Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
oogie boogie

New Bar On Victoria Street

With my username? You'd think it would be a given. My supplier has a full upright and cabaret, both in mint condition, but no joy yet.

Sorry for replying straight away, but I think it's worth pointing out that the games part is just a small part of what we're doing. We want a retro thing, and it should be really good, but it's just part of the whole vibe, despite the stock of retro 'things' we have, the stock is so we can keep things fresh, we're not opening an arcade or anything close - the games part of the logo, well, I am not that thrilled with it, as it gives the wrong idea until the model is explained. And I don't want to go into too much detail now 'cos of the whole marketing thing... heh. But basically, we hope that during the day it's going to be funky, quality and different and in the evening it's focussed more on the fine dining, continental vibe feel.

Service, quality and value for money are the three most important things. The components that achieve that, to a certain extent, less so.

Thanks for the good wishes also!!

So no Dragons Lair at night then? No problem, I will just go at lunchtimes :)

I know what you are saying and I think it is a great idea about the retro stuff in a restaurant. I will wait and see though until you explain the model but the idea I have is its going to be a great success.

Good Luck.

We want a retro thing, and it should be really good, but it's just part of the whole vibe, despite the stock of retro 'things' we have,

You are Kenton, former manager of Jack's and I claim my £5 prize

It sounds like a new Sun Valley.

Tea 5p and for the posh, coffee 10p.

I drank tea.

Ghosts of Barry Noble past you think KB?

there are a couple of issues with pinball, but we're trying to get a couple. We'd want something of the same era, the area with the games is retro early 80s aimed at people who remember then. Which means, i think, that we'd need a mechanical pin, as opposed to a more recent one. Headache maintenance wise and very expensive.

Well all pinballs have a mechanical element to them :)

If you're meaning electro-mechanical pinballs i.e. no CPU control, then they stopped making them around 1978. (And yes, those early ones can be very expensive to purchase and a nightmare to maintain.)

All pinballs from that point onward were of the more modern variety, i.e. they used a CPU control board and associated electronic gubbins. Price of purchase can still be high, but if bought in good condition, can be very reliable over the long term and relatively easy to maintain.

What's your cut-off point? Early 80s does limit you a bit, but from 1986 onwards Williams used the System-11 system which is extremely reliable and still very much supported in terms of spares and repairs. (Prior to that will be System 3, 4, and 6 - which are also all CPU controlled but earlier techs and can be a bit flakier, but that would then include the seminal Gorgar machine as a possibility.)

In all honesty I'm not sure pinball would be a viable commercial proposition in and of itself these days, and they are noisy, even with the volume turned down, and I'm a self-confessed pinball nut so I have my own agenda, and I miss the two pinballs I used to own..... That said, if you do get a pinball or two in, I'll make damn sure your place is on the route when I'm out with my friends and/or going for a meal :D

there are a couple of issues with pinball, but we're trying to get a couple. We'd want something of the same era, the area with the games is retro early 80s aimed at people who remember then. Which means, i think, that we'd need a mechanical pin, as opposed to a more recent one. Headache maintenance wise and very expensive.

Addams Family pinball, the best pinball machine ever made!

As it's not a bar, we will have only a restaurant licence, so if you want alcohol, you have to eat...

Er, 3 vodka redbulls and a packet of peanuts please.

My £0.20:

Raiden, SmashTV, Vulcan Venture, Gauntlet II, Super Sprint.

Will there be a foyet?

Addams Family pinball, the best pinball machine ever made!

Arguably yes, (Twilight Zone is better....), but very much not early 80s :D

My old babies.... Sniff....... I do so miss them. (That said they did take some looking after to keep them at 100% functionality, the Twilight Zone in particular needed a fair bit of TLC, although then again it is one of the most complex pinballs ever made.)

Also, Addams Family is a bit easy once you get to grips with it, whereas TZ can always provide a decent challenge.

post-16567-1247929959_thumb.jpg

They used to have that Star Trek one in the snooker club on Ballaquayle Road.

It was great.