Relish

oogie boogie

Er no, a Fredddy Fish isn't a child -0/10 for observation. But you can take the batteries out of the mechanical fish thing. I repeat I am not anti baby/children.But surely no one would disagree that a screaming child in the middle of a restaurant does not make for a comfortable meal. Non?

Children aren't battery operated toys! You need tolerance and understanding, not just simply shove them out of the way and pretend they don't exist. They don't always scream, they sometimes scream, and you'd hope people would be understanding enough to deal with it and not expect them to be segregated by the serially intolerant.

You ask for tolerance, I ask for consideration.

As an individual I exhibit both, Repeat I am not anti baby/children but as a parent realise sometimes their behaviour can cause discomfiture for others who have paid good money to enjoy their meal in peace.

I welcome well behaved children in restaurants but as you say children (more particularly babies) sometimes scream (incesssantly). So perhaps they should not be brought into that environment. (as much for them, if they are screaming they are surely not happy there?)

Again , as with your cycling posts you come across as serially selfish

I concur, as a parent myself, my wife and I never went to proper restaurants and suchlike with our children when they were very little, for the exact reason that small babies and toddlers are prone to tantrums/screaming/wailing with no means of reasoning with them to be quiet. It just ruins the environment for everyone in the area and the parents can't enjoy themselves either - hence we tended to go for picnics or to less formal cafes with outside areas and that sort of thing.

I went out for a meal a couple of weeks ago with a mate of mine who I literally only see once per year, he makes a point of visiting the island every year and we have a few beers and a chat and what have you, as part of that we go out for a meal or two, and for one of our meals this year we went to The Swan in Ramsey.

All was fine until a perfectly nice looking family sat on the table next to us, with a small baby and a toddler with them. However, maybe it was 'cause the place was crowded, or a bit too hot, or whatever, but the baby decided it didn't want to be there and set up the most amazing frontage of screaming and wailing, the parents concentrated on attempting to console the baby, which annoyed the toddler (not enough attention perhaps) who then starting screaming and stamping himself and running around the place. Thus commenced around 15 minutes of no one in the area being able to talk to each other, the poor waiting staff were forced to attempt to dodge a psychotic toddler on the rampage whilst trying to carry hot drinks and plates of food, needless to say none of the family actually got to eat anything (they managed to get a bit of a feed down the baby). The mum and dad were doing their best but couldn't manage to keep both children calm simultaneously, me and my mate just wolfed down our food and left to go somewhere else where we might be able to conduct a conversation.

To my mind the parents were selfish taking two such young children into that environment, The Swan's very nicely done out these days but at the end of the day it's still a pub and as such not really a great place for young children to be, and all they ended up doing was having a miserable time themselves and making everyone else miserable as well. No one would tolerate a couple of adults being so incredibly noisy and anti-social, so I don't see what the special exemption is for children.

It was a gorgeous afternoon as well, and Ramsey's pretty well sorted for picnics in the park or cafes that are more geared to children such as the Mooragh Park or the swimming pool cafe - why cram two tiny children into a noisy adult-filled pub?

There's nothing stopping them of course, apart from common sense and a bit of consideration for other people I guess.

I welcome well behaved children in restaurants but as you say children (more particularly babies) sometimes scream (incesssantly). So perhaps they should not be brought into that environment. (as much for them, if they are screaming they are surely not happy there?)

Selfish? You're saying that mothers with hcildren shouldn't be in a cafe in the shopping centre of douglas with children, and I'm selfish?

I've three kinds, and I wouldn't hesitate to take any of them into a caf when they were babies. If they kicked off, which was very rare, I'd just take them outside for a few mins, no bother at all.

I'm not talking about takking babies to restaurants, we're talking about a caf in town. According to you mothers should eat slop in kfc or take their kids home because they might kick off and disturb you? Get a grip, its a caf, there might be kids in there, if you can't tolerate a bit of noise, don't go in there yourself.

I really don't understand how people became so intollerant, these are other people, they shouldn't hermit themselves away because they have babies. It's not a bloody desease.

Selfish? You're saying that mothers with hcildren shouldn't be in a cafe in the shopping centre of douglas with children, and I'm selfish?

I've three kinds, and I wouldn't hesitate to take any of them into a caf when they were babies. If they kicked off, which was very rare, I'd just take them outside for a few mins, no bother at all.

I'm not talking about takking babies to restaurants, we're talking about a caf in town. According to you mothers should eat slop in kfc or take their kids home because they might kick off and disturb you? Get a grip, its a caf, there might be kids in there, if you can't tolerate a bit of noise, don't go in there yourself.

I really don't understand how people became so intollerant, these are other people, they shouldn't hermit themselves away because they have babies. It's not a bloody desease.

Right so you've backed down a bit now talking about cafes, rather than all eateries in general. Yes as CF points out some places are more suitable than others to take small children than others but his/her experience illustrates perfectly the problems that can be caused.

Glad you were responsible by taking your babies outside if they "kicked off". What if it was raining?. Others however are not so considerate and other babies are not so easily placated.

Of course having babies is not a disease, it's a joy. But it does not negate your moral responsibility to think of how your actions may affect others.

Right so you've backed down a bit now talking about cafes, rather than all eateries in general. Yes as CF points out some places are more suitable than others to take small children than others but his/her experience illustrates perfectly the problems that can be caused.

I'm not backing down at all. I was responding to your "I don't understand why parents bring small children into cafe's/resteraunts or pubs". You're basically saying they can't go anywhere except Maccyd's. That's utterly rediculous. Take tower house or the cafe in the strand centre, they're both surrounded by noise, shopers, kids, all sorts of crap, and you think a baby is going to upset people? Pubs? They're generally not places you go for a quiet meal, and kids are only allowed in early on anyway, what's the problem?

Glad you were responsible by taking your babies outside if they "kicked off". What if it was raining?. Others however are not so considerate and other babies are not so easily placated.

Big deal. They're people, be understanding, be tolerant. They didn't do it on purpose, they didn't stick pins into their baby until it cried.

Of course having babies is not a disease, it's a joy. But it does not negate your moral responsibility to think of how your actions may affect others.

You only seem to see any issue from your own perspective.

Er no, I think of others. I think that's the difference between us

Everyone except your quanranteened families. What are you doing that's so considerate, telling other people how to behave to comply with your standards?

Er no, I think of others. I think that's the difference between us

Everyone except your quanranteened families.

Why must you misrepresent everything I say?

Was at Tynwald Fair today with my son. It was lovely to see all the families there enjoying the occasison (sp).

Only downside was paying £4 for a "Manx Lamb burger" that I'm sure came from Iceland (still that's off topic)

Er no, a Fredddy Fish isn't a child -0/10 for observation. But you can take the batteries out of the mechanical fish thing. I repeat I am not anti baby/children.But surely no one would disagree that a screaming child in the middle of a restaurant does not make for a comfortable meal. Non?

Children aren't battery operated toys! You need tolerance and understanding, not just simply shove them out of the way and pretend they don't exist. They don't always scream, they sometimes scream, and you'd hope people would be understanding enough to deal with it and not expect them to be segregated by the serially intolerant.

You ask for tolerance, I ask for consideration.

As an individual I exhibit both, Repeat I am not anti baby/children but as a parent realise sometimes their behaviour can cause discomfiture for others who have paid good money to enjoy their meal in peace.

Back to what u said earlier, maybe u should go home and eat and let the babies do the social scene...

FFS....I will take my children where i like!

How do you suppose a child is going to learn how to behave in a public place if you want to banish them, i personally dont go with "children should be seen and not heard", what kind of miserable t**t does!

Some adults behave pretty badly in public, why dont you suggest "they" eat in shiteries like KFC, Mac Donalds or Mooragh cafe!!!

I do however agree a pub is no place for a baby or child (inside or outside), but in the meantime i will continue to take my children into wherever i choose.

Thankyou.

Some adults behave pretty badly in public, why dont you suggest "they" eat in shiteries like KFC, Mac Donalds or Mooragh cafe!!!

This is actually a really good idea. But is it fair on the people who work there?

This is actually a really good idea. But is it fair on the people who work there?

They could be given an "bonus" for having to work in a dangerous and difficult enviroment?? lol