District 9

Yes like why didn't he just fly home 20 years ago!

That was kind of explained by him taking 20 years to build the fuel refining process and finding the black stuff. I was more wondering about how the command module just happened to land where they placed district 9, bit of a coincidence! And how did the mothership move without the fuel, it was in the command module at the time? And if the alien weapons were so badass ninja, why didn't Christopher just use em to defend himself? He wasn't shy with them when breaking into the HQ.

Didn't spoil a great film like :) Hope for a sequel!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an awesome film this is, absolutely grabbed me right from the start and never let go.

It's got a full scale Hollywood budget and effects, but as a film it's far more involved and a lot less dumb than the average Hollywood fare - a really rare treat to watch something as good as this.

9/10 at least, may even get a 10/10 on a rewatch, which it definitely deserves.

No name cast, but the main protagonist and supporting cast are superb, the CGI is probably the best I've ever seen, the action is enthralling, and it's actually got a point as well.

Hugely recommended.

Other potential plot holes:-

How come when it's taken 20 years to collect enough fluid and then Wikus sprays loads of it on himself they still have enough to fly the ship?

Also in a shanty town of 1.8 million it seems highly unlikely that the first shack Wikus looks for refuge in when the helicopters arrive just happens to be Christopher's.

Other potential plot holes:-

How come when it's taken 20 years to collect enough fluid and then Wikus sprays loads of it on himself they still have enough to fly the ship?

Also in a shanty town of 1.8 million it seems highly unlikely that the first shack Wikus looks for refuge in when the helicopters arrive just happens to be Christopher's.

In terms of plot holes District 9 doesn't fare too bad really, I'm happy to suspend disbelief when watching a film but time and time again these days I end up thinking to myself 'Oh come on your audience really isn't that stupid.'

(I'm looking at you, The Dark Knight, ludicrously overblown lump of steaming shit that didn't even make any sense, god I hate that film.)

A few things occurred to me when watching D9, but nothing totally ruinous, although why did he hide the tube a tin box in his shack when he had an entire hidden underground lab to stash it in? and suchlike did jar a bit.

I watched D9 again last night and am happy to confirm that on the Cresta Ass-Kick-O-Meter, it gets a healthy 9 ass kicks out of 10.

Also, the final awesome killing frenzy with the robot is one of the best losing the plot and going psycho sequences ever committed to film.

Finally, it's so refreshing to see a sci-fi action film pitched at a more mature audience, with proper violence and swearing in it (they were always going to get an R in the States), I hate films that have been neutered to get the coveted PG-13 in the States which is usually a 12 or 12A here. The 12/12A phenomenon is one of the main reasons I get films on DVD these days and watch them at home instead of going to the cinema, bloody children with their noises and laughing in the wrong places and rustling sweet wrappers and not understanding anything properly.

That's why they have to go to school, 'cause they're stupid!

Edited by Cresta Fiesta

A few things occurred to me when watching D9, but nothing totally ruinous, although why did he hide the tube a tin box in his shack when he had an entire hidden underground lab to stash it in? and suchlike did jar a bit.

Because the underground lab was in a different place?

Because the underground lab was in a different place?

A-ha! You'd think I'd have noticed that really.

It's still silly though, why have a very well hidden underground lab and then keep one of the most critical components of the entire 20 year plan in a flimsy and completely exposed shack? Really, you'd just do that in the well hidden underground lab as well, wouldn't you?