Play Windows 7 Discounted!

I've been using the RC of W7 and after an initial dislike I'm getting used to it. For an RC it's very stable. Does the professional version allow you to choose between 32bit and 64bit install? Quite fancy going 64bit

Edit yes it does support both versions.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

Can't see any real benefit as a home user for choosing Professional version over Home Premium. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Edited by Mutley

I'm running the latest RC of Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate (still available as a freebie from MS, killswitch isn't until next July,) and I have to say it's pretty damned awesome, and this is coming from someone who hates Vista with a passion. Even though Win7 is still fundamentally Vista, it's different enough to be, well, different :D

Will definitely be purchasing when it's released.

I'm not so sure about it. When i open up a folder with loads of pictures in, it sometimes hangs for ages before beginning to show the images as previews instead of the basic icon image

This is with the files stored on a 10,000rpm Velociraptor as well, so i don't think it's a delay reading from the drive

Also does this with videos as well

Always worked fine on Vista though.

Any PC with Vista pre-installed bought between now and when 7 is released get a free upgrade as well. If you're thinking of new hardware in the next few months anyway save your money!

from 28th June onwards to be exact :)

I take it the 'E' means it will be the European versions, without IE as standard?

So, if it comes without a browser, how do you download a browser? :huh:

Find out here.

Step 1 – Launch (and configure) Windows Media Player

Throughout the OS, you’ll find references to Windows Media Player. Click one of them. You’ll be welcomed by a wizard that takes a good five minutes to go through, if you don’t choose the Recommended option.

Step 2 – Search for your browser, using the Windows Media Guide

If it isn’t already on your screen, open the Windows Media Guide. You can do this by clicking the very large Media Guide button in the lower-left corner of Windows Media Player. In the upper-right corner of the Guide, type your browser of choice into the Search box. Purely for example purposes, cough, I typed “Firefox”.

Step 3 – Click an ad, download your browser

Upon completion of your search, you’ll be presented with some advertising. We’ll use this to our advantage to hop outside the cage we’re in. Pick an ad, click it. If it doesn’t take you to the manufacturers site in less than a few clicks, go back and pick a different ad. Eventually you’ll end up at the desired location with the binaries you need trickling down to your desktop.

For those that wish to download Internet Explorer, you can simply type the keyword IE8 or Opera. I’m serious.