Number Portability

MNP hits the Island today!

http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=36873

Mobile Number Portability is being launched in the Isle of Man today.

So, is anybody moving their number between providers?

Going back to when Sure launched I could see there being some demand, nowadays - I'm not convinced people are going to be shifting in droves eitherway.

MNP hits the Island today!

http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=36873

Mobile Number Portability is being launched in the Isle of Man today.

So, is anybody moving their number between providers?

Going back to when Sure launched I could see there being some demand, nowadays - I'm not convinced people are going to be shifting in droves eitherway.

slightly hacked off with Sure. I emailed them last week asking if they were doing anything new & they emailed me back (very quickly it has to be said which is a far cry from MT & their 'local 24/7 customer service' - 4 days for a reply about mobile services, not even an automated response) to say call charges were being reduced but no new tariffs. No-one could give me any details about these new charges so I decided to renew with MT as there wasn't a huge difference. Then I walk through town this morning to see a heavy marketing drive with new tariffs in their shop! They seem more focused towards corporate users though IMO

http://www.surecw.com/isleofman/page-479

30 users for £100 a month, 3200 minutes & texts.

I still think there's room for both providers though & it has given the customer a much better choice with some value. Competition can only be a good thing - if only it applied to our ferry services & utilities :)

I'm on sure anyways which i'll be staying but i'm not quite sure of:

http://www.surecw.com/isleofman/page-936

Unlimited Calls Booster:

Get Unlimited on-net voice calls to other Sure mobiles for just £10 per month.

What I was thinking is top up a tenner for the booster and get free calls to Sure mobiles for the month? Doesn't seem to say anything else - but i'm not quite sure of the 'on-net' bit?

Anyone help me out? - Cheers.

I'm on sure anyways which i'll be staying but i'm not quite sure of:

http://www.surecw.com/isleofman/page-936

Unlimited Calls Booster:

Get Unlimited on-net voice calls to other Sure mobiles for just £10 per month.

What I was thinking is top up a tenner for the booster and get free calls to Sure mobiles for the month? Doesn't seem to say anything else - but i'm not quite sure of the 'on-net' bit?

Anyone help me out? - Cheers.

I *think* that on-net means if you're connected to a Sure mast (ie doesn't say Manx Pronto as your network connection)..

I am currently considering the benefits of moving from MT to Sure, but, as all my family are on MT, it appears that it would cost me more to ring them if I changed. I would like to support them so that we wouldn't have to return to the monopoly that MT had should Sure pull out and have an increase in prices and decrease in quality of service and 'extras'. I would be interested to hear of anyone who has moved to Sure from MT recently and what the coverage is like. I know there have been threads in the past but an up to date opinion would be appreciated thanks

Edited by mikehpeel

After checking call charges etc between the two, I have found that a call from an MT mobile to a Sure mobile is 25 pence as opposed to 12 p the other way. This to me is the way that MT are trying to keep customers by making it expensive to call Sure. As all my family are on MT and it would cost them a fortune to ring me, it looks like I have to stick with the MT 'monopoly' (unless I can get all the family to change to Sure!!)

After checking call charges etc between the two, I have found that a call from an MT mobile to a Sure mobile is 25 pence as opposed to 12 p the other way. This to me is the way that MT are trying to keep customers by making it expensive to call Sure. As all my family are on MT and it would cost them a fortune to ring me, it looks like I have to stick with the MT 'monopoly' (unless I can get all the family to change to Sure!!)

With two operators then there can no longer be a 'monopoly'. There has now been a choice of providers for two?? years & it is a choice which we wanted for several years and yet still we're not happy :rolleyes: Calls from my MT contract to Sure numbers are 20p not 25. Although I'm interested in their 'per second' billing. It sounds good as Mt charge you min 60 secs (think this is norm for most operators though). Nothing would have drawn me to MT yesterday - their shop front was bare & nothing to encourage me to stay with them. Sure on the other hand were all singing all dancing. But then maybe this is their make or break turning point. Wonder if they're relying on a lot of MT customers porting over. Still interested to hear of any experiences though on switching - easy, better, complicated???

With two operators then there can no longer be a 'monopoly'. There has now been a choice of providers for two?? years & it is a choice which we wanted for several years and yet still we're not happy :rolleyes: Calls from my MT contract to Sure numbers are 20p not 25. Although I'm interested in their 'per second' billing. It sounds good as Mt charge you min 60 secs (think this is norm for most operators though). Nothing would have drawn me to MT yesterday - their shop front was bare & nothing to encourage me to stay with them. Sure on the other hand were all singing all dancing. But then maybe this is their make or break turning point. Wonder if they're relying on a lot of MT customers porting over. Still interested to hear of any experiences though on switching - easy, better, complicated???

25p is pay as you go rate. I said 'monopoly' as MT seem to be making it costly to ring sure so that people like myself think hard about changing as it would cost my family a fortune to ring me, so they have me by the short and curlys!!

Edited by mikehpeel

I went from Sure back to MT a while back after getting hacked off with the level of local support and various coverage and service issues. At the time there was no portability in place so I binned the Sure number and took up a Manx one again.

From my experience I would describe Sure as the mobile equivalent of an expensive Ryan Air. No customer service, no communication and half the time the service doesn’t work. No grudges against the staff at Sure they’re a nice bunch but beyond sales I had no technical support whatsoever and their Jersey call centre was bordering on being offensive.

Regardless I see MT are now offering £75 off a new handset to existing and new customers, which makes it a no-brainer on the cost, service and network front for me to stick with them.

Does anyone work out better off on Sure than MT overall?