Jump to content

[BBC News] Schoolboy dies in Thai pool


Newsbot
 Share

Recommended Posts

An Isle of Man schoolboy has died on holiday in Thailand, after he was reportedly sucked into a swimming pool pumping system.

 

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/2/hi/europe...man/8147032.stm

 

Such awful tragic news. My thoughts are with the family at this sad time.

Yes, just awful. So very, very tragic. My thougts are with the family too. I have just grabbed my 14 year old and given him a particularly long hug before school.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Indeed very sad although it does appear that this is not an isolated incident.

 

This is interesting: http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2009/07/12/...me-park-tunnel/

 

Nathan’s death is the latest of a series of tragedies to have befallen families holidaying in the resort.

 

An 11-yr-old Danish boy died after being electrocuted because of loose wiring around a hotel’s swimming pools, and a British father and his two daughters were all gored by an elephant which went berserk in the local Nong Nooch Tropical Gardens.

 

Geoff Taylor, from St Helen’s, Lancashire, subsequently sued the resort for the death of his 20-yr-old daughter Andrea, and injuries to his 23-yr-old daughter Helen and himself.

 

Two years ago after a five year court battle he was awarded costs and just £15,000 by a Thai court.

 

The Thai judge told him that in Thailand the courts did not award the same compensation as in the west.

 

*** The copy in the Independent is accredited in error to James Stewart of the Press Association. The UK’s largest ‘lifting’ agency for international copy.

 

**** Towards the end of this investigation subscribers to news from ASTV (Asia Satellite Television) were told that although ‘Rhys’ was an accomplice of Nathan in the lifting of the grate they had decided not to proceed with charges. I make no further comment.

 

Jim Clark hit out at a Thai cameraman after they tried to film his son's body on the floor of the pump room, lashing at one with a spanner. Thai police have subsequently ordered him to pay 12,000 baht (about £240) compensation.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very sad, but I am sure he knew that perhaps he shouldn't be removing a grill and that the grill was there for a reason. A heavy price to pay for a pair of goggles. I think this is a lesson to young people to adhere to safety measures. Speed limits being one example. A terrible thing to happen and unfortunately there seems to have been a lot of young lives associated with this island lost recently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very sad, but I am sure he knew that perhaps he shouldn't be removing a grill and that the grill was there for a reason. A heavy price to pay for a pair of goggles. I think this is a lesson to young people to adhere to safety measures. Speed limits being one example. A terrible thing to happen and unfortunately there seems to have been a lot of young lives associated with this island lost recently.

When you're a kid you don't think about things like the prudence of removing a grill. You live much more immediately. In this case, maybe it was something like they were the third pair of goggles his parents had bought him that holiday and he thought they would be cross if he lost them again. This is the sort of thing which goes on in kids' minds. Furthermore, why on earth wasn't there some sort of filter fitted to prevent exactly this sort of thing happening. It is up to adults to make sure their environment is as safe as possible. Of course kids - especially boys - will act impulsively and sometimes even recklessly. It is scandalous that safeguards were not in place in a facility children are using.

Edited by Gilly G. Ossenfeffer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very sad, but I am sure he knew that perhaps he shouldn't be removing a grill and that the grill was there for a reason. A heavy price to pay for a pair of goggles. I think this is a lesson to young people to adhere to safety measures. Speed limits being one example. A terrible thing to happen and unfortunately there seems to have been a lot of young lives associated with this island lost recently.

 

 

Perhaps this grill should have been screwed down!

This boy only did what any other boy would have done in the same situation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is scandalous that safeguards were not in place in a facility children are using.

 

Thailand is not the West. It's a poor country, and very different standards apply.

 

We can be shocked and saddened, but we shouldn't be surprised.

 

S

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is scandalous that safeguards were not in place in a facility children are using.

 

Thailand is not the West. It's a poor country, and very different standards apply.

We can be shocked and saddened, but we shouldn't be surprised.

S

I disagree. Many of these resorts are heavily promoted by european travel firms and one would assume that they had carried out checks on safety before promoting these resorts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...