Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Newsbot

Swine Flu Megathread

I was just informed on Friday, that we will be receiving 2000, yes, I said 2000 protective face masks at my office! It's "to have on hand in case people want them this fall when the swine flu gets worse." That's what I was told. I'm the office manager in our building of 125 staff members. It's going to get ridiculus. I read a few articles that said washing your hands was the most important thing and that these masks do very little to prevent catching the flu. My big question is, where am I going to store these things??? AND how am I supposed to answer the phone (I also work the reception desk) if I'm wearing a mask??? (Not that I want to anyway). :huh:

It's really not been all it was cracked up to be this swine flu. From what i'd read in the papers I was expecting piles of bodies in the street because there aren't enough people left alive to bury them. I was looking forward to a kind of 'last person left alive' scenario where i could ride my pushbike around tesco whilst playing my CDs on the tannoy.

The media reports have seemed to die down a bit, at least here in the US. While I was in Heathrow recently, I saw several people wearing the masks and asked a security person about it. She said they were travelers from "far away" who were under the assumption that all of the UK was infected with the virus!

Regarding my office, I see a handful of people who always use a paper towel when they have to touch the door handles. And guess what? They are the ones who are often ill!

Ahhh... the Killer Runny Nose returns to the news! Why are they calling it 'Swine Flu' anyway? It is not a Swine Flu, it is a Human Flu, and in the wider picture it is a mild one too.

The death rates you read about are misleading as they in fact do not represent deaths primarily from H1N1, but (on the whole) probably from other causes - namely bacterial infections. Cases are being diagnosed without testing, too! This turns all common seasonal 'flu-like ilnesses' into 'Swine Flu', which is so wrong!

The few cases of serious viral pneumonitis with H1N1 are being overplayed by supposedly trusted public health officials along with riduculous propaganda threats such as a supposed 'risk to endangered indigenous populations in developing countries' to try to justify huge spending on unproven drugs and potentially dangerous and seemingly unwarranted vaccines. Misinformation and insinuation is still rife, and to what end? Who is really benefitting?

Misinformation and insinuation is still rife, and to what end? Who is really benefitting?

It's the way of the world now. All part of the politics of fear, the new control.

Nobody has said it's anything more than that have they?

Nobody has said it's anything more than that have they?

Not really, but the media have managed to convey the impression that it's like the Black Death - only worse.

Not really, but the media have managed to convey the impression that it's like the Black Death - only worse.

For example?

Douglas was full of dead bodies this morning.

Decaying corpses lying in the street with seagulls pecking at the eyes.

Longtails scampering over the bodies, feral dogs feasting on the remains.

Or maybe I imagined it.

Douglas was full of dead bodies this morning.

Decaying corpses lying in the street with seagulls pecking at the eyes.

Longtails scampering over the bodies, feral dogs feasting on the remains.

Or maybe I imagined it.

You really must stop spending the night in Pulrose bluemonday