The Tt Safety Debate

5. The machines should be restricted to reduce speed and thus serious injury and possible death – This was carried out with MotoGP, and yet the speeds are now just the same as before. Also, and as has just been pointed out, the TT is a big “Time Trial” and as such, reducing the speed of the machinery will take away the challenge to compete.

I'm no expert on this but I would have thought trying to achieve similar lap times with less power would add a lot more challenged to the event. It's all well and good lap times coming down with increasingly faster bikes but a reduction in lap time on a slower bike would surely be more impressive?

Although the counter to this argument is that in reducing power racers will be more likely to brake later and try to carry more speed through the corners to try and make up time. Meaning that risk of coming off is actually increased.

I have thought for a while that we are reaching the limit of what is possible, 1000cc times aren’t dropping a huge amount and 600cc times are starting to catch up. I'm sure there will be a point in the not so distant future where both 1000cc and 600cc lap times are equal and the only limiting factor is the course itself.

But like I say I'm no expert and have only a passing interest in the racing.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those of you with reasonably long memories like me, will remember that the TT course and Southern 100 course used to be closed for racing during International Cycle Week, for a couple of races. I think they opened it at lunch time, but then closed it for the big two lap race in the afternoon. Cycling is not a dangerous sport, especially on closed roads (although I seem to remember there was one fatality one year). Basically, it was not popular like the TT so people complained about the disruption is caused them for a few hours a year and it was stopped (PLONKERS!).

That event was very beneficial to the IOM and would have grown into a massive event. It also afforded local competitors the chance to meet and compete against some of the best riders in the world. Even though International Cycle Week only lasted a few years, it helped spawn a massive interest in cycling, and now at least one local cyclist is amongst the best in the world.

This event was killed off by the same moaning, apathetic hypocrites who want the TT, MGP, and S100 stopped. The problem is these motorsport events are far more popular, so death and safety is the only angle they can take to fight their selfish cause.

RC Drift is wrong saying that the course is just as dangerous as it was when it was first tarmaced. Most of the roads have been widened, the roads are generally much smoother, the tarmac itself is grippier/better. Many corners have been re-profiled over the years (Quarry Bends & Windy, for example). The increasing use of air fence instead of straw bales is a further improvement.

More improvements are obviously necessary, but as they say, Rome was not built in a day. Up at Kate's Cottage right now work is going on which is not directly related to the TT, but TT safety issues are always taken into account when work is done on the mountain course.

As for stroking a lion or a kitten, you can stroke a kitten any day of the week at Mann Cat Sanctury. However, stroking a lion, as risky as it may be would be any cat lover's dream. A once in a lifetime chance. Hell yes, I would do it!

One important question:

HOW MANY OF THE POSTERS TO THIS TOPIC HAVE COMPETED ON THE MOUNTAIN CIRCUIT?

Finally, it is apparent that quite a few have moved to the Isle of Man from elsewhere in the UK, and to them I would say "If you don't want to play, then you shouldn't have joined"

I think you must be the only person who's commented on this thread who thinks that in order to have a valid opinion on the TT you must have raced in it. And as for the "boat in the morning" chestnut - no-one seriously thinks that's a valid response in a debate.
Again...........When faced with opposition to his mind-fix, he simply dismisses it as irrelevant.

Does anyone else regard johnnyrotten's "thinking" as blinkered, prejudiced, one-sided, bigotted and discriminatory?

I do not. I feel his posts in this topic have been level-headed, given some of the rabid pro-TT responses he has got. larryd's post fell well short of the Reithian ideal of "good" forum posts and I feel his specific response to larryd was spot on. The TT relies in part on the goodwill of the general public to operate and so the implication from larryd's post that only competitors can debate views on the event is incorrect. As regards the "boat in the morning", in general this response is quite rightly treated as a joke by many contributors to this forum.

One important question:

HOW MANY OF THE POSTERS TO THIS TOPIC HAVE COMPETED ON THE MOUNTAIN CIRCUIT?

Finally, it is apparent that quite a few have moved to the Isle of Man from elsewhere in the UK, and to them I would say "If you don't want to play, then you shouldn't have joined"

I think you must be the only person who's commented on this thread who thinks that in order to have a valid opinion on the TT you must have raced in it. And as for the "boat in the morning" chestnut - no-one seriously thinks that's a valid response in a debate.

Again...........When faced with opposition to his mind-fix, he simply dismisses it as irrelevant.

Does anyone else regard johnnyrotten's "thinking" as blinkered, prejudiced, one-sided, bigotted and discriminatory?

Two things, Fossils.

1 - whether or not you have competed in the TT or MGP or anywhere else is UTTERLY irrelevant in this context.

2 - Mind-fix. Give examples.

whoops, three things -

3 - blinkered, prejudiced, one-sided, bigotted and discriminatory. Where and when, specifically?

As I've said all along, these are the facts and the statistics and all I have done is thrown them open to debate.

And as I've also said, here and elsewhere on this forum, when people run out of cogent reasoning they descend to emotional and colourful language to make unsubstantiated accustations of irrational thought on the part of anyone they disagree with**. It doesn't do the poster any favours and contributes nothing to the discussion.

** Although I must say that this thread has been amazingly well-behaved compared to others on this forum, so well done everybody. And thanks. The more I think about that, the more I appreciate it.

That event was very beneficial to the IOM and would have grown into a massive event. It also afforded local competitors the chance to meet and compete against some of the best riders in the world. Even though International Cycle Week only lasted a few years, it helped spawn a massive interest in cycling, and now at least one local cyclist is amongst the best in the world.

Cambon - International Cycle Week was in decline and had been for a number of years. It wasn't attracting anything near the level of interest it used to get even in the '90s when teams from across the globe took part. At the end I think they were lucky to get a Dutch team involved and to call it International was looking a bit cheeky. The event wasn't beneficial to the IOM certainly not in terms of finance brought to the Island and from what I remember of it, the TT circuit would be closed in its entirety during the main three lap race. Which was a long time. That's why people were pissed off with it. If the circuit was lined with people then I'm sure it would be running today.

Nice to the the Rapid Reaction TT Course Repair Team are out in force this morning.

At least 6 men, tonnes of cones, traffic lights and a road sweeper and the Governors Bridge.

In under less than a week to repair what was really minor damage at best to a road.

I'd hate to think that the workmen were only there so promptly because its part of the TT track. Or is it me being cynical?

I accept that this does not refer to racing horses or racing bikes. However, the information sent to me by a friend may be of interest to some members of the forum.

"Hour-per-hour in the saddle, more riders are seriously injured riding horses than motorcycles. That is the surprising revelation of a new study from researchers at the University of Calgary. Equally surprising is that those being hurt and killed are not rookie equestrians but, in large part, veteran riders."

To be honest Slim, I do believe this poster has competed in the MGP and the TT if it's who I think it is!!

I didn't question that, but I don't think you have to be mad enough to race the circuit to have an opinion on the events safety record.

5. The machines should be restricted to reduce speed and thus serious injury and possible death – This was carried out with MotoGP, and yet the speeds are now just the same as before. Also, and as has just been pointed out, the TT is a big “Time Trial” and as such, reducing the speed of the machinery will take away the challenge to compete.

I don't think that's true, everyone will be relatively slower, so there's still a challenge to win.

Basically, it was not popular like the TT so people complained about the disruption is caused them for a few hours a year and it was stopped (PLONKERS!).

Nobody has complained about the disruption in this thread, have they?

Basically, it was not popular like the TT so people complained about the disruption is caused them for a few hours a year and it was stopped (PLONKERS!).

Nobody has complained about the disruption in this thread, have they?

Probably because they're talking about safety (see title).

To be honest Slim, I do believe this poster has competed in the MGP and the TT if it's who I think it is!!

I didn't question that, but I don't think you have to be mad enough to race the circuit to have an opinion on the events safety record.

True, but 99% of the replies on here are from people who haven't or don't race, and as such, we must respect the views of those that do!!

Many have questioned whether these people should take on the TT, but in reality, it's not up to us is it, it's up to those that race to make that decision.

.... 99% of the replies on here are from people who haven't or don't race, and as such, we must respect the views of those that do!!

Many have questioned whether these people should take on the TT, but in reality, it's not up to us is it, it's up to those that race to make that decision.

Don't follow this line of reasoning at all - within the context of this thread.

Even though their opinion is bound to be biased (simply BECAUSE they do race) people who compete here have as much right to a voice as anyone else, but do they have a right to a bigger voice, an opinion that's more worthy than anyone else's? I don't think so.

By the same token, it can never be their sole responsibility to decide if it's safe to race. They'll always say yes. The very fact that Guy Martin thinks the entire buzz from road racing comes from risking death or injury ought to be sufficient evidence.