood of hesitating to fire, what makes you wannbe Bronsons think you'll be able to pull the trigger (and actually hit what you're aiming at)?

Best thing you can do is make a lot of noise upstairs and scare the burglar off. I'm sure the police would rather be taking a statement from you, that zipping up your body bag because you've tried to go toe to toe with a potentially armed assailant.

• Like 2

Come back when you've been in that situation, Mr Pacifist Internet Hero.

Says the internet murderer.

Yeh yeh – all the big, hard men who think they’d be Swarzenneger or willis if only they had a gun! What a load of utter bollox!

The countries where people are able to get guns are thet ones where no one seems to know how to use them!

America? Full of shitheads who think a guns the answer to every problem. Trouble is, once they press the trigger they cant take it off again until the mags empty. And god help ANYONE whos standing nearby!

My work is high risk. Fair enough – no complaints. I’ve got 4 marks casused by bullets (exaggeration – 1 is barely a nick but it left a scar) 3 from the USA 1 from Czech rep – both places where you can carry conceled weapons. What a coincidence!

Good 12 months though, I’ve only been fired at once – in Honduras where it’s easy to get a gun (I was carrying a Z-88 pistol but I didn’t even get a chance to use it). No on got hurt. Lucky.

If you think you need a weapon to protect yourself in the IoM you’re dreaming!

What does your globe-trotting travel itinerary have to do with an individual's inalienable right to bear arms? It isn't predicated upon regional crime levels or perceived necessity. It's simply a right for any free man or free woman to own arms. Anybody who says otherwise, yet insists the government be allowed arms, is promoting a government monopoly on violence and is therefore an advocate of tyranny.

Edited by Thomas Jefferson

Professional soldiers in front line combat have a high percentage likelihood of hesitating to fire, what makes you wannbe Bronsons think you'll be able to pull the trigger (and actually hit what you're aiming at)?

Best thing you can do is make a lot of noise upstairs and scare the burglar off. I'm sure the police would rather be taking a statement from you, that zipping up your body bag because you've tried to go toe to toe with a potentially armed assailant.

"and actually hit what you're aiming at"

How true. Woken from a deep slumber by a burglar and you reach under the pillow for your loaded gun (is a loaded gun wise in a home with children?), then proceed downstairs to shoot the person dead all in 1/2 lighting.

Comical, absolutely comical.

Or you "beat him senseless", but he's armed with the jemmy he used to force access. Best of luck, but be prepared for him to respond in kind.

Better still to have the terriers bark at the burglar before he gains access? He'll clear off and 'do' the house next door.

TBT.

• Like 1

Bunch of keyboard commandos the lot of you.

What does anything in your post have to do with an individual's right to bear arms and to defend themselves and their family in their own property? Are you suggesting, because we're not Rambo or Batman, that we shouldn't make any sort of preparation for a burglary and should just sit back and let some fuckwit rob us and potentially murder our family? Are you seriously suggesting making a load of noise is somehow a better life insurance than having a gun to defend yourself? Hahahaha

In the UK I wonder how many victims of a break in are actually murdered or raped ? And of those how many knew the offender.

I'm guessing the chances of a stranger breaking in to rape or kill you are tiny. and I don't think killing someone to protect your Blu-Ray player is reasonable.

Hahahahahahahaha .... LOL Hahahahahaha ... LOL Jeeez

• Like 2

It's a bit like any horrible crime Chut, very few of us ever experience it, but the day you do, you may not be LOLing so much. People (and old people at that) have been brutally tortured in their own home because some village idiot heard in the pub they'd got thousands in cash in every cupboard.

Given the large number of conspiracy theorists on here, I'm surprised nobody has linked the thread to the impending (few weeks) triennial renewal of firearms licences.wink.png

Edited by ballaughbiker
  • Like 1

What would you do then?

Put the kettle on and talk them to fucking death?

Of course not you silly mare. As one who will never support capital punishment I will always find death too extreme a punishment for burglary, no matter how uneasy I might find the situation. Especially what amounts to a summary execution. I'd probably put the kettle on though, a nice cup of tea is always welcome.