Strand Street ! Dear,dear

old_scrote

I reckon the lease agreements that the landlords refuse to budge from might be contributing to the closure of these premises. I understand in general that the charges only go upwards year by year and are due regardless of whether or not the business is profitable at these levels of cost.

That's one part but honestly you only have to walk down Strand Street once to work out why the shops are going bust and generally its because the only people who frequent there are shifty looking tracksuit wearing gap-toothed shite arses. It makes you ashamed to be Manx to see the feckless Adidas hat wearing peasants that count as consumers in our main shopping district. If you have a shop that sells condoms fags and fake tan you'd probably be recession proof over here.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Strand Street is close to being beyond redemption. It’s been in decline for decades and too many retailers, predominantly the UK high Street brands have been allowed to butcher the original shop fascias and architecture over the years

True, although this isn't that much different in a lot of UK highstreets. Both Norwich and Bristol have had a lot of the character of their original centres torn out, with pretty fascias being sacrificed for garish plate glass and concrete displays jarring uncomfortably with the preserved upper levels of the buildings. Even York isn't that great once you get out of the Shambles - it's only really on the commercial outskirts that towns retain any of their character and charm, if at all (i.e. Clifton, The Lanes, and The Shambles for Bristol, Norwich and York respectively). Unfortunately a lot of local authorities in Great Britain in general seem to be besotted with the idea of development, and will rush to accomodate the intentions of retailers and the like without much consideration for any of the alternatives.

Having said that, although Strand Street is still a bit of a tip, I wouldn't say that the past few decades has been a period of continuous decline. I'd say that before places started closing, as characterless and bland as it was, Strand street was still in a better looking state than it was in the late eighties/early to mid nineties!

Castletown used (c.1980s) to have a high proportion of original Georgian/Victorian shop fronts (there should be a photographic survey in Manx Museum) - many wrecked by 'development' or developers profits - Strand St suffers like many UK shopping streets by a desire by the marketing people to impose a corporate image on all properties - this wrecks any local feel with totally unsympathetic fascias etc but then Douglas corporation is not exactly noted for its dedication to the environment.

Hope that you are right about the other towns' potential to develop. Have seen Castletown decline and can only hope that Callow's Yard does bring some life back. What it needs IMO are some good quality 'basic' shops such as a good bakery, a good fruit and veg shop and a good fishmongers (maybe a combined one with the fruit and veg like it used to have). Art galleries and fine china are OK but are not core shops if a retailing are is going to thrive.

Your comments on the way Strand Street facades have been allowed to deteriorate into characterless mismatches with the architecture of the street is certainly part of its decline. I personally still think it has potential but needs a lot of investment to make it attractive to shoppers and a place visitors would like to come for a browse. The current economic environment can't help - mind you we keep on being told that we are doing really well here - no recession.

I think the fishmonger in Castle Street is very good. Good range of fish, particularly if you get there in the morning and very obliging and well trained staff. I do miss the butcher that used to be in Castle Street and the Robinson's that used to be Strand Street. The veg in Shoprite Chester Street can be substandard at times.

Castletown used (c.1980s) to have a high proportion of original Georgian/Victorian shop fronts (there should be a photographic survey in Manx Museum) - many wrecked by 'development' or developers profits - Strand St suffers like many UK shopping streets by a desire by the marketing people to impose a corporate image on all properties - this wrecks any local feel with totally unsympathetic fascias etc but then Douglas corporation is not exactly noted for its dedication to the environment.

But unfortunately all these shops are high-street chains with a strong corporate feel to them.

But unfortunately all these shops are high-street chains with a strong corporate feel to them - if they are allowed to get away with it

Amended your statement. Council members and planners could insist on maintenance of a streetscape, they don't.

I wanted to replaster the outside of our cottage and had to jump through hoops for the planners because I wanted a plain finish rather than 'false blockwork'. However they said I could paint it any colour I wanted...as it would not alter its appearance. Was very tempted to look out the old pot of sky blue pink paint.

I understand some councils have been quite fierce with MacDonalds to make them fit in with the local streetscape. I seem to recall that the High Street in Winchester has quite strict planning guidelines on shopfronts.

I reckon the lease agreements that the landlords refuse to budge from might be contributing to the closure of these premises. I understand in general that the charges only go upwards year by year and are due regardless of whether or not the business is profitable at these levels of cost.

That's one part but honestly you only have to walk down Strand Street once to work out why the shops are going bust and generally its because the only people who frequent there are shifty looking tracksuit wearing gap-toothed shite arses. It makes you ashamed to be Manx to see the feckless Adidas hat wearing peasants that count as consumers in our main shopping district. If you have a shop that sells condoms fags and fake tan you'd probably be recession proof over here.

Chav Central :ph34r:

I understand some councils have been quite fierce with MacDonalds to make them fit in with the local streetscape. I seem to recall that the High Street in Winchester has quite strict planning guidelines on shopfronts.

There are a few like this, though I think they're in the minority. Unfortunately, I think a lot of councils tend to measure the entirity of their success strictly in terms of numbers, i.e. X amount of investment brought in, Y minutes shaved off the average commuting time, and so on. Unfortunately, this is the kind of mentality that in the UK results in historical almshouses and medieval city walls being demolished to make way for a roundabout or ring road.

Edited by VinnieK

Chav Central :ph34r:

Ah good old Manx snobbery! Are most of the shops that have closed UK chains - so it doesn't matter how well they are doing or not over here?

I believe the local branch of M & S does very well...

Strand street sums up the iom..not a very cosmopolitan place - just take a look at the lack of good bars/restaurants/clubs compared to anywhere else in the world!

The place seems to be dying on its feet and we know who to blame for that ! the usless goverment we have - which are all corrupt anyway - allegedly i might add otherwise this post may be removed.

Strand street sums up the iom..not a very cosmopolitan place - just take a look at the lack of good bars/restaurants/clubs compared to anywhere else in the world!

The place seems to be dying on its feet and we know who to blame for that ! the usless goverment we have - which are all corrupt anyway - allegedly i might add otherwise this post may be removed.

I think you are to blame.

Not wanting to interupt the pessimism on this thread too much, but I think for the size of the population and compared to what is happening in the Uk, Douglas isn't doing too badly. There are a number of new cafes opened up within the last few years in Douglas and there are a variety of resturants.

Admittedly I've found the bars/pubs very expensive recently and the club scene is laughable, but we have to remember that with a population of only 80,000+ the Isle of Man is never going to be that cosmopolitan - surely that is part of it's charm?

Not the current global recession then?

No, thinking about it you're quite right. The "useless government" should devote their energies to opening "good bars /restaurants/clubs" etc .

Chez Tony? ,Bell's Brasserie?, Craine's Cuisine?